Menatone Kar Krash Youtube Demo

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluePowder, Feb 17, 2008.

1. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Hi Folks

Here's a quick demo I did of my Kar Krash today.

You can check it out right here at this link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_dhvVmp178

I didn't get a chance to go record at my buddy's place, we spent the whole day practicing and trading licks, we totally forgot about the demo. The recording is done with a digital camera. So please excuse the sound quality. There's noticable amounts of compression, mid hump and slight tinges of fuzzyiness.

But all that is in no way from the pedal.

I'm playing my newly acquired Baker, into my pedalboard, and straight into my completely stock Fender DRRI through the normal channel. The amp is running at about 3-ish, eq on the amp is set equal with treble and bass at 5. The only pedals which are on are my Axess BS2 buffer, the Menatone Kar Krash, and Moog Analog Delay.

I'll try my best to get better quality samples, provided the opportunity presents itself. I'm hoping to do a few to showcase the low gain and high gain capabilities of the pedal.

The Kar Krash is set at the "Wrecked" voicing, slightly more trebles, a little lesser gain and lesser compression. I've got the "Fast/Grad" switch on as well for the gain boost. I've got my gain knob set at about 1 o'clock, there's still much more gain available for use than what is heard in the video.

The real life tone IMHO is a slightly more complex tone of the early VH Brown sound, still as in your face and as aggressive, but just not as harsh.

I hope you enjoy the demo, please excuse me if it's not up to par; it's my first time doing a demo :)

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

That's as 'brown' as you can get :D Nice demo and great chops btw :AOK

3. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

Thanks for this post- been waiting to hear this beast in action!

5. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Thanks for the kind words folks, I'll do my best to get proper ones done. Volume knob clean ups, the Kar Krash vs. other pedals perhaps. :D

If you do get the chance, quit waiting and get on the list!

Really a killer pedal to own and play.

By the way, here is a picture just for reference of the settings on the Kar Krash I used in the clip, I'm too lazy to type out the setting for every knob, the amp is set completely clean.
    [​IMG]

6. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

That sounded killer. Great clip and playing too.

7. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Damn! I was on the list and ended up passing. Now I feel like an idiot. That sounds simply killer. Nice job.

8. j_m_s

j_m_s Member

Great playing and tone.

btw, was that a prs se semi hollow? it looks like one. haha.

9. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

you are responsible for me spending more money.
    :JAM:D

10. Electric I

Electric I Member

Well done on all accounts & thanks for the g.a.s.

11. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

Very nice clip! I want to try one of these out ASAP. How long is the waiting list? Are you getting these directly from Menatone or is there a store out there with a waiting list?

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Very cool. I NEEEEEED one of those.

13. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Thanks for the kind words guys!

I got mine from Brian at Super Sound Music, the service there was excellent! There was rumour that the pedal would be out sometime in August of last year, but I guess Brian Mena wanted to wait till NAMM, I finally got mine a few weeks ago, numbe 15!

I got myself on the list again for a buddy of mine, I believe they should be shipping out sometime in may or june.

You ALL need a Kar Krash! :D

I waited a total of about 6-7 months for mine, the wait was well worth it! I couldn't be happier!

14. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Thanks for the clip. I'd be interestyed to hear more of the touch sensitivity and response to pick attack and volume pot (wrecks are known for that).

15. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Actually its interesting you mentioned that.

I'm using my fingers in the very first few seconds of the video...strange thing about this pedal is how it reacts to the amount of attack you place on the strings, when I use my fingers or smoother picks I can get an almost bloomy sort of tone.

I'll keep that in mind when I record a new one. :D

16. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

Nice demo BluePowder! I got mine from Brian@SuperSound Music too...#004! I also have one of the PTP versions of the KK and they are both outstanding pedals, but I really like that the newest version has the separate footswitch to switch between the grad/fast mode and you can also get a little more over the top with the Wrecked setting.

I have always said that the KK is the best OD pedal I've ever played/owned...extremely touch sensitive, cleans up really well with the guitar's volume knob, and it sounds great no matter how you set the controls...awesome pedal!!!

17. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I'm impressed!

The clip sounds great!

I hear a lot of texture in the tone, very cool!

18. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Hi,

Since you have a DRD also, how does it comepare? Which one has a more in your face sound with tight bottoms?

19. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Tighter bottoms would be the Kar Krash, the DRD is really good for the high gain distortion, but lacks somewhat in terms of the low ends and midrange.

I have compared the 2, the DRD is more of a straight ahead distortion pedal, the Menatone however has a more complex amp like tone and definitely more versatile. But the DRD isn't going anywhere! :D

20. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Does the Kar Krash do High gain well? I am deciding between this and the DRD actually. I have the Fish Factory to cover my low and medium gain needs already.