• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Men and Modeling

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
I love tube amps and still have some, but they're not practical. Changing tubes, biasing, must play loud enough to get earplugs to anyone who lives with you even if you have a bi level house. Most importantly for recording, you might not be so lucky to have a tube amp that gives good recording. The best recorded guitar tones came from very small amps, so you have to have a designated small studio tube amp, etc,etc etc, ...And if you're not blessed with studio engineering skills with expensive Preamps to run your mics thru, and you a room with good accoustics, your recording are going to sound inferior to the earliest generation modelers. Does any one really need to add more to this list for you to realise that you will end up playing and practicing alot more with a modeler at moderate volumes or through headphones and some of those sounds can be worth printing to CD. Many guys who do scratch tracks with modelers, endup keeping those tracks, because recording a tube amp might not even get better results in many situations.

The funny thing is when I play my HD300 JCM800, I don't like it at all at low volume, but when I boost the volume, it sounds great. It makes me wonder if Line 6 modeling is actually duplicating this feature. With most Marshall amps, they never sound right until you boost the volume..

.Modeling is great for most who have home studios and a few professional studios are also following suite, why work harder if you can work smarter...?
That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out answer, but, what are you wearing when you play that HD300 JCM800?

riffy

Don,
Like you, I had owned an Axe-FX Standard. I was one of the very first anywhere touting it to be honest. I did love the machine as well. I really dug it for recording purposes. I loved the sounds I could get out of it at home as well for lower volume practicing.

I used it at gigs going to front of house direct as well. I also used it with Boogie 2:90 power amps and Marshall greenback loaded 4x12 cabs.

I finally sold it. Do I regret it? No, not really, now I have a stable of killer tube amps and also picked up a Digitech RP1000 that I record with and do lower volume practicing with. I have this mounted to a pedal board with an AMT Legends S1(SLO) pedal, a Bad Monkey, Maxon OD808 and a Bad Horsie wah for travel. I can plug into this board and get just about any sound you can imagine while plugging into whatever backline is available.

When I do this though, I like many men, choose to wear a pair of comfortable boat shoes and tan cargo shorts along with simply a silk vest. That makes me most comfortable.

Gary

anslinger

Well, I made the same comparision and when I changed my cutoffs & put on jeans I could hear it was better but, when I took off my underware it was like whoa! it opened right up!
Did you put the jeans back on after you took off the underwear? Other researchers will need to keep the variables the same when they try to reproduce these results.

I like modelers for the variety (tear down and rebuild your rig without buying or selling anything!) as well as the way they allow for low volume playing. When I used an amp, I usually used an attenuator or an isolation cab anyway.

PinkPanther

OOh yeah, at first i missed the part about "MEN" and modelers and thought well how about "women and modelers". When some of the Hobbits, Elves, and Dwarves were offended, I made sure I don't bring "Women" into this because we have some women members here and they might feel left out on this exciting topic. but I know you only said that because it sounds more musical for a title to have two words that begin with the same letter M. So Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves, and women :)hide) Please don't be offended.

To answer your question, I'd have to reply with a question of my own. What does a pink panther wear?

That is a lucid, intelligent, well thought-out answer, but, what are you wearing when you play that HD300 JCM800?

PinkPanther

I had a switch on one of my marshalls that reduced wattage to 25 from 50 and when I did that the amp didn't breathe the same, but it was a compromise. That's how I look at modelers, they are a compromise and if you're inspired and playing good the differences aren't show stoppers, so why not compromise a little to gain flexibility and a list of advantages....

If some are incapable of getting a decent enjoyable sound out of a modeler, I think they would need to be a little more open minded and try to first have a little fun with modelers and see where they go from there...The prices aren't certainly prohibitive considering the decent free VSt plugins outthere, it doesn't have to be so elaborate to get the job done everytime....quickies are good too:D

.... When I used an amp, I usually used an attenuator or an isolation cab anyway.

