Menatone - The King

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by King Rat, May 19, 2015.

1. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

Damn...sick MenaBoard...dig it...

2. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

This officially has me curious now... I've loved the KOTBs I've owned (7 knob & PTP small box 4 knob) but I always wished I could loosen them up a bit in the lows--- reach in and swap a tube rectifier for the KOTB's solid state rectifier, if you know what I mean. This internal switch sounds ideal...
    Flantrax, would you mind touching on how the Vintage mode compares to WMBs you've played? I liked the dark, chewy quality of a 5 knob WMB I borrowed from a friend a long time ago, but at the time I found it a little TOO loose if I opened the gain up.

3. flantrax

The SS/Tube Recto reference is exactly what I was thinking when I was messing with mine...that's how I'd describe it...we must think alike...

I had both a 5 knob and 8 knob WMB...the Vintage mode on The King is more usable in the bass frequencies...I found on my WMB's that I pretty much had to have the Bass almost off on most settings(when using some gain)...I can easily run it at 12:00 and have unity bass...there's way more of a sweep in the control with a lot of sweet spots and controllable low end...it has a nice SAG to it but doesn't get too squashed out...basically what I found with both it and my new Fish Factory is that Brian fined tuned them to the perfect spot learning from all of the previous versions...they have much wider sweet spots and are usable throughout the full gain/EQ ranges...I'm really happy with both...

4. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Yes the new FF is a really terrific box. Been digging mine as well.
    Thanks for the WMB (Weapon of Mass Bassman? ;) ) comparison, flantrax!

5. flantrax

WMB=Workingman's Blue
    KOTB=King of the Britians

6. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Weapon of Mass Bassman = joke ;)

7. lv

lv Supporting Member

Very tempting....

8. flantrax

Oh yeah, I was just posting for guys unfamiliar with Menatone pedals so they'd know what we were talking about...

I like your version for WMB better...Brian needs to do a pedal like that...

9. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

Maybe a WMB voiced a bit more like a Tweed Bassman with a boost circuit? Now we're talking!

10. coolcat2

coolcat2 Member

Anybody else get this pedal yet? I found some 15 second clips posted on his Facebook page but would love to hear more.

11. Sensates

Sensates Member

Would love to see a comparison with KOTB.
    I love my MK3 KOTB.

12. fred_

fred_ Silver Supporting Member

Bumping this thread to say i just ordered the King! Looking forward to it, and based on the remarks in this thread, it seems like a great one to pair with the Red Snapper i have and really like.

13. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I'm currently down to just a half a dozen or so Menatones, but it's a little embarrassing how many I owned over the years. At last count I think it was 31 pedals. He really offers a wide pallet.

Has anyone tried the new "The Bark and The Bite"? I saw them on ebay. I think they are exclusive to one dealer maybe?

Trubble888 likes this.
  14. Trubble888

Trubble888 Member

I have a Red Snapper, King of The Britains, Wreckt, Howie ( 2012 Small Box ) , Great White Buffalo ( nabbed one before the name change ), and just this past weekend bought a Fish Factory... big fan of his stuff

I did see a custom shop Bark n Bite pedal at TrueTone Music but couldnt get a description of exactly what it is, I think its an FET based overdrive but not sure, anyone else know about this pedal??

15. Clifton82

Clifton82 Member

I have the Fish Factory - and next week I will have a Top Boost in A Can - I love the sounds of an AC30 cranked - do any of you have experience with a TBIAC?

16. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I've had a couple of them, but I've never owned an AC-30. I think you'll like it.

17. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

same...i tried the 4 knob kotb at my local yesterday, and loved it. would have bought it then and there if i had space for it on my board. the king will fit nicely. but as long as i like it as much/more than the one i played.

they said they should be getting it in soon as they're about to place an order with menatone...i would buy direct but since the exchange rate is so awful at the moment, i'd rather pay a few dollars more to shoot out the pedals first and support the store.

18. King Rat

King Rat Member

isn't the kind like much cheaper direct?

19. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

the 4 knob is AUD$265...direct, the king is USD$149 + $32 shipping, which places it around AUD$233, and that's just XE rates, not the dearer paypal ones. assuming the king will be at or below the rate of the 4 knob kotb, i'd be happy to pay an extra $30 to see and try it in-store.

20. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

u were lucky.