• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Men vs. Women--why are our musical tastes so different?

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
I've tried to figure this out for the longest time, but would like to hear opinions on why men and women have such disparate musical tastes, especially when it comes to rock and roll.

There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but for the most part I find that women don't care for music that is technically challenging, i.e. Rush, Zappa, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Yes, Jeff Beck, etc. and in general could care less about guitar playing.

Heavy metal is out and it seems most anything that leans toward the heavy side turns women away.

One surprise was the number of smokin' hot ladies that were at the Black Crowes show here in Dallas a few weeks ago. I would have never expected that.

So, go ahead and share you opinion. Be a Pink Freud, if you will.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
My wife calls the heavier side of metal 'murder' music, and ya gotta admit it ain't purdy!

Women's taste in pop run towards catchy and danceable.
If it's performed by a hot dude (Bon Jovi, say) that's good, if it carries a sense of fashion and performance, even better.
Why? Is that the question? I dunno.

Dumo

Silver Supporting Member
My 5-year old son, who is huge and and super testosteroned out by the way, said to me once after listening to some metal come on the car stereo, "Hey Dad, I like this! This is man music.", as he sat in the back shaking his fist and bouncing up and down. It's just too aggro for most women. Plain and simple. Women want melody and rhythm for the most part. It's not rocket science. It's caveman stuff even a 5 year-old understands.

smallbutmighty

I do my own stunts.
Silver Supporting Member
Because guys are obsessed with specs, stats, and the mechanics of how things work.

Girls care more about how a things feels.

I've been in the diamond/ jewelry business for over 20 years. Watching how men shop for a diamond versus how women do really says it all.

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
cuz we're different.
OK, guess I can end the thread now. Yes, we are different.

Seriously, what I'm getting at is the "why". I know what they like--danceable tunes, melody and rhythm--I get that. But I was trying to get a little deeper introspective. I guess the comment about women "feeling" whereas men are more technical pretty much sums it up in a general way. Luckily, my wife is a little different. She enjoys Beck, Satriani and EJ, but she doesn't care much for "hippie" music like the Black Crowes or My Morning Jacket. It's a happy medium.

dohootowl

Silver Supporting Member
Who knew, I'm a WOMAN who loves Frank Zappa, Mercyful Fate, and Miles Davis equally. And I think Taylor Swift should be set on fire... :Devil
I don't get the OP....
OP, here. You're in the minority. Recently viewing the DVD of Zappa Plays Zappa, I could spot maybe five women in the entire audience. Sure made me wonder why. Tried turning my daughter onto it and she just sat there and had zero emotion about it, and she plays cello in the orchestra. I kind of thought that she would dig it, but no.

Like I said, there are exceptions. What do you not get about me? Should I delete this thread now? I'm starting to feel everyone's shoulders shrug and see eyes rolling.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
OP, here. You're in the minority. Recently viewing the DVD of Zappa Plays Zappa, I could spot maybe five women in the entire audience. Sure made me wonder why. Tried turning my daughter onto it and she just sat there and had zero emotion about it, and she plays cello in the orchestra. I kind of thought that she would dig it, but no.

Like I said, there are exceptions. What do you not get about me? Should I delete this thread now? I'm starting to feel everyone's shoulders shrug and see eyes rolling.
Maybe in that DVD, but I've seen ZPZ live 5 times and there were plenty of woman in the audience. Especially in the first few rows. Just a note...Chicks dig Dweezil... : )

I know a good amount of women who like Zappa's music. Odd for you guys to grasp this concept, but chicks dig Frank too! ;)

I wasn't trying to' get' YOU(OP) but meant original post. Sorry for the confusion there. I'm not rolling my eyes. Just trying to say there are women who dig this stuff. Trust me, I know them. Plus, I am one who does 'get it.' I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Madsen

OK, guess I can end the thread now. Yes, we are different.
we're talking about generalizations here so i figured i'd start with the obvious one. i went to a Bodyworlds plastination exhibit recently & they had veins only head to toe man & woman side by side. the man had more & larger blood vessels upper body, the woman more small & dense in the lower half. i think we respond different on a physical way in part because we're physically different & the way blood pulses thru our veins is different. i'm sure there's a million other factors for the infinite permutations of crowd ratios at various shows but that's the first great divide for me.

speaking of differences, Dave Chappelle did a great bit about race & music reaction.
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/0cc0bac3ce/chappelle-show-dancing-for-different-cultures

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
5%
I think that was the number of female GP mag subscribers a few years back.
Considering the content level of that magazine that last few years I'm suprised they had that. :rotflmao I dropped my subscription when some cat from some band that's dead to the world now was quoted saying, 'practicing is for retards.'

chervokas

I've noticed that most people don't like technical guitar music.
Exactly, only a subsection of guitar geeks care about the likes of Steve Vai or Joe Satriani at all (I know I don't). This one of the most weirdly sexist threads I've seen on here in a while--not in the notion of discussing whether or not there are gender differences in taste, that's a legit and interesting question, but in the implication that there's something about "technical" music (ie, it's complex, it's skilled, etc) that makes is beyond the ken of those emotional women.

Sure, there are some genres of pop art that clearly have audiences that are more largely male and some that are more largely female--a demographic comparison of the audiences for the most aggressive metal vs. dance pop would probably show they skew heavily to one gender or the other, but I doubt anything about the music's "techincal" qualities have anything to do with it and outside of a couple of extreme genres I doubt the skew is nearly that dramatic. I mean there are plenty of female violinists who could play circles around the likes of Joe Satriani playing Schoenberg or some other such music that is far more "technical" than any rock.

I know that in my household--where I live as the only male with a wife, a daughter and a female cat...there's a wide range of music we all like. We don't share every taste (only my daughter can take auto-tune heavy r&b), but not a single one of us has narrow tastes either. My wife likes Zappa--saw him a bunch of times in the 1970s, she likes Yes a lot more than I do (I can't take most prog rock of any sort)--she'll sing along with it in the car, I'll change the station. Both my wife and daughter love opera. My wife adores guitar playing. She's practically a Richard Thompson groupie. Everyone in the house likes Zep and loves Sinatra. And I'm an admirer of Taylor Swift (she's a good writer) as well as, say Albert Ayler, whose music will send there rest of my family fleeing for their lives.

More than anything musical taste (and talent) is pretty much an individual matter not all that related to gender.

Last edited:

chervokas

BTW, here's a pretty interesting video that I found when I was poking around YouTube regarding the Zappa thread of an apparently female musician taking a very impressive pass at one of Zappa's thornier pieces...so much for being daunted by technical music

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
BTW, here's a pretty interesting video that I found when I was poking around YouTube regarding the Zappa thread of an apparently female musician taking a very impressive pass at one of Zappa's thornier pieces...so much for being daunted by technical music

Holy $hi%!!! That's amazing!

There are exceptions to the rule, of course, but for the most part I find that women don't care for music that is technically challenging, i.e. Rush, Zappa, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Yes, Jeff Beck, etc. and in general could care less about guitar playing.
Correction: For the most part, no one cares about these bands/guys except *some* musicians (mostly guitarists, given the dominant instrument in the examples above), period. I am a guy who is not interested in technicalities, I don't listen to a single act from those listed on here.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom