Men of a Certain Age, help me understand a finish option?

germs

I'm beginning to see 70's "F" models pop up in my area as musicians of a Certain Age are retiring or getting out or what have you.

The most common thread shared between them is the impossibly thick doo-doo brown finish.

What's up with that?

Re-fin Antigua? Aged Butterscotch/Natural? Fad of the times?

In any event, it's terrible by modern standards. I can't see anyone seriously considering the asking price based on year alone - the looks of the instrument is awful.

Just...why ya'll did that?

Last edited:

AA864

Can you provide a pic of the impossibly thick doo-doo brown finish?

Are you talking about a walnut/chocolate brown type of finish on a Tele or Strat?

if so blame CBS Musical Instruments marketing department of the 70s, not old men.

BTW, y'all (you all) is the correct spelling, not ya'll (ya-ll), just saying...

Last edited:

Tommy Biggs

Gold Supporting Member
I'll just say it, I love that color!
a friend had a 3 bolt Strat in that color, it was an awesome guitar. It just had IT.
What is that psychological phenomenon- the halo effect?
I’ll always have a soft spot for that color. I think of the Tele Custom in that color too.

Last edited:

Guitarworks

That was well before my coming of age, OP. But I recall lots of stuff from my 70s pre-guitar childhood being brown, avocado green or harvest gold. The Telecaster Deluxe came in Walnut back then, which was a nutty brown color. Guilds came with acorns stamped into the wood. It was a time when earth tones were popular.

Trending Topics