Menatone TBIAC: Old or new version?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by revgsmall, Jan 12, 2008.

1. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I am going to try one, with my Gretsch 5129 fat body (DeArmond single coils) and my Vox AC-15. I see the new version has a boost. Is it effective/useful?. Or should I save a couple of bucks and shop for an older version?

I am looking for something that is going to retain that Vox grind and chime. I've been using (not all at the same time) a Fulldrive 2, a OCD, and a RC Booster, all with pretty good results.

2. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

:munchHmmm, maybe this is not a popular pedal...

3. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I LOVE this pedal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The boost is GREAT. Even turned fully counter clockwise, it's adds something.
    Also, the newer version is based on an entire AC30, while the older one was based on only the preamp section. This is true off all new Menatones.
    I really liked my old 4 and 5 knob versions, but prefer the newer one (8 knob). BTW, you can set it to keep your gain the same and just use it to get the AC30 voice (detail, shimmer), and use the boost to get gain. I do this most of the time.

4. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

It sounds very intriguing. I usually run my Vox-AC 15 with just a touch of breakup when you hit it hard on the guitar. The RC was a great booster after that to bring up some of the amps grind. I am hoping thats what I 'll get out to the newer TBIAC version and then for a second sound I want the AC-30 cranked sound for the more agressive rock & roll vibe. My band and I are currently more in the Rockabilly, Bodiddley, Eddie Cochran, Ventures theme but with a little more moderne edge.

5. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

For a long time, I have gigged with a board that contained a tuner, an RC Boost and one other OD (Zendrive, AC Boost, etc.). The Zen settled into the number one OD slot and nothing moved the RC off the board.

Until I picked up an 8 knob TBIAC.

I was looking for an alternate OD sound that was different from my standard stuff. The TBIAC's OD (TBIAC) mode was a nice change evoking some of that Vox thing. The boost was the pleasant surprise. I admit that I didn't fully understand it's function when I bought the pedal. Turns out it makes a respectable clean boost when engaged by itself. And when the TBIAC side is engaged, hitting the boost really pushes the TBIAC gain and volume giving a very useable solo setting.

I was able to keep the Zen on the board and move the RC off. Similar to slopeshoulder's application, I set the TBIAC section for unity volume and dial in the rhythm crunch I want using the Gain knob. Then I hit the boost for lead OD (or the Zen). Alternatively I can run clean and hit the boost for a cleaner solo (or boost the front end of the Zen). I really appreciate the versatility and it only takes up a little more space than the RC on my small board.

Plenty of adjustment available too. I can't say it sounds quite as good as the RC as a pure clean boost but it sounds good enough considering the added utility I gain. I still like the RC BTW. It really works well. The TBIAC works well too. Just differently.

hunter

6. slopeshoulder

This is fun:
    1. use the zen into the boost only of the TBIAC. Adds clarity and girth to the zen (even when boost is turned low).
    2. Also, use the zen into the OD-only (gain set low) of the TBIAC and you get into matchless/badcat/underground territory. That's great with a tele!! Yowza.
    My zen is before by TBIAC (and others) and works as a "boost" into an "amp." Gain's at about 11:00. TBIAC volume sets overall ouput (I like it at noon).

7. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

Now if I could just snag one slightly used for under that hefty $250 tag.

8. pappafox

pappafox Member

I have the older 5 knob version that took me forever to dial in, but once you find "that" setting, it's hard to beat. I goose it with an older Red Snapper for leads, or vice versa.

9. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

If you are patient you will eventually be able to get one on ebay or in the emporium for less than $200.

10. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

This is what I have been doing for the past year with my TBIAC, Howie, WorkingmansBlue, and Dirty Blonde. I had an older TBIAC and the new one is much improved. I didn't realize the older ones were based on the preamp side only. That is very interesting and I had one of those "aha" revelations.
    The Dirty Blonde is my only older version Menatone and I'm dying to upgrade it to a newer version. Last June I read a post by Brian Mena where he said the new Dirty Blonde would be out in late August but apparently the birth of a child has prempted that from happening yet (as well it should!). That still doesn't make me want him to get that pedal out ASAP because if it's sound is improved as much as the TBIAC's was, I will be in hog heaven. I dig Blonde Bassman tones.
    You can easily find a mint used TBIAC on TGP Emporium or ebay for $180 to $200 if you give it a week or two. I see them all the time.
    I dig the "amp in a box" idea for live stuff especially when we do cover gigs. It's like having 5 amps (adding my real Super Reverb) but not having to lug but one pedalboard.:BEERFor the studio I would prefer the real amps but for live use they are very effective and real do an excellent job of capturing those amps sounds and nuances.

11. revgsmall

revgsmall Member

I snagged one from Quinto!!! Hey does anyone have a sound sample of the new version? I heard the Menatone sample, I liked it. I could definitely hear the Vox vibe in it.

12. sandman

sandman Member

Is boost on latest Menatone line pre or post OD?

13. slopeshoulder

+1!! Me too. Except I prefer to record this way too. I sold all my amps but one. Haveing multiple cabs helps (I use blue and H). I miss my 412.
    BTW, the Kar Krash is shipping soon. The Nun More Black debuted at NAMM (it's high gain: uberschall, egnator, and deizel inspired; 2 channels with variable mid scoop on each). The Dirty Blonde is coming. I think it'll be a small box design with G,V,B, T with Presence on the inside (set and forget).

14. Dave

Dave Member

I usually don't go for the "amp in a box" type of pedals, but the TBIAC is great. It works especially well into a clean blackface Fender. I've never compared it side by side to an actual Vox, but there's no mistaking what it sounds like. The EQ controls work well and the "sag" and "cut" controls add a lot of flexibility. Until I get around to picking up an actual Vox the TBIAC is a keeper.

15. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I'm running my Menatones into a '65 Super Reverb and a Boogie Mark II and I can testify that they sound great through Fender and Fender inspired amps. I'm pretty sure I read that Brian designed these pedals with Fenders in mind but I might be wrong on this.
    Slopeshoulder, I was hoping the Dirty Blonde was going to look like the TBIAC, Howie, WMB, etc. Hmmm. Do you know if it is going to changed like the others from being based on the preamp to the whole amp?

16. Brick

Brick Member

I love my TBiaC through my Brown Deluxe inspired amp (Allen HFwN). One year later and I can still say that it is absolutely one of my all time favorite pedals. Still inspires.

I'm psyched to hear that the Dirty Blonde is coming out soon-ish

"Nun More Black"...hysterical.
    :rotflmao

revgsmall fatback did a video demo of the TBaiC but I can't seem to find it

17. slopeshoulder

Based on the whole amp.

18. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

That's great news. I really dig my Dirty Blonde. I call it my "secret weapon" since most people have no idea what it's about. If the sound of the new DB improves as much as the new TBIAC did compared to its earlier version then I will definitely be upgrading ASAP.:drool
    Thanks for the heads up, Slope!

19. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

8 knob TBIAC > BF SR is impressive. When pushed, the TBIAC sounds like the tubes are being waterboarded but won't give up. Very cool pedal and very touch sensitive.

20. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

The new dirty blond is out. www.supersoundmusic.com It is point to point wired smaller pedal. No boost. originally I heard Brian was going to build it like the other amp in the box pedal with the other switch being a tube screamer, but changed his mind. It looks like his pedal line is heading in a new direction. I just got his new od "shut up and drive " and it is really really good. The boost side of the TBIAC is now available as a pedal. Its called the "das boost" and has a toggle switch for a few different sounds. It is available at the site above.

Brian, am was I correct with what I wrote above?