...menatone kar krash 08 switch problems...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deek, Oct 20, 2008.

1. deek

deek Member

Just had a quick question to all you Kar Krash 2008 v2 users or even other new Menatone users. Anyway, I've been loving the sounds I've been getting out of this thing and think it's tweekability is awesome at crafting that particular drive sound. So, she's definitely a keeper! However, lately, only after a month of use, I've noticed that both foot switches are not engaging properly. I'd turn on the bypass and sometimes the drive would come on, other times it would cut out completely, volume drops, or some fizz drive sound comes through. I also noticed that on the fast/grad switch is doing the same thing where the sound will either drop out or just not fully engage and I'll get this strange fizzy drive sound. Anyway, I have a buddy of mine who also has a KK and having the same issues. I believe he is now on his third KK due to switches. Has anyone else had this issue? It's a bit disappointing when you spend that kind of money and have reliability issues with boutique products. Also, I've got a pretty big gig coming up this Thurs and my go to drive is unpredictable - sketchy. I've never had any of my mass produced pedals crap out like this. I rarely have any pedal issues and the one other time I had a similar issue like this was with another boutique pedal - what gives man! Any input would be great!!!

2. soli528

soli528 Silver Supporting Member

Have you contacted Brian? I'm sure he'd be quick to help you out...

3. deek

deek Member

thanks - i'll give Brian a shout. maybe it's just bad luck for the two of us... something to do with the west coast canadian air perhaps? anyone else have any issues like ours?

4. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

He "switched" to relays and would probably love to know if there are problems.
    BTW, I had "switch" problems with another pedal and it turned out to be a cable problem FWIW.
    Lastly, I find that a Kar Krash and a Klon (before KK, stacked) are giving me the best sound I have ever had. Four incredible sounds. All I need.

5. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Hi everyone:
    I bought one of the first run of the KK big box models and the switching was faulty straight out of the box - strange but if I put a fresh battery in it works fine BUT 10 minutes later - unreliable switching
    Let me know how you go - I'm in Australia - I contacted Menatone by email 3 months agoand got no response - I'd like it fixed because it was so expensive
    Cheers.

6. menatone

menatone Member

my number and email is on my website i will be more than happy to fix
    any pedals that have a problem. if you tried emailing me and i did not
    reply it was not intentional. sometimes email get deleted by spam filters
    if this happened i am truly sorry.

brian
    menatone

7. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

Thanks Brian;
    I'll give you a call - Keep up the good work with the pedals - they are truly awesome!!!
    :):):):):)

8. doralin

doralin Member

australian KK user here.

So far no problems and I do quite alot of switching on the KK.

Does anyone know if it's a problem in the current production line of KK's?

9. pitner

pitner Member

I have three Menatone pedals on my board. All new style and all are flawless. I have a Red Snapper, A VOS, and a Blue Collar. Menatone pedals are well made and IMHO great sounding units. Try the VOS for a smooth flowing overdrive.

10. Babylon Falls

Babylon Falls Member

I had the same problem with mine...I contacted Brian and he fixed it...fantastic pedal and even better customer service!!!!

11. Luca1979

Luca1979 Supporting Member

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  12. saurudi

saurudi Member

Hi Luca,

same problem here, already pm´d brian but no answer so far:mad:

I don´t know how often brian shows up here but i bought this pedal brand new off realguitars in germany, after spending that much of money it´s not really great for customer service.

13. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

He stated that emails sometimes get caught in his spam filter You might want to try his phone number on the www.menatone.com website.

14. danel59

danel59 Member

As stated give Brian a call. As soon as I told him what mine was doing (losing gain in the boost channel intermitantly) he gave me the fix over the phone and I was able to do it myself. Has worked perfectly since then.

Dan

15. saurudi

saurudi Member

hello,

if I would live in the states I would immediatly contact Brian, that's for sure. But since I'm located in Europe I guess it would take a lot of money to call him.

16. danel59

danel59 Member

I live in Canada so it was long distance for me as well, however yes it would be a long distance call and I guess more expensive for you but the thing to look at is how much have you got invested in the pedal already? If you sell it you would have some difficulty doing so if the unit isn't working properly and if all it takes is a possible five minute phone phone call I think it would be worth it. To be honest when I called I had to leave voice mail for Brian and he returned my call very soon after (the same day) and he knew immediately what was wrong and he told me how to fix it over the phone. So I didn't have to send it back and it has worked like a charm since then. Plus it is always nice to speak to the person that built your pedal. He is a great guy!

Dan

17. saurudi

saurudi Member

dan,

see, i bought this pedal brand new and i already talked to the sells person cause i knew people had some problem with theirs.
    so if you ask me everyone who´s buying new gear should be at least aware that everything works the way it used to be.
    the sales person said when he got the pedal everything was working properly.

when it comes to technical skills i´m an absolute greenhorn, i wouldn´t know how to fix it by myself.

18. saurudi

saurudi Member

hi luca,

did you get a message from mr. menatone regarding your kar krash ?

19. Luca1979

Luca1979 Supporting Member

Yes, he told me to ship the pedal to him for a fix.
    In the end, I'll do that.

20. presence

presence Member

Brian, can you tell us what the benefits are of the new true-bypass relay switching system are as opposed to the old true-bypass non-relay system? Thanks...