1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

memory man vs. malekko 616

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hagerty, May 24, 2011.

1. hagerty

hagerty Member

i know these threads have popped up before, but they seem to get hijacked, or turn into rants.

ive listened to the online demos of the 616, i love my memory man, but i need more room on my board, ive got a change to sell the memory man, and pick up the 616 plus extra cash for something else, or whatever.

modulation isnt huge for me, i use it sometimes, but not enough to be a selling point. i love the space the memory man creates, i use it a lot with mod verb and my volume pedal, or just huge chords/feedback tweaking.

ive seen lots of DMM still on boards, but at the same time i see malekko 616 replacing them. for those who have swapped them out, or have both, what do you think? worth the small foot print? still get the same vibe from it as the DMM? thanks

2. andjar

andjar Member

you want to take out a DMM out of your pedalboard just to make room????!!!!
    you buy a larger board to have enough room around the DMM!
    you throw away your KLON to have enough room around the DMM!
    you throw away all the other pedals to have enough room for the DMM!
    you get a biger house to have enough room for the DMM!
    you sleep on the porch to have enough room for the DMM!
    you kick your girfriend out to have enough room for the DMM!
    you fire your bass player to have enough room for the DMM!

3. venivici

venivici Member

Is there a shop in your area where you can go try out a 616 to A/B the two? I am a big fan of Malekko delays myself, but I think you just have to try things out and see if it works for you. I enjoy the lush sounds of the 616 and how it sounds with my rig. I have not used a DMM to make a valid comparison though to know if the 616 comes close to the feel of a DMM. Also, if you have a nice DMM it might be worth keeping it around just to have it and you can try to pick up a 616 when you have some spare cash.

4. hagerty

hagerty Member

Don't have a Klon, and I'll tell my wife your suggestions haha

5. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

The 616 is a lot more dark and more "analog" sounding. The DMM is a lot more crisp on the repeats.

They can sort of do similar things, but are much different flavored.

If modulation isn't important to you why not just get a Boss? Digital delay is a lot closer to what the DMM sounds like than darker analog delays.

I ended up just staying with my TimeFactor.