Menatone pedals..Any good?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gpro34, Feb 16, 2008.

1. gpro34

gpro34 Member

I've had a lot of pedals and was just thinking, "I've never had a Menatone pedal."
    That being said, what are your experiences with these pedals? What are the stand outs, and which have you tried and liked? Thanks

2. Janglin_Jack

Janglin_Jack Member

Red Snapper is one killer OD pedal.

Jack

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

His amp-in-a-can pedals are incredible. You can't think of them as typical ODs - crank the gain and volume and go for it - you really need to set them like you would an amp, and they become quite touch sensitive, dynamic, amp-like. I've got a bunch of the old style pedals, would like to try the modern counterparts. But the Dirty Blondes (I have 2 plus the proto) and the Red Snapper aren't going anywhere - they're keepers.

4. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

I did not like the Red Snapper at all, but the amp-in-a-box pedals are true masterpieces. Spend some time with them and you'll find many sweet spots.

5. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

What dave said. I love Brian's approach.

Big fan of the new Car Crash, as well as the King of the Brits, and the old Fish Factory. (I will find one of those when I have money someday).

6. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

His amp-in-a-can pedals have blown me away, so a big +1 to what other have said about them. Made my fender style amp sound like a Marshall or a Vox (depending on the pedal). Really amazing their transformative power.

I also liked the Red Snapper quite a bit. Used as a light OD it was really responsive and had a very nice feel to it.

7. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

What they said!! I have the KOB and WMB. Not going anywhere.
    I now need the TBIAC

8. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I really dig the Ms. Foxy Brown. Gives me light Stones style od to heavier Page-type sounds. The sag control really gives it an amp-like feel. I set my Z to clean with a little edge and the Foxy Brown makes it like another amp.

9. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

as far as i know, Mena has done pedal versions of: Vox, blonde Fenders, Marshall (plexi, jtm 45, 18w), Dumble, Fargen, Trainwreck/Komet.
    Did he ever did a Mesa Boogie?

10. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Love my Blue Collar-not an amp in a can but kind of a hot-rodded tube screamer.

11. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

I've so far been able to resist...but the new Kar Krash has got my attention :D

12. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Menatone pedals rock!

I've been a long time advocate of them, the current collection right now is probably the best sounding menatones available. I've tried out the KOTB, TBIAC, Howie and the Kar Krash.

All of them are simply killer.

Start saving your pennies man, Menatones are addictive!!! :D

13. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Oh great!! :jo

14. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

LOL!

I would get on the list for the new high gain distortion pedal he's making, the None More Black, but the only one in existence was the one at NAMM. :(

Brian Mena is just amazing, such a good ear; his pedals are all voiced absolutely perfectly!!!!

15. Dana

Dana Guest

I've owned the Blue Collar, Howie, Red Snapper, TBIAC, and Workingman's Blue.

All were great pedals, but for my purposes the Red Snapper just killed. I've since sold everything but the Red Snapper.

16. crosse79

crosse79 Member

They are among the best. I've had a Fish Factory as my main OD for quite some time now.

17. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I have the King of the Britains (new version), and it is absolutely killer!!

18. u12drag

u12drag Silver Supporting Member

They are not just good... they are great. I think it has ben said here, already. They have actually transformed my single ended amp into a small arsenal of amps. THe KOTB is just a Monster. I am, also, really enjoying the new Kar Krash. I have a Red Snapper, which I like, but it is just not the same for me as the Amps in a box. It's a great pedal, though. Really versatile and a nice, flat, non compressed OD. I think I like my TIM just a little bit more, though. Maybe I'll go back and mess with them again. I, also, have a pleasure Trem. I like it, as it is pretty unique. I am going to be getting a Howie and TBIAC and Blue Collar, as soon as I can afford them. You can't go wrong with them. Have fun spending your money. As it's been said, they are addicting. but, they are cheaper than amps.

19. jb1911

jb1911 Member

If the Red Snapper isn't up to the amps in a can level, they must really be awesome pedals. The RS is the only Menatone that I've had and I love it. I find more great tones in it every time I use it. I can't think of anything bad to say about it.

20. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

+1 on the Menatone

My RS sounds great- very transparent- as advertised