1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Menatone KOTB 7-knob vs Weehbo JTM Drive video

Discussion in 'Reviews of Pedals and Effects' started by jasonmetalfreak, Jul 26, 2017.

1. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

I just made a quick shootout of these two pedals, as they are both on top of the MIAB pedals. Both sounds great, the Weehbo has more high-end glassiness and grittiness, whereas the Menatone has more mids and sounds more smooth and less aggressive. To me the Menatone sounds better with single coils, whereas the Weehbo sounds better with humbuckers. I was going to keep them both, unfortunately the KOTB I bought is second-hand and it has a glitch on the boost side. So the KOTB got returned. Hope I can get another KOTB or the King later and make a better comparison.:)
    BTW, both pedals in this vid are running at 9v.

Please leave your comments, which one do you prefer? Thanks! :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    Godspeed64 likes this.
  2. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

JTM vs. Plexi - your pick.

3. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

Well, I'm afraid that is not the case. I've watched many videos of Marshall JTM and Plexi comparison, I don't think they have such a big difference as those MIAB pedals do. The gain structure of the vintage marshall amps are very similar, but they have more difference on the EQ IMHO.

4. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

5. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

Well, please check out those videos. For me there are less difference between the JTM and Superlead/Superbass amps than the difference between the MIAB pedals, in terms of the gain structure especially.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. captnice

captnice Member

Menatone recently built me a PTP KOTB 7-knob. I couldn't find one used and The King was different from what I remembered my original 7-knob sounded like.
    It cost a few bucks but Menatone really delivered. My favorite distortion pedal.

jasonmetalfreak likes this.
  7. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

What's the difference between the KOTB 7-knob and The King Studio version? I'm going to order The King Studio but it seems the Menatone have replaced the old big box version with the new small box version.
    [​IMG]

8. captnice

captnice Member

This King Studio version brings out the internal adjustments of The King to the outside of the box.
    The version I had custom built is essentially his old 7 knobber in a slightly smaller case, no battery. It has the 3-way switch (not the same as the switches on the King or Studio) and a Boost switch.

[​IMG]

9. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

Do the old 7 knobber KOTB and The King Studio have difference to the tone? How about the tone compared between The King Studio and The King normal version? Thanks!

10. captnice

captnice Member

I had The King. I didn't ever get the King Studio. They are the same, IMO, with The King Studio having the old internal adjustments brought outside the box.
    The King and my Custom Shop do not sound similar.

11. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

Thanks. So which one do you think the tone is more true to the real marshall amp? The King or your KOTB 7-knobber? Maybe I'll get a custom shop KOTB just like yours. :)

12. captnice

captnice Member

The 7-knobber. That 3-way switch is like the treble, normal, or combined inputs on a Marshall. It's got more Marshall high-treble, high-mid tone. Cleans up better and has the Boost switch. Plus it's point-to-point wired.

13. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

Thanks, think I'm going to write to Menatone for ordering. One thing I've found on the 7-knobber is that it seems to lack some "bite" and "grit" compared to the Weehbo, but I like its "fatter" sound with single coils. Does the King have more "bite" and "grit" than the 7-knobber, and have the same "fatter" sound as well? Thanks.

14. captnice

captnice Member

IMO the 7-knobber has more bite. It's pretty smooth. I don't think it has any grit. Here's a tune w/ the 7-knob KOTB

15. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

Then I'll probably get the custom 7-knobber if The King Studio has less bite and grit. Thanks!

16. jasonmetalfreak

jasonmetalfreak Member

I just wrote to Brian Mena and here are the explanation of the King studio and KOTB:
    "the Studio King is simply better than the 7 knob KOB. it does everything the 7 knob can do but also can do jtm45, jcm800, or any other Marshall based sound. if you really want a custom 7 knob KOB i can make you a point to point one but it is pricey. if you do want a custom 7 knobber i can send you a paypal invoice for the custom work. just let me know. build time on the 7 knob would be about 4-5 weeks and it will look like this.
    [​IMG]

"the studio king is circuit boarded. both the big and small box are the same. on the big box i just wired the controls on the outside on the new one i put them on the circuit board. the sound is exactly the same, same parts same circuit board. the King runs off of 9 volts but it is internally voltage doubled to 18 volt. only run a 9 volt supply."
    [​IMG]

I think I'm going to get the King studio, as it has more versatility and its internally voltage doubled to 18 volt. The custom PTP KOTB seems way too pricey if it sounds the same as the one I've got.