Menatone fans, help me out!...

Cap'nMayhem

People keep looking for descriptions (and clips) of all the newest versions of the Menatone line. I want to start this thread to get the word (and sound) out. If you own any Menatone pedals but especially new ones then chime in and give your descriptions (sound clips if you've got 'em). Preface however you feel you need to i.e. "I know I suck, but here", or "I had lost my fingers earlier that week, but here", you get the idea.

I'll go first, All these clips were recorded using a Marantz PMD620 field recorder.

None More Black (guitar only) recorded in my garage at bedroom level (you can hear the strings acoustically) the tracks are labelled NMB 1 -6

Shut Up And Drive (band) a new song the band is working on and my first attempt at singing it too. Recorded in a garage at loud practice volume. No care to recorder placement so it's not the clearest representation. The track is called Wish Come True

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1002250&content=music

Last edited:

oxtone

I tried both those pedals today, using a PRS McCarty though a
Carr Rambler.

I found the None More Black to have a TON of gain, and the "Suck" knob
was good for scooping the mids. I good pedal for high-gain tones.

I thought the Shut Up and Drive had more of a Marshall "Plexi" flavor, and a stronger push in the mids. It also cleans up better than the NMB.

Your NMB mp3's are very representative of it's tone. But the SUAD mp3
is hard to distinquish the pedal. Maybe you could do a new mp3 with that pedal without the band?

People keep looking for descriptions (and clips) of all the newest versions of the Menatone line. I want to start this thread to get the word (and sound) out. If you own any Menatone pedals but especially new ones then chime in and give your descriptions (sound clips if you've got 'em). Preface however you feel you need to i.e. "I know I suck, but here", or "I had lost my fingers earlier that week, but here", you get the idea.

Brian Mena seriously needs to put you on the payroll. I have never seen such devotion and so many threads by one guy for a pedal manufacturer...Kudos

Cap'nMayhem

Mena seriously needs to put you on the payroll. I have never seen such devotion and so many threads by one guy for a pedal manufacturer...Kudos
LOL That's an excellent idea. I'll be sure to mention that to him next time we talk. I'm currently out of work so that could help although he'd get most of it back for more pedals I'm sure.

The point of this thread is to get other fans like me to keep the chatter going. There's just not enough buzz around here on TGP about Menatone. He makes killer pedals. People usually figure that out once they play 'em but getting them to try 'em is tougher than I think it should be.

Cap'nMayhem

I love by TBIAC!!! What can you tell me about the Shut Up and Drive that I have heard you mention many times
Probably not much, as I believe I've said a boatload. It's the pedal I push the most 'cause it's so new and many people don't know it yet and because of it's massive versatility and lower price point. It doesn't nail any certain amp tone but captures aspects of several and blends them flawlessly with your amp. As with all Menatones your guitar rings through true.

Brian came to a gig of one of my bands once 'cause it was down the street from his place and was surprised to find that everytime he heard a different tone and would look at my board I was still using the SUAD just set differently. He made a joke that he should make a programmable SUAD, I'm still hoping for that one. Shortly after that gig I got a second SUAD to alleviate some knob tweaking with my foot, but alas, they stack so well together that now I still tweak knobs with my foot but have twice the knobs to tweak!

uberdave

Silver Supporting Member
Damn straight dig my Foxey Brown, next up SUAD. Thanks again
Cap'nMayhem. Hopefully I won't have to spend 2 much $ on books
4 school.

Cap'nMayhem

Ok dammit, I got a bit of time today to add some Shut Up And Drive sound samples but I haven't finished all of the descriptions yet. So the MP3 titles have the settings in the name. All settings are using the o'clock system i.e. G3 T12 R9 = gain @ 3 o'clock / Tone @ noon / Resonance @ 9 o'clock hope this gives an idea of some of the tones you can dial in with the SUAD.
Yes, I know the playing is less than stellar but I didn't have much time and I lost my fingers earlier this week :rimshot
If anyone has any questions, post 'em and I'll hit ya back later. Right now I gotta go.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=1002250&content=music

uberdave

Silver Supporting Member
Finally on the way to play new SUAD. Look forward tryin' with my amps.
Was able to trade a HBE pedal and cash for new SUAD, thanks Supersound.

jhills

Cap'n, I have a 5 knob King of the Brits and a Ms. Foxy Brown. I love 'em both. I've been running my dirt boxes like this:

Foxy > Keeley Mod + TS9 > KOTB

now I'm running:

TS9 > Foxy > KOTB

What a huge difference! I can still get that crunchy rock-n-roll from the Foxy and smooth her out and send her over the top by kicking on the TS9. I can't believe I hadn't ever run this way. Always learning though.

