Menatone Kar Krash v.3 players,

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cap'nMayhem, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

Which position (Krash/Wrecked) do you play in most often? Why? What do you like/dislike about each?

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

3. Nathan

Nathan Member

Crash -Wreck is too bright/thin for me. I also use Grad more than Fast too. I'm not impressed with the v.4 Wrecked pedal. I can't see how it would be as flexible with only 4 knobs but the small size would be good for some. The presence, mid, and cut knobs help fine tune the KK so I'm very glad to own one. It mops the floor with anything else I have tried.

4. menatone

menatone Member

you will be surprised. on the fast/grad is fully controlable by a trim pot inside. and the crashed/wreck mode is controllable by the bass control which is not a traditional bass knob.

brian
    menatone

5. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

I just picked up the last version of the Kar Krash. I like the Krash mode the best. I like the beefier sound it has. This might be the most amp like pedal I have ever played. Very dynamic, and very sensitive to your attack.

The only thing I dislike is the gain variance between the fast and gradual modes. I like the boost it provides, but often it is too much. If there was a trimmer or control to shrink the gap it would be much better.

6. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

This answer your question?

7. jms6668

jms6668 Member

Is this in reference to the 8 knob KK or the Wreck'd pedal? If it is the 8 knob KK that is being described here, I never knew it had a trim pot. I am almost afraid to mess with it; option anxiety is hard to get rid of.

8. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Member

I'm interested in this too. I'm about to pull the trigger on one of the 8 knob KKs.

Also opinions of the new Wreck'd pedal- is it substanitally different/better...?

TIA

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  9. slopeshoulder

he meant the 4 knob.

btw, on the KK, wreck mode can be plenty full,you just have to turn the knobs. if you set krash mode to a good sound and then switch to wreck mode, it won't sound good.
    but tweak bass, mids, cut, treble, and presence to dial in ultimate trainwreck sound.

10. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Member

Thanks. So, given the choice you'd go with the sound -and flexibility- of the 8 knob KK? over the new Wreck'd..?

again, TIA

11. jms6668

jms6668 Member

I thought the new Wreck't doesn't have the Fast/Grad switch or a Crash/Wreck option. My thinking was that it was just the Wreck side of the previous KK model (8 Knob). Just a bit confused by Brian's post.
    I love both modes of my 8 knob KK. Each one is so versatile once you start tweaking. The controls are very interactive. So please don't tell me there is a trim pot inside. :)

12. slopeshoulder

I have KK and use krash side as default for light-medium gain, then hit with other pedals (unless I'm recording, then I set it wherever I want it). I'd like to have Wreck't also in order to have both at my feet.

Sounds like he did a great job making a smaller and more affordable box that does a lot.

13. Steve_2020

Steve_2020 Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

Btw, I could (easiliy) be wrong, but when I looked a pic of the Wreck'd on an online store site, it seemed to have s switch for fast/grad. Again, could be wrong. I do believe it's true, tho, that it is the Wreck'd side of the KK pedal, no toggle.

As has been said here and on other Menatone threads, seems like the redesign is to make great sounding pedals with a smaller footprint, optimized features etc, and a bit lower price to be competitive.

14. ari

ari Member

I had the 8-knob version for a while, and I mainly played with the Wreck side. It was better for my Strat: more gain and more low end. But with 8 knobs I just kept dialing and dialing... and while I dialed, none of them really adjusted the things I wanted to adjust, like the boost amount or how fast the attack is. So I sold it.

I am looking forward to trying the 4-knob version. The 8-knobber was a great lesson in self-discovery: too many knobs are bad for me.

ari

15. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

This quote is in reference to the new Wreck't pedal. As you turn the bass control up you begin to almost slide right into the Krash type tones. I'm not sure if the KK has a trim pot as well. That would be a question for Brian.
    Also, on the Wreck't there is no switch for fast gradual, just the trim pot.

16. johan

johan Member

Brian help us out here -

I have a Kar Krasch too. I love it! The only negative is the HUUUUGGEE boost I get in fast mode. I asked you and you told me to NOT touch any of the trim pots. Now I don't know how to read your post. Is it ok to play with the trim pots? Which one controls what?
    Again, it's one of my favorite ODs!

17. Cap'nMayhem

Cap'nMayhem Member

It's true, you shouldn't touch any of the trim pots without specific instructions from Brian. Most of the trim pots are for biasing up the JFETs and such. It would be real easy to make the pedal not work or at least sound like ass.

18. slopeshoulder

and then sell it to some unlucky person! :agree

19. brianf

brianf Member

Here is an inside shot of the 8 knob K.K. Not sure if those 6 orange things are adjustable or not?

[​IMG]

brianf

20. menatone

menatone Member

Dont adjust any of the pots across the middle. there is no adjustment for the fast/grad. on the new wreck't pedal there is only one trim pot that adjusts for the Fast/Grad tones.

in the above version you can adjust the trim pot on the bottom right. this is the only user adjustable pot, all the others are for bias only.
    the pot on the bottom right (which as you recall is the only user adjustable trim pot, did i mention that?) sets the overall treble response of the whole circuit. turn it cw for brighter tones, ccw for darker tones.
    also, in case you forgot don't adjust any other trim pots.

just want to make things clear.

keep posted as i will be putting up samples of the new Wreck't pedal and
    None more Black this week hopefully.

brian
    menatone