Menatone at NAMM

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MusicGearGuys, Jan 31, 2006.

1. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

I was able to try out the new Menatone pedals and meet the man himself at the NAMM show.

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

Gregory

2. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I spent a lot of time chatting with Brian at the show and really came to appreciate his expertise when it comes to pedals and amps. I'll be picking up a Blue Collar soon to go with my Pleasure Trem 5000.

Bryan

3. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Which new pedals were there?

4. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah the latest Blue Collar is most excellent, it sounds better than I remember the larger box ones sounding.....

5. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

He had the Red Snapper, Blue Collar, Foxy Brown, Pleasure Trem, and his compressor. All of them were the new smaller box sizes. He said that his other pedals would be put in the new boxes soon.

The battery compartment design is the slickest I've seen. No screwdriver or thumb-screws necessary.

Bryan

6. avenerjimmie

avenerjimmie Member

Will the Top Boost be a single or double stomp? I wonder if it would all fit in one of those, and beconvenient with two stomps...

7. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

That is correct Don and I can confirm this....I bought the new one about three weeks ago and I had a chance to try the old one at the same time. The new sounds like MUCH better!!! The old one sounded like there were two blankets over the amp in comparison. I have three gigs under my belt with the new one and it SMOKES!! I use it for my higher gain OD applications. Sounds great with all of my guitars (humbuckers & single coils). :AOK

8. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

Did Brian say exactly why the new pedals are better? To me the battery door doesn't matter because I never use batteries. Plus, if you have your pedals attached to a board, and close together, you'll never get the door open anyway.

Also, I understand that all of his pedals are changing over to circuit boards. Are any other circuit changes happening?

Did Brian say when the new pedals will be shipping?

Hamilton

9. Troy T. Blues

Troy T. Blues Comstock Station

I think the biggest change resides in the tone knob part of the circuit. It was way more range than the previous models. The previous models are much like a Tubescreamers tone knob where where the biggest frequency difference is within the first and last third turn of the knob. There may be another tweak, but I am not positive. All the new ones will be circuit board, but I can say first hand that it is not for the worse, it's for the better....at least with the BC comparisons that I made. The new one doesn't sound a little better, but MUCH better.

10. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Brian told me that he can have faster and more production at a lower price. I also agree that these sounded even better too.
    The Fish Factory will be discontinued.
    BTW, the Foxy Brown was stellar. It sounded fantastic with Ben's Fargen amps and Jim's Soloway guitars. Creamy blues tone IMO.

Gregory

11. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Brian Mena and Bjorn Juhl are my fave pedal builders. Mike Fuller too.

I really dig Brian. I have an old Blue Collar and even though I'm not really a distortion pedal guy, I'll never give that pedal up.

I sounds good with some amps, and great with others.

It's the first stomp box I ever had where I heard it and thought:

"Wow, this thing sounds great!"

Brian continues to expand his line and innovate, and he has just the right amount (small) of irreverence, attitude, and arrogance to go with his talent. I'm pretty sure he actually designs some of his own chips too. He's serious about it, and he loves it too.

Hey, ya gotta have some of that if ya wanna play with the "Big Dogs"

My hat's off to him!

Dana

12. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I never tried one of the old ones, but I picked up a Blue Collar about 2 weeks ago, and it's totally killer. I tried it against an OCD, and a Hot Cake, through a Dr. Z Prescription, and for what I was looking for it smoked the others. I love the pres knob, it really accentuates your pick attack.