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
I like boxes that make noise with my guitar. I like boxes with tubes in them, I like my magic black box that can beat up your Mom's black box. :hide2 :D

I like it when the girls wear stiletto heels when I play my guitar into my box. When they dance, everyone wins. And they don't ever ask me if my magic box has tubes.

What I wear when I play the guitar into my magic box bears no relevance. The girls with the heels all want the singer any way. And I don't sing.

But I have a magic box of fun. And that makes me happy.

;) :D

jhvox

When I do this though, I like many men, choose to wear a pair of comfortable boat shoes and tan cargo shorts along with simply a silk vest. That makes me most comfortable.

Gary
I think you might be missing a comma. Did you mean "I like many men" or "I, like many men,...?"

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

riffy

I think you might be missing a comma. Did you mean "I like many men" or "I, like many men,...?"

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!! I, like many men... Although, everyone loves you when you're bi.

KingCrimson

I suggest you stick with tube amps if you have already made up your mind that modelers can never provide realistic amp tones.
I don't think the Don means 'realistic' just not realistic 'tube amp' tones. You can't synthesize a tube amp with a digital modeler to the scale of DNA.

KingCrimson

When I do this though, I like many men, choose to wear a pair of comfortable boat shoes and tan cargo shorts along with simply a silk vest.

Gary
Hey Gary if you really want to be in-the-know, you must wear new B/W Converse Chuck Taylor All Star shoes.

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
I like boxes that make noise with my guitar. I like boxes with tubes in them, I like my magic black box that can beat up your Mom's black box. :hide2 :D

I like it when the girls wear stiletto heels when I play my guitar into my box. When they dance, everyone wins. And they don't ever ask me if my magic box has tubes.

What I wear when I play the guitar into my magic box bears no relevance. The girls with the heels all want the singer any way. And I don't sing.

But I have a magic box of fun. And that makes me happy.

;) :D
I want you in my wolfpack

Milo

Don,
Like you, I had owned an Axe-FX Standard. I was one of the very first anywhere touting it to be honest. I did love the machine as well. I really dug it for recording purposes. I loved the sounds I could get out of it at home as well for lower volume practicing.

I used it at gigs going to front of house direct as well. I also used it with Boogie 2:90 power amps and Marshall greenback loaded 4x12 cabs.

I finally sold it. Do I regret it? No, not really, now I have a stable of killer tube amps and also picked up a Digitech RP1000 that I record with and do lower volume practicing with. I have this mounted to a pedal board with an AMT Legends S1(SLO) pedal, a Bad Monkey, Maxon OD808 and a Bad Horsie wah for travel. I can plug into this board and get just about any sound you can imagine while plugging into whatever backline is available.

Gary
Best of both worlds - sweet set up. I am very keen on trying the Legend series of preamps/pedals from AMT. On topic: i love my tubes but my old Pod 2.0 (and various other old digital gear)still has its place. I will upgrade though. Money,space and versatility is a factor when chosing digital gear. I dont record much but when i do - i prefer simple and cheap. I hope this will change in the future. Right now i am planning a new rig (or 2) - one all tube and analog,and a new modeller. Gear is fun.

Last edited:

donbarzini

Silver Supporting Member
Best of both worlds - sweet set up. I am very keen on trying the Legend series of preamps/pedals from AMT. On topic: i love my tubes but my old Pod 2.0 (and various other old digital gear)still has its place. I will upgrade though.
You know, I never tried the old Pod 2.0, I had an XT with a Harmonic Converger/Atomic Amp set-up for a long time but many men swear on that old 2.0. I had the new HD Bean for a day, that's all I could take of it.

xdisciplex

Sometimes don when your in the mood and your wearing your cut off jeans and its hot and sweaty you gotta think LONG and HARD do i want a real amp for my tonez ? or do i wanna SWALLOW my pride and play a line6 or a axefx, i personally have not been Aroused by a modeller yet, I want my tubez.