Men of a Certain Age, help me understand a finish option?

SAVEStheDAY

I'm actually ok with brown paint on some guitars, but I can't stand brown stain. In fact, I don't like stained guitars in general. They always look like repurposed cutting boards or cabinet doors to me.

My first decent Strat was a mid 70s Mocha Brown hard-tail, with black guard and creme pickup covers and knobs. The brown finish was worn through on the arm bevel, and it actually looked pretty cool. Had the maple fret-board with the thick clear coat. I sanded the finish off the back of the neck, and it played really well. It was heavy though. But overall, not a bad guitar. It was my transition guitar from Les Paul to Strat. I still kinda like Mocha Brown.

Riverdrifter

I’m not sure what the deal was with Fender, but I know Gibson made a lot of “Walnut” stained ES-335s and SGs in the late ‘60’s and ‘70’s. Maybe it was the influence of George Harrison’s brown Gretsch Country Gentleman or something else, but dark brown was very popular during those years.
I was thinking along similar lines, but wondering if his rosewood tele was the influence.

germs

for contrast, here's a stained brown (same seller) certified "bad*ss motherf*cker" guitar that i'm definitely interested in:

Trending Topics