MEMORY LANE: Where were you when you first heard EVH's Eruption ? (and what did you think)

Mikhael

I heard it in the car, and thought, "WTF?" I went home, listened to it, and worked it out, although with no tapping. Then I realized the Eddie was doing the same thing Steve Hackett (of Genesis at the time) did, only a little faster, and laughed at myself for all the work I put in learning it WITHOUT tapping. It was a lot easier once I figured that out. But it's his showcase, so I've never played it in front of an audience; that's Ed's deal, and should be left with him, I think.

And yes, there was another thread about this that others have pointed a link to.

Reactions: L13

madprofessor

Summer of 1982 in my grandmothers basement. I was 12. I would buy cassettes of anything that rocked or had distorted guitar; Ozzy, ZZ top, Iron Maiden, Sabbath, Zepplin and was trying to learn by ear on my Peavy guitar I got for my birthday. It was incomprehensible, but I wasn't blown away. It took a few years to sink in. When 1984 came out, I went back and it all clicked.

shoule79

Being born in 1979 and a teen in the 90's, my first introduction to Van Halen was via Jump and the Van Hagar era.

A band I was in in high school had a kind of 60's garage thing going on, and the other guitar player wanted to cover You Really Got Me, but in the VH style, not the Kinks. I was the lead player, so he put on VH1 and let Eruption play before YRGM to pique my interest. Instantly mesmerized, and pissed that I had to learn it quickly, lol.

I was in my bedroom... I bought the album for Running with the Devil which I heard on the radio.

What did I think... Wow (of course), I was sufficiently confused and pants were sufficiently shat.

To this day, incredible.
I was in 8th grade.. standing on the street corner waiting for the city bus after school. Some guy was playing VH1 on a ghetto blaster. When I heard Eruption I couldn't even understand what was happening. I thought it was fake. Then I bought the album and really dug into it. Their stuff sounded like pure reckless abandon, kinda dangerous and raw. I was hooked.

Tadams

Silver Supporting Member
This is embarrasing - I heard Eruption/You really Got me on the radio and I thought "Boy, Dave Davies has gotten really good on guitar".

Terry Hoffman

I was in my bedroom... I bought the album for Running with the Devil which I heard on the radio.

What did I think... Wow (of course), I was sufficiently confused and pants were sufficiently shat.

To this day, incredible.
There was a summer jam on the outskirts of Great Bend, Ks. Not really sure of the date, several bands performed and Van Halen was one of them. I had never heard anything like it before!!! Totally awesome!

5150Eddie

I bought the album because I liked "Jamie's Cryin" and wanted to hear the rest of it. When Eruption played, my first impression was "when is the song actually going to start?" and I just thought it was a 'showoff' run on the fretboard not making much sense. Then I started listening to it closer and realized there was something different going on that I could not comprehend at the time but I had to figure it out!

Eldorado

Silver Supporting Member
I was more into prog rock at the time, so I was late to the party. I didn't hear Eruption (never even heard Van Halen) until 1984, when my brother gave me a mix tape he'd recorded that had Runnin' With The Devil, Eruption & You Really Got Me on it. I was impressed and amazed like everybody else had been a few years prior.
Oh, and I was in my kitchen when I first heard it.

Last edited:

BlueRiff

Of course!! I was doing busboy duties at the local Bonanza as a teen. A stoner dude was dishwasher and would crank out the tunes in the back. I came back with a huge load of dishes and this wild guitar sound is blasting from the boom box (Eruption followed by You Really Got Me). I said “who in the hell is this?”. Burnout dude: “That’s Van Halen …”. Me: “who’s that?”. That evening I got a ride to the record store and picked up the album and stared at Eddie’s pictures for about a half hour thinking “This guy is from another planet!” From that moment on, I couldn’t get enough information on these guys (e.g Guitar Player, other rock press, etc.). It really was that incredible for a teen guitarist. I think that’s all we played that summer. Acc. to my older brother - not unlike when Are You Experienced came about 11 years earlier. He is 11 years older than me. :)

Last edited:
(answering this before reading any replies, and put it on just now to refresh my memory of it...)

i'm in my 40's, but was never a Van Halen fan beyond mildly enjoying their hits on radio/MTV growing up. i don't think i heard it until maybe ten years ago, and that was from a friend who was a huge EVH fan like a lot of you guys.

honestly, it does nothing for me. at all. then or now. really the only memorable parts for me are around 0:30 (dueling banjos?) and 1:00 (some classical, oh, how cute) and i just don't care about that sort of thing. i do still love 'Runnin With The Devil' though.

i actually feel sorry for you guys, chasing the dragon for almost 40 years now. :dunno

No need. Once the x-factor of the amazing guitar stuff faded a bit I noticed a couple of things: as much as I didn't want to admit these scruffy bar denizens were not a one trick pony (1) they actually wrote songs, like, you could play them on acoustic guitar and they would translate (I mean, "Ice Cream Man" is basically an acoustic blues before the band kicks in) and (2) their backing vocals made me want to hit someone they were so good. Nobody in my band could sing like Michael Anthony for those high harmonies so we didn't even try.

