• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Menatone experts needed

12strings

I am interested in a top boost in a can pedal. However, I am totally confused by all the different styles offered over the years. Which ones do you prefer and why?
Thanks in advance!

ROKY

I've only owned the original 4-knob version.. sold it years back after getting a nice
vox-style amp(a TopHat). Great-sounding pedal, and I've kinda missed it ever
since, for situations where I wasn't using the tophat, but wanted that kinda tone.

I'm currently waiting for an 8-knob TBIAC to arrive.. should be here early next week.
That version is pretty popular so I'm looking forward to checking it out .

I own the 8-knob, and it's a great pedal. TGP people who have A/Bed both have reported the current 4-knob version sounds very similar. But it lacks the "cut", "sag" and "mid" controls. I don't care for the cut, have it fully CCW all the time (and thats the fixed default for the 4-knob, too, from what I've read). But the "sag" and "mid" controls really add flexibility.

Also, the 8-knob TBIAC has the separate boost footswitch, boost sounds really good (though I wish you could tweak it from full range to mid and treble boost).

Still, if you want something small, you can't go wrong with the current 4-knob version either.

carbz

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned the original 4 knob and the later 8 knob. The 4 knob is fine for cleaner tones but hard to dial in a higher gain sound. The 8 knobber will do much better high gain tones with a less finicky and more flexible eq. The rare bird is the 05 7 knobber. Those seem to be almost non existent. Unless you really want the additional boost which is only on the 7 and 8 knob versions your probably best off getting a new 4 knob version. I heard they sound fantastic.

slopeshoulder

early 4 and 5 knob versions were a bit hard to dial in.
the 8 knob is great.
the newer 4 knob sounds the same, and mid and sag are fixed and like the ac-30 anyway.

b_rad

From my experience with Menatone I tend to prefer the versions with less knobs.

vanguard

From my experience with Menatone I tend to prefer the versions with less knobs.
same. had a 5 knob, then an 8-knob, now i'm settled with the current 4-knob hand-wired; it's tiny, PTP, has all the tone of the 8-knob but doesn't tempt you to endlessly tinker rather than play.

12strings

Thanks for all of your responses. Have any of you guys used it with an actual Vox AC30? If so, does it sound good through both the top boost and normal channels?
Finally, has anyone compared it to the BJFE EGDM?

12strings

Cool thanks. Just pulled the trigger on a brand new 4 knob. I hope it sounds awesome with my AC50 as well! Thanks for everyone's help!

zoooombiex

Zombie thread, but just thought I'd pitch in for posterity.

I got a 6-knob TBIAC when it came out and later picked up an 8-knob TBIAC. The 6-knob was by far my favorite of the two - it sounded and reacted like an amp. The other was thinner and much more of an effect. In fact, many years later the 6-knob is the only Menatone pedal I still own.

Also, FWIW, at one point I had pretty much all of the 6-knob line and the 8-knob line and in every case I preferred the 6-knob version. Not sure if it was the handwiring, circuit changes, or what. Menatone seems to completely re-do his line every other year or so, and after my experience I never tried anything after the 8-knob line...

sstweed

Gold Supporting Member
I like the small box versions. Never has a bad one. I loved the old 5 knob versions two. The circuits have changed since then from what I understand. Starting around the 8-knob version he was trying to model the entire amp and not just the pre-amps as in the earlier versions. What ever amp you use might have agreed more with the earlier circuits. I never met a Menatone I didn't like. I've owned many. I've recently changed my amp a little a wish I still had them all.

Trending Topics