Memory Man w/ Hazarai - Tone sucker? Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Feb 13, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I have a t-rex replica and an analogman ar20dlxl right now. If I were to get this, it would replace the analogman. Does anyone have one of these? If so, does it affect tone at all?

2. SpectralJulian

SpectralJulian Member

Nope. 'tis TB and sounds grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat like frosted flakes.

Although it might not be your thing. It is super psychedelic. Do you like psychedelic sounds?

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

I concur,the bypass is fine.Hours of fun.

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm not into psychedelic music, but I am looking for a decent digital (analog modeler) to pair with my replica. I like the analogman and everything, but tap tempo is pretty much required for any of the new stuff that I'm doing. I would use the pedal mostly for swells (feeding my volume pedal into it) and doing dotted eighth notes (the replica has the quarter note triplets under control). Would this be a useful pedal for these applications?

5. SpectralJulian

SpectralJulian Member

Well I'm not into psychedelic music too much either, more 80's and 90's indie like polvo, sonic youth, and mission of burma.

The tap tempo on the SMMH matches to your taps 1:1, so I don't know how good it would be for dotted 8ths for you.

A lot of people buy the SMMH expecting it to be a DMM modeler and are disappointed. The SMMH doesn't model anything, but you can turn it to a low pass filter setting with a bit of blur on the repeats to get analog sounds.

6. singular

singular Member

been thinking of getting one of these myself,how do they work out for live use in a band situation?i heard a weird thing the other night, a guitarist was telling me the engineer they were recording with reckons the EH delays dont work as well in a live band situation.same engineer loves EH stuff though,i found it weird,knowing many guitarists use the memory man etc,
    anyone care to chime on this?
    the DL4 seems to be almost industry standard,at least on a lot of pedal boards iv seen.im considering that too.
    sorry if iv hijacked the thread,just would like to hear the experience of EH delay users.the SMMH seems a good package for a good price to me.

7. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Eh, the dotted 8ths are important. That would be a bummer.

8. DavidH

DavidH Member

This was my take on the SMMH,pasted from another thread:

I just got a Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai (SMMH) the other day and it's absolutely brilliant.Basically works like a flexible digital delay with a 30 second looper follwing it,so you can loop and overdub anything you hear.Then reverse it,time stretch it and overdub etc,a la 16 second delay.It has modulation delay up to 300ms,multi tap delays,a sort of pseudo reverb on some of the delays that lets you kind of smear the repeats and completely brilliant reverse fuction that captures the last few seconds of your playing and plays it in reverse when you hold down the momentary foot switch.It terms of functionality it's not dissimilar to having a delay like a DL-4 but with a looper following it.It's just the best thing for noodling around with ambient loops.

The disadvantage of it is that it could really have done with an extra footswitch to make it more useable for live applications,you can use it as a vesatile delay just fine,and as a very intuitive and brilliant looper just fine but if you're wanting both of those things in the same song in a live setting then there's a problem;in order to stop a loop,or start a new loop you have to press the bypass,then hold down the other footswitch for 0.5 secs then switch it back on,rather than just a switch to stop the loop.meaning if you have a loop going you can't stop it without losing your delay for a second or two while you tap dance.In those situations you need a seperate delay and looper.It's hadrly a criticism for me though,and for the price you can't criticise this pedal at all,it does what it does do brilliantly.

I found a cool thing you can do with a blendable bypass looper like a VFB-2,- run through the mono(L) in/out on the SMMH as normal,into the bypass looper,then connect the Right chanel in the loop of the bypass looper,then bypass looper out to amp.Then you can manipulate the loop with the delays and psuedo flanger,chorus,reverb type effects in real time and also overdub any of that on to the right channel of the SMMH,what's playing on the left and right sides is whatever you fed that input.ie the left input has your original unaffected loop (from guitar input) and the right input is seeing the output of that.Then you can switch or blend between the affected and unaffected loop and mess about with it all in real time.You can probably do it with any bypass looper actually.I'm not explaining this too well but it's simple and i had fun with it for an hour or so.Running it in mono in/out in a feedback looper would also let you manipulate the loops with the other delay settings.Mostly i've just been using it mono as normal,since there's plenty you can get up to used normally anyway.

9. dB

dB Member

Tonewise, I thought it was great, but sold it because of volume drop.