Have you tried the KOTB? If so, whats the sonic difference between it and the SUAD?

which Foxy do you have? The new one looks really nice-- no more "sag" knob, but a 3-position bass cut switch. Looks interesting!

Cap'nMayhem

Have you tried the KOTB? If so, whats the sonic difference between it and the SUAD?
I said this in another post. I copied it for you.

Unfortunately, there aren't any sound samples up for the new KOTB yet. It's voiced the same as the old one but with a simpler design and the push knob which adds versatility to it. I own the old 6 knob KOTB not the new 4 knob version but I have played it. The new one has the same mid dip a Marshall amp has until you get the push (overactive mid) knob up above noon then it gets closer to flattening out the mids at full turn. The presence acts much like the presence on the amp but gets a bit darker in the off position. It has the gain of a slightly boosted plexi at full tilt. It costs $250 new.

The SUAD is a JFET circuit like the KOTB and other amp based Menatones but not based on a particular amp. It has flat mids, a very usable tone control that goes from pretty dark to plenty bright. The resonance knob affects the bass extension. If memory serves, by setting it at a bit over 9 o'clock has a bass roll off similar to a Vox, 11 to 1 o'clock is similar to a Marshall, and 2 o'clock or so is kinda Fender like. On lower gain settings it retains just a bit more sparkle than higher settings. It costs $180 new.

The KOTB and SUAD both have quite a bit of gain on tap but I believe the SUAD has a bit more than the KOTB.

Cap'nMayhem

which Foxy do you have? The new one looks really nice-- no more "sag" knob, but a 3-position bass cut switch. Looks interesting!
Mine's the one with the Sag knob, in fact the Sag is my favorite part about that pedal but I played the new one and I think the Bass switch is even better.

NewarkWilder

thanks for the clips!! I'll have a NMB on Monday and can't wait. I'd been debating it vs the Suhr Riot since my Triple Wreck didn't work out like I'd hoped for serious high gain... Seems like this is going to be a hell of a sleeper pedal. I guess all Menatones are tho? A damn shame...

I also took the plunge on a new Red Snapper--generally use a Honey Bee for "standard" OD tones, love the Bee, but of course it colors your tone and changes the entire character of the amp... which is a BF Fender. I know most guys are like "I use a Timmy w/ my BF Fender and its fine" but it just never did for me what it seems to do for most. I'd pretty much given up on "transparent" ODs. I think the Snapper is just what I've been looking for though.

Now I just have to keep myself from grabbing a Wreck't, too... :drool

Cap'nMayhem

thanks for the clips!! I'll have a NMB on Monday and can't wait. I'd been debating it vs the Suhr Riot since my Triple Wreck didn't work out like I'd hoped for serious high gain... Seems like this is going to be a hell of a sleeper pedal. I guess all Menatones are tho? A damn shame...

I also took the plunge on a new Red Snapper--generally use a Honey Bee for "standard" OD tones, love the Bee, but of course it colors your tone and changes the entire character of the amp... which is a BF Fender. I know most guys are like "I use a Timmy w/ my BF Fender and its fine" but it just never did for me what it seems to do for most. I'd pretty much given up on "transparent" ODs. I think the Snapper is just what I've been looking for though.

Now I just have to keep myself from grabbing a Wreck't, too... :drool
You're welcome. Hope you enjoy your new Menatones as much as I love mine (some may think that's impossible). Good luck not picking up the Wreck't:)sarcasm).

Chuck Snider

Silver Supporting Member
Damn!,
I've gone for about a year without buying a pedal till this weekend. Ordered a Menatone Wreck't . Just had to check it out after a buddy told me about his. He's too far away to where I could try his out so I saw that Toyz got 6 more in.... I folded!
Anyone here using the Wreck"t? .. Hows it going?

Trending Topics