SoulTrip

It was probably 1988, to be honest... I would have been 9 at the time. I was playing in in the street with an RC car, and it went out of range of the controller and went in a ditch. When I went to retrieve it, and sitting there in the ditch was a battered cassette tape - VH1. I knew of VH of course, because the Sammy era of VH was all over the radio, but hadn't heard them extensively. Of course I took the tape home, rewound it, and gave it a listen. Running with the Devil was the first thing out of my speakers, and I was astounded by how massive it sounded, above all else. By the time Eruption came on, I was kind of bored with it... but that initial impression of how massive it sounded has stuck with me forever. Core memory created there.

At that age (9) I was listening to Steely Dan, Dokken, Queensryche, Mercyful fate/King Diamond, Satriani, Budgie, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and other stuff. I didn't really dig into VH until I was 14 or so and just getting into the guitar. I didn't really start to appreciate them in whole until my 20s, when tone became important to me.

I was a zygote when VH1 came out in 78 and by the time I actually picked up on them, I had already been listening to more technical players than EVH.

Kill 'Em All

i should add that i am "impressed" with the playing and, to some degree, the blending of styles... but i still couldn't care less. i'm not really into figure skating or Jeopardy contestant know-it-alls either, something being "impressive" or showing skill only goes so far.

it's funny though, here i am thinking you guys are weird for remembering the first time you heard 'Eruption', but i'll bet it's the same as the first time i heard this:

"woah... wtf is that?!" :eeks

it said "bass solo" right on there, but as a dumb kid i couldn't comprehend that this was actually played on a bass (i didn't grow up around players, had never been to a concert at that point, barely understood what a bass guitar even did now that i think about it). seeing the 'Cliff Em All' VHS was a real eye-opener.

i guess the difference is that i'm not still trying to relive that moment 30+ years later and asking people where they were when they first heard 'Eruption', like you might ask "where were you when Kennedy was killed?" (or "...on 9/11/01?" for the younger folk).

lol, don't take this too seriously. just something weird i noticed about a lot of "guitar players".

SoulTrip

Anybody who says they weren't completely floored is full of shi_ because this same exact question was posed to every top shredder on the planet over the last 40+ years from Vivian Campbell to Steve Vai and every single one of them openly admitted it was life changing .
I was already listening to players who were more technical than EVH by the time I heard Eruption for the 1st time.

SoulTrip

I was in 8th grade.. standing on the street corner waiting for the city bus after school. Some guy was playing VH1 on a ghetto blaster. When I heard Eruption I couldn't even understand what was happening. I thought it was fake. Then I bought the album and really dug into it. Their stuff sounded like pure reckless abandon, kinda dangerous and raw. I was hooked.
Ha, the 'ol Ghetto Blaster. I remember those.

jwp333

I was in 7th or 8th grade art class where we used to have one of those turntables with the built in speaker that the teacher let us use at times while we were doing our paintings or drawings . They had the Boston record, frampton comes alive, and the record from this new band called Van Halen. We were tired of the others so we tried Van Halen. Sounded crazy. The rest is history.

Arf

The record was just out and I put on my friend's copy at his house in Oregon. Running With The Devil just didn't cut it so I took it off immediately. Fast forward a year, I'm seventeen, in the passenger side of my cousin's '68 Camaro, San Leandro Ca. when KMEL was one of the country's great rock stations (as opposed to the crap peddlers they became later) and I finally heard it. The DJ let it go on to You Really Got Me. BLEW MY MIND!

Morgan Hill

Gold Supporting Member
In the Oakland Arena. They were opening for Black Sabbath. I'd never heard of Van Halen up to that point. I wasn't knocked out with the first couple of songs, but when he started Eruption, I really took notice and they killed it for the rest of their set. I can still see it in my minds eye today. I'm glad to have stumbled into that one.

Top Bottom