Menatone King Of the Britans - 'Marshall-in-a-box' or just another OD pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deaj, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Deaj

Deaj Member

I'm looking for a overdrive/distortion pedal that can do a convincing cranked Marshall Plexi or early metal panel JMP and respond more like an amp than a pedal. I've never played a pedal capable of doing this convincingly. Does the KOB actually do it? If so which version should I be looking for. (if amp type is a factor I'm using a Fuchs ODS50 - clean is similar to Fender 'blacface' amps).

Thanks!

2. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

I'm the prwd owner of a KotB6 but I can't help you I'm afraid! It only arrived today and unfortunately I am in a different country to it. Dang! I wish it had got to me earlier so I could have testdriven it. I'm hoping it does the Marshall thing well otherwise it's back to the drawingboard again...

Someone here promised me some KotB clips but I never heard them.

B.T.W. I have a Menatone Top Boost in a Can and I can't praise that pedal enough. It's amplike and definately not transparent but I think it does what it says on top. Plus the "normal" (Foxey) channel is a great add on!

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

Congrats! (and I hope time passes quickly :) ). I look forward to hearing your observiations once you've had a chance to play it.

Based on the many positive comments about the KOB6 I went ahead and purchased one from Tone Merchants this afternoon. I should be seeing it Thursday afternoon.

Is there anyone else that can speak to this question?

Thanks!

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

tonebone hot british gives the greatest marshall plexi-in-a-box that I've ever heard.

You can try one out at any decent guitar store

5. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks for the feedback! I liked the sound of the Hot British alot but found it to be too compressed and thus didn't care for the feel. The KOB6 is described as being more open and amp-like in response so I'm hoping this description holds true.

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

FWIW, with a Twin I didn't like it as much as the "Marshall" channel on a Rivera Chubster. It's amplike for a pedal, but doesn't compare to an amp that's even half-way Marshall voiced.

7. Deaj

Deaj Member

This is true of most pedals unfortunately. :( It is, however, a reality I can live with.

I used to own alot of amps - mostly vintage Marshall and Fender amps and a few boutique amps - so that I had access to different sounds. But even with more than 10 amps to choose from I always seemed to favor one of them and the rest just collected dust (mostly a '64 Fender BF Pro for the clean to clean-on-the-edge tones - then later a Fender Super Champ when I stopped gigging). I'd take that amp and some pedals over anything else.

The Marshall thing is an occasional desire for me - never was strong enough for me to keep a Marshall amp around sitting idle for very long. I've owned quite a few Marshall and Marshall inspired amps (a JTM45, three JMP50's, a 2204 combo, and a THD Plexi head, four 4x12 and two 4x10 Marshall cabs - all great sounding amps) and they just never got much use. I'd always grab the Fender. I also used to own a Rivera Jake (owned the 2204 combo at the same time) and I pretty much only used the Jake - and only the 'Fender' channel (Ch.2) on that amp and a pedal board. I now keep only one amp as that's all I'll use (he can be taught :D ). Since I'm not gigging anymore I've no need for a backup.

My current amp is a Fuchs ODS 50 SLX combo. It has great clean tones, great OD tones, and takes pedals like nobodys business. I use a CJOD as my main OD pedal and a Timmy as a post OD EQ/boost. I'm now auditioning pedals for occasional hard rock duty - in the Marshall vein. Not looking for the cranked 'Plexi' thing as much as I am the cranked NMV JMP50 sound (broad, moving target I know) and it sounds like the KOB6 is a reasonable contender. Amp-like response is every bit as important as the resulting tone and there don't appear to be that many pedals that fit the bill. Sounds from your feedback like I'm still on the right track (or the $225 I spent on the KOB is allowing me to read what I want into your comments :D - won't know for sure until Thursday). I'll be sure to post my observations once I've had a chance to play with it.

Thanks! :)

8. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

I think you should be checking out the Blue Collar instead of the KOTB. Isn't the KOTB based on later Marshall amps? The Blue Collar is plexi-like.

Jeff

9. Deaj

Deaj Member

I suspect I'll be offering the KOB in trade for a Blue Collar if it doesn't work out.

10. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

jcshirke,

I think you mean the Workingmans Blue. That is somewhere in the tonal park of a JTM45.

The Blue Collar is a tube screamer type pedal...