Menatone King of the Britains - Short Review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by se7en, Jan 20, 2008.

1. se7en

se7en Senior Member

Just got this pedal the other day. Sounds pretty killer. I'm currently really digging the 3rd mode with the volume at 3 o'clock and gain around 12 o'clock. Reccomended for those looking for a plexi tone to add to their rig. It's very amp-like for a pedal - great response and dynamics, cleans up real well too. The only complaints I have is that the EQ controls seem to do very little to anything to the sound and it sounds best with the volume control turned up to 3 o'clock or so vs. 12 o'clock ....which makes it tough to go back to clean - b/c of the drop in volume.

2. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

What guitars and amps ya using?

3. DrGonzo

DrGonzo Gold Supporting Member

I love my KOTB. You get so many great Marshall tones with a little knob-tweaking.

I was REALLY surprised at the pleasant way that the boost side alters your tone even at unity. The boost side didn't factor into my decision to buy the pedal at all and now I find that I use it all of the time.

I'm a definite gear swapper and I just can't seem to let the KOTB go. With it and the Zendrive I have my OD needs covered.

4. se7en

se7en Senior Member

PRS SE Singlecut
    Soldano SLO

5. se7en

se7en Senior Member

Yeah, it's gotta be one of the best Marshall-in-a-box pedals. I don't seem to get a whole lot of different tones by tweaking the knobs though...at least that's the way it seems right now. Maybe you can point out some things with I'm not hearing? Also, I'm curious to try this with an 18v adapter to see what it does for the pedal.

6. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

Can it achive the JTM45 sound too (maybe at low gain settings)? Or should I look somwhere else for this?

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Menatone WorkingmansBlue for excellent chunky JTM-45 tones.
    I love this pedal!:BEER

8. se7en

se7en Senior Member

It's more of Superlead 100 watt type of sound, although I'm not an expert on old Marshall amps. The ZVex Box of Rock is supposed to do a pretty good JTM-45 sound (what is was designed to do)...some find that pedal a little too bassy though for them. The Menatone Working Man's Blue is also voiced for that sound and is probably what I would go for if I was looking for it. Also, the Indyguitarist's Plexi-drive should also be a good choice from what I've read.

9. se7en

se7en Senior Member

Yeah, it's not a major drawback I agree, just unfortunately my amp doesn't have separate EQ knobs for clean and overdrive channels (Soldano SLO)...so I have to run some EQ settings on my Gmajor if I want to compensate (which I haven't felt the need to yet). I also find that the pedal sounds best with the volume knob turned to 3 o'clock or higher on the KOTB...this unfortunately makes my clean channel a good deal quieter when I switch back to it...oh well...I suppose I'll figure a way around it. I definatley want to pick up some more of these pedals when money affords. Possibly a Working Man's Blue. And I wonder what an 18 volt adapter would do for the KOTB. Did you get a manual with yours? I bought one on eBay and it didn't come with one.

10. exodus

exodus Member

i've done it at 18 volts... it makes it quite louder.

11. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Tips:
    With KOTB, set all EQ near 10, because you would on a '68 plexi.
    With woerkingmans's blue, turn bass WAY down, because you would on a JTM45.

I sold 4 good marshall style pedals: Crunchbox (80's hair tone), BOR (too much bass, too much boost, too small sweet spot), OCD (just perfered the authenticity of the KOTB and WMB more), and Fetto (great pedal, but too much tweaking inside, and a tiny bit processed for me, more of an 80 sound). The KOTB is like live Zep. And the WMB is everything from Nels with Wilco to AC/DC. I love 'em.

12. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the tips. I got the KOB several months ago and just got the WMB for $149 shipped. I am trying to justify having them both on the board. Any other settings you'd recommend?

13. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

The revamped Menatone line looks interesting, like the battery compartment ;-) I'm curious as to whether the switch/jacks are off board. Also, are the cases silk screened or is it a sticker for the printing.

Has anyone sonically compared the new KOTB to the Crunch Box, can the KOTB do what the Crunch Box does but with better clean-up ability and dynamics?

14. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

The new cases are silk screened. The finish is great. The footswitches are not mounted to the PC board. FYI the old Menatones look like that they had a sticker on top for the graphics, but they were silkscreened.

15. slopeshoulder

Tips and answers.
    KOTB: I set gain to noon or 1:00, 2:00 at the most, and set volume to noon. I hit the boost at 9:00 for "more."
    I also hit it with a Zendrive, Klon, Eternity (all set low), treble booster, or fuzzface. To me the KOTB screams Zep. Just don't give in to the tempatation to crank the gain really high. A lot of inexperienced players crank the gain and think, "wow, Marshall, rawk!!" Uh, no. That's more like Guitar Center kid buzz sound (shite). Try medium gain, a high output, aggressive attack, and boost, treble boost or fuzz before it. And the amp at gigging volume. That's How the West Was Won! The grind is there, but so is the clang!!!
    WMB: I leave EQ mostly the same, volume at noon. With gain at noon, it's warm and bassman-like, then at 3:00 it rocks. I adjust sag as I turn gain higher.
    Know the amp Mena emulates, know what its quirks and strenghts are, and then use the pedal like an amp. hink of other pedals before them as pedals.
    Marshalls aren't really about EQ, they tend to have one good setting (not unlike fenders in this way, although th voice is totally different), with just a little variation to account for the guitar you're playing. It's really all in the gain and sag. Listen for music, not for insta-rawk. Then tone will follow.
    My two cents.

16. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Slopes! Someone asked me if I could get a reasonable WMB tone out of the KOB. I can't actually. Different beasts! Agree?

17. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    guess i should trade in my Emplexador II and by a KOB

18. honduras

honduras Supporting Member

What switch settings do you recommend on the KOTB? I love positions 1 & 2 but position 3 seems very trebly. I am only using it at bedroom levels with the gain set for medium drive and volume set at between 10 and 12. Is there a secret to getting the third position to sound more full or is it all related to amp volume?

19. slopeshoulder

Different beasts for sure. WMB is warmer and sweeter.
    KOTB is more aggressive and bright, but nothing like a JCM800. Metalfront at most.
    KOTB: 3 is trebly; it's the bright input of a plexi. the others are the bright input with cap removed, and the "normal" input, I think.

20. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm afraid the new KotB didn't work out for me. In fact I didn't like it at all. I found a harsh upper mid thing going on, that I just couldn't seem to dial out. Bear in mind that this is through an AC30, and G12-65's, so my rig is not short on mids - which may have had a lot to with it.
    I didn't like the quality of the distortion either. Just didn't sound amp-like to me. I know different rigs can make a pedal sound completely different, but through my rig, the KotB was a shocker.
    However, I did think the battery compartment design was just brilliant - all pedals should be made this way !!
    BTW, the CrunchBox works very well through my rig. The KotB seemed to have a VERY different voice to the CB.