1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Menatone Dirty Blonde vs Catalinbread Formula #5 vs Greer Brown Bomber

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MBT74, May 21, 2011.

1. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Anyone tried all of these? Which did you like better and why?

How do they compare? Differences/similarities?

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  2. MBT74

MBT74 Member

3. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

I've only tried the Dirty Blonde and Formula 5. Pretty different from one another - the Dirty Blonde has more give/squish and tonal versatility, but the Formula 5 does its thing very well, IMO. Also, the Dirty Blonde has more gain on tap. I never tried running the F5 at 18v, wish I had.

4. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Greer, but I have played the Menatone a few times in the store, and spent quite a bit of time with the FN5 (it's on my list to buy too).

I like the Menatone a lot. It's dynamic and has a nice voicing like most of his pedals. I did not compare it side by side with anything but as I remember it it's a bit brighter and toppier than the Catalinbread--maybe more like a tweed Bassman than a Deluxe. But that's from memory so I can't say for sure.

I really like the FN5. For that type of sound I think it's amazing and works surprisingly well with a variety of amps. It's also very dynamic in identifiably tweedy ways.

I did a vid comparing pedal to tweed deluxe. I could have done a better job with mic placement to make the comparison more accurate but it will give you an idea.

n

5. Orbis_Ignis

Orbis_Ignis Member

I haven't played the others but I am enjoying the Formula No.5. It's Tweed goodness in a box

6. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I have and love both. F5 is a tweed deluxe. DB is a blonde bassman. Both are next to a wampler 65 OD. Fender alley.
    DB is more open, chimey, and does low gain better when needed. F5 is a little anger box. Great stuff.

7. MBT74

MBT74 Member

I have the Black 65 and the F#5. You're not helping my GAS at all. :D

8. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

DB sits between. Not as scooped at 65OD, a little looser in the mids, more blonde/brown raggedy. But very versatile, does clean and light OD well, great with filtertrons, and then really honks and howls when you crank it.
    Sorry. :eeks

9. big mike

big mike House Plexi Staff Member

Greer Brown Bomber is more of a brown concert on the edge of destruction tone. That's the intent, and how I hear it.

The Ghetto Stomp would be closer to a tweed sound, but it is more valco/supro sounding to me. Can get fairly tweedy though.

On the hunt for a formula 5 to play with myself at some point. Love my SFT.
    The Catalinbread stuff seems to get along really well with my greer pedals on the board.

10. MBT74

MBT74 Member

Does the Brown Bomber do cleaner Fender Concert tones too or is it pretty much a fully driven amp tone?

11. big mike

big mike House Plexi Staff Member

It's pretty much always going to have some hair on it.

12. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Played a friend's Formula 5 with a 335 and a Hahn tele into a '57 Tweed Twin RI tonight, and absolutely loved it. Low volume on the Tweed Twin, maybe between 2 and 3 on the normal channel, but sounded absolutely tremendous, especially with the 335 ('57 Classics). Truly a magnificent tone. I will be scoring a Formula 5 stat, along with a Tweed Twin when I can :eeks It was that good, all gain levels on the Formula 5 sounded superb.