Menatone Simplexity

ezra1

Yesterday I was on Facebook and saw that Menatone had a couple of pedals coming out of his Custom Shop.
It caught my attention and I exchanged some emails with Brian.
I checked out a video of the Simplexity and liked what I was hearing.
Sort of a harmonic enhancer into an overdrive to my ears.
I have had real good luck and experiences with Menatone effects and they have booted some pedals off my board that previously I was very happy with.
Long story short, I ordered one last night.
Has anyone owned one of the previous issues of the Simplexity and how did you like it ?
.......I have a compulsive weakness for dirt boxes.

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
Haven't heard of the Simplexity, but Brian makes some of my favorite dirt pedals. Any links to the clips or info for those of us not on FB?

calfzilla

Cynical Hack
Wouldn't mind the KotB or the studio version The King... Or how about one of those pipes???

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Yesterday I was on Facebook and saw that Menatone had a couple of pedals coming out of his Custom Shop.
It caught my attention and I exchanged some emails with Brian.
I checked out a video of the Simplexity and liked what I was hearing.
Sort of a harmonic enhancer into an overdrive to my ears.
I have had real good luck and experiences with Menatone effects and they have booted some pedals off my board that previously I was very happy with.
Long story short, I ordered one last night.
Has anyone owned one of the previous issues of the Simplexity and how did you like it ?
.......I have a compulsive weakness for dirt boxes.
I have a Simplexity in the first position on my board and it works very well at adding just a touch of open-sounding germanium hair to a basic cleanish amp / guitar sound. It stacks well too and seems less finicky than a Rangemaster-style treble boost.

I have my dirt pedals each set for fairly low gain and I switch between a CircuitRider Fx Klone, the Simplexity, a Marvel Drive v3 and a Clusterfuzz (dialed down to a Cinnamon Girl sound).

-bEn r.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I found the clip here on TGP.
There is only this one lonely clip that exists I think) and after I heard it I somehow stumbled across an unlinked / abandoned web page for it on the Menatone website. Then I emailed Brian and he built one for me.

-bEn r.

ezra1

I have a Simplexity in the first position on my board and it works very well at adding just a touch of open-sounding germanium hair to a basic cleanish amp / guitar sound. It stacks well too and seems less finicky than a Rangemaster-style treble boost.

I have my dirt pedals each set for fairly low gain and I switch between a CircuitRider Fx Klone, the Simplexity, a Marvel Drive v3 and a Clusterfuzz (dialed down to a Cinnamon Girl sound).

-bEn r.
I like the sound of a Treble Booster, but they don't work for me at moderate volume .

NeilYoungFan

Silver Supporting Member
Saw that on his FB, too. I e-mailed him but didn't hear back. If anyone has one for sale, please do let me know.

Last edited:

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
Saw that on his FB, too. I e-mailed him but didn't hear back. If anyone has one for sale, please do let me know.
No one knows the pedal at all, except maybe we three plus Brian Mena. It's really good though and it's worth your while to ping him. He'll probably respond eventually.

Tell him you're interested in a pipe ...and them mention the Simplexity.

-bEn r.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
@ChampReverb brings the funnay per how to engage Mr. Mena =).

[and he's very likely right heh]

+1 that Brian is a very nice guy to chat with. He's very bottom-line oriented but so are many engineer-types. Know what you want to know before calling.

Tabor

Silver Supporting Member
Arise Zombie thread!!

Just got one of these... what an incredible tool. Some jaw dropping sounds available. Stacking it with a tbiac makes a great thing better and even more versatile. Sounds good at practice levels even better in a big space at gig volume.

It really fattens and sweetens at lower gain levels and sings as you crank up the sensitivity. Edge of breakup sounds are to die for (but the tbiac has that in spades too).

not usually given to gushing about pedals but this is a great one. Brian just makes killer stuff that suits my needs perfectly.
I found a Simplexity recently too (newer version with top jacks - same circuit). I probably never would have known about Brian or this pedal if not for the forum and old threads like this and for @ChampReverb spreading the word.

I use it for edge-of-breakup sounds... often stacked into a Barbershop (also set for very low gain). Even with both on my guitar still sounds and feels the same as far as EQ and compression... in other words the tone is still dynamic with a full range of EQ represented without any shift.

The Simplexity has a pretty aggressive, raw edge to the clipping of that GE transistor... a perfect "underfuzz"; nice on its own and one of the best pedals for stacking and for playing nicely with other types of pedals in series without altering the signal. At this point it has unseated the Broadcast I was using for similar sounds before...

HuntersHelm

Silver Supporting Member
I have had a Simplexity for a bit and love it for the reasons mentioned above, especially going from clean to hairy with the guitar volume knob, but because it brings more out of all frequencies I found it had too much low end when stacked or driving an amp.
So I contacted Brian and he modded it with a 3-way bass cut switch - now I can use it in pretty much every application. Low cut for clean stuff, mid cut for crunchy rhythm and high cut for leads. Made a great pedal one of my favorites!

Last edited:

Trending Topics