Memory Man vs. Giga Delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mfgobbi, Feb 17, 2008.

1. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

I want a digital delay with tap tempo and overdub feature (I can´t stand any of tape-like delays, boutique lofi delays or any analog delay). Anyone can comment on the new EHX stereo mem man and boss giga delay? My main concern is NOT on features but on: noise level and buffered bypassed signal quality. Also, comments on the TC nova delay are welcome. Thanks.

2. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

The DD20 is cool. The modulation is a bit more digital, but you can adjust the tone knob to make it darker. It doesn't sound the same as the dmm, but it's a great pedal. The presets are nice to have, and it's capable of a huge array of sounds.

It sounds fine in line, but I use a VHT valvulator, so I get no signal loss. In my effects loop, the dd20 sounded fine too.

3. iaresee

iaresee Member

I had a DD-20. Worked great. Flawlessly really. An external expression pedal is a must. The looping functionality was so-so.

I sold it.

Got a SMMw/H.

It works okay. Sounds very nice but it doesn't play well with the f/x loop on my Koch. I've resorted to running it in front of the amp which seriously degrades the very good looping functionality it has. But it has some great sounds in it.

Now I'm thinking I need another delay in the loop. Or maybe just a dedicated looper like an RC-50XL.

4. Cthross

Cthross Member

I tried both and ended up with the Giga Delay. Just sounded better. The looper is easier to use on the DD-20, and to me the pedal sounds more natural, if that makes sense.

5. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

Although I haven't played a DMM, I would take the Nova over the DD20 anyday. I know because I have both of those and the DL4. The modulation sounds that you can add to any of the delays and the quality of the conversion set the Nova worlds ahead of the other two. You are going to have some impact on your bypassed tone with any of the units. I found the Nova the most bearable in that category as well.

D

6. mfgobbi

mfgobbi Member

The DL4 has a relay and is true bypass, so if you hear degradation in the DL4 bypass, you have a bad unit. I don't care for the modulation part, at all, just echoes. The Nova is an interesting option although I would really like the overdub feature. I don't need a full featured looper, but at least a play over chords with more than 10 seconds recording would be nice.

7. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I had one way back when and it sucked tone like a black hole... sold it on ebay....

I am currently using a Maxon AD999 and an Eventide Timefactor.

8. dylon

dylon Member

I have both. The SMM/h has no noise at all (that I can perceive...yet) whether it is on or off. The DD20 produces a very faint hum when you aren't playing . It is barely noticeable however; it took me over a year to notice it. When bypassed the DD20 does not effect my tone in any noticeable way. Overall I think the delays sound better on the DD20, but I think you'd get great tones out of either unit.

Worth noting: I'm using a humbucker equipped guitar into a fender super reverb, with no other sources of noise (i.e. pedals) in my signal path.

9. giggedy

giggedy Member

I love my dd-20. looper sucks in a live situation, but it's ok in the bedroom.