Memphis Sun

Centerfire

Is anyone using the Keeley Memphis Sun for anything other then rockabilly? It looks like it may work for my needs but almost all reviews are limited to this style of music or close to it. To be sure this pedal does other music styles well also. Any experiences?

Pedro58

Supporting Member
I'm not a rockabilly player and I use one. I have tweed amp w/o reverb, so I use it for that. The way I set it gives me slapback in the room setting, a very slight reverb with some movement in the sun mode, and a delay that I can adjust time on the fly in the echo 600 setting.

The sun mode has a double tracking effect when the setting are turned up. I don't do that with it. I keep almost every knob below 9'o clock or so and I get a bit of reverb and a light shimmer or chorus to the sound. I hate chorusing, but I love this. Probably doesn't make much sense, but it makes the amp sound bigger and brighter.

When I need slapback, I simply flip the switch down to the room setting. I often don't change the knobs at all. I don't switch mid-song, just in between and as needed.

The echo 600 setting is a tape delay sound and I can flip the switch to that when I know I want to use it for delay. I like about 350 ms with about a repeat and a half and the intensity/level of the delay fairly low.

In every setting, I still have a single knob reverb. Not flexible, but who cares for stage use. It sounds really good. I use the pedal on the sun mode about 90% of the time. It just sounds that good with that amp.

Centerfire

I'm not a rockabilly player and I use one. I have tweed amp w/o reverb, so I use it for that. The way I set it gives me slapback in the room setting, a very slight reverb with some movement in the sun mode, and a delay that I can adjust time on the fly in the echo 600 setting.

The sun mode has a double tracking effect when the setting are turned up. I don't do that with it. I keep almost every knob below 9'o clock or so and I get a bit of reverb and a light shimmer or chorus to the sound. I hate chorusing, but I love this. Probably doesn't make much sense, but it makes the amp sound bigger and brighter.

When I need slapback, I simply flip the switch down to the room setting. I often don't change the knobs at all. I don't switch mid-song, just in between and as needed.

The echo 600 setting is a tape delay sound and I can flip the switch to that when I know I want to use it for delay. I like about 350 ms with about a repeat and a half and the intensity/level of the delay fairly low.

In every setting, I still have a single knob reverb. Not flexible, but who cares for stage use. It sounds really good. I use the pedal on the sun mode about 90% of the time. It just sounds that good with that amp.
Thanks for the info! Just out of curiosity, what style music are you playing?

Pedro58

Supporting Member
Thanks for the info! Just out of curiosity, what style music are you playing?
Lots of rock, country, blues. No metal. I'm in Texas, so it's a mix of what's popular here. Looking at this weekend's set lists, we've got blues from BB & Freddie King, Allman Bros, SRV, and the like. Rock from Tom Petty, Chris Isaak, Cross Canadian Ragweed. R & B like "People Get Ready," "Stand By Me." Country from Haggard & buds... Texas classics from Pat Green, Charlie Robison, Midland.

Centerfire

Lots of rock, country, blues. No metal. I'm in Texas, so it's a mix of what's popular here. Looking at this weekend's set lists, we've got blues from BB & Freddie King, Allman Bros, SRV, and the like. Rock from Tom Petty, Chris Isaak, Cross Canadian Ragweed. R & B like "People Get Ready," "Stand By Me." Country from Haggard & buds... Texas classics from Pat Green, Charlie Robison, Midland.
That’s actually great to hear. I’m playing along the same lines of music so it’s good to know this pedal can handle it.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Silver Supporting Member
Just stumbled on this pedal on the Keeley website. I hadn't heard about it, but the marketing write up makes it sound like it was designed for me. I don't play any rockabilly, but I'm looking for better lo-fi slapback and reverb for some of my target tones. Looks like I need to check it out.