Menatone Red Snapper

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bobster, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Bobster

Bobster Supporting Member

Hey guys, just need some information on this pedal.

Seen many versions of it, what sound does it emulate? I know many ODs emulate the TS808.

Next, which version is the "best" (if there is a best in the first place). I've seen the 3 knob and the 4knob ones.. White coloured ones even. Just thinking of getting one.

Feedback please!

Bob

2. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

It's just a real sweet, musical TS. I prefer the 4 knob because the 3 knob has a lot of highs that are hard to dial out. Many prefer the 3 knob though. Just my .02

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

4 Knob PTP was my favorite sounding overall, but the differences were minimal at best. It was splitting hairs at that point.

4. Tito83

Tito83 Member

I think it's no TS at all. I suck at describing tone, but I think it's flatter, tighter and waaay less compressed then any TS imo. My fave low gain pedal.

And call me crazy, I liked the newer version better then the PTP one :messedup.

hdahs143 likes this.
  5. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

It's very different to my ears than any of the TS type pedals I've played. Much less compression and different EQ. I love my newer version 4 knob RS...nothing has touched it for sweet low gain OD. I've never played an old 3 knob version, but the cut control is critical for dialing out a little of the bite in my 4 knob version.

6. Bobster

hmm, compare it vs a timmy? I've heard that the 3knob white or red version has the most balanced eq. Any comments on it?

7. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

No mid hump, very dialable highs, maintains lows, and has the smoothest, not ratty/grainy/fuzzy, transition to overdrive I've ever experienced. Great for dirty clean, and FWIW can nail the whole new york slightly dirty jazz thing. My favorite low gainer.

8. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

I haven't tried a timmy, so I can't compare myself, but based on what other people have said, the timmy's dirt is a little "grainier" than the RS and the timmy's eq is more powerful.

I'd like to try the timmy at some point, but I don't really have gas for one because the RS is so nice.

9. funkycam

funkycam Member

I would describe it as a fatter fuller smoother ts.
    Def less grainy.
    I know this sounds contradicting, but it's smoother & has a bit more top end presence than a ts808.
    I had the 4 knob.
    It gets a lot of love around here, but I actually found it a little unexceptional... YMMV

10. Bobster

Hmm by "fatter fuller smoother", are you saying that the RS has more mid-hump than a ts808 and more compressed tone?

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Whatever funkycam's response may be, I'd just like to jump in and say "No". It's much closer to a Tim than a TS in terms of neutrality, and it's very lightly compressed; not overt or obviously so. And because its gain is a bit tighter & smoother, and the cleanup is more natural and not spitty, it makes for a better standalone OD than a Timmy IMO. But "fat" or "full" are not words I'd use to describe the Red Snappers I've owned. It's a quite neutral, clear and dynamic OD.

12. Bobster

Thanks Ben C. My sentiments exactly, i've compared the RS side of the Fish Factory with my Timmy and the Timmy still stacks the best with my other pedals. I never found the RS to have the mid hump that the TS808s have. Instead, i feel that the RS is quite a transparent low-mid gain OD. Hard to stack up with other pedals although the Fish Factory has been balanced to accomodate both the RS boosting the Blue Collar. Other than that, its been hard to stack it with other pedals. Maybe its because i do not have the cut knob.

Back to the focus of the thread, are there any tangible differences between the 3knob (white or red ones) vs the 4knob(in-line or new narrow boxes)? Points to mention would be the circuitry or the parts used etc.. I believe this would give us a better idea.

13. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

+100!

14. funkycam

funkycam Member

Sorry if my description was confusing
    Red Snapper has flatter mids, less compressed, my point was that it has a bigger sonic footprint

15. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I agree not a TS at all! More like a Tim/Timmy pedal, very nice pedal (4knob pcb version)!