Menatone - The King

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by King Rat, May 19, 2015.

1. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

:D:D:D

Brian makes amazing stuff.

2. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

Anyone compare The King to a Menatone PIG?
    Don't know why i'm itching to play The King when I'm already so happy with my PIG.
    Well probably because I love my JCM800 so much and I haven't been able to play it much because of volume and transport issues.

3. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Same as the difference between the amps they emulate.

The YouTube demos do a decent job of bringing out the difference.

The King is a better, more tweakable DLS.

Nobody would confuse the Pig for the DLS :).

4. joeh77

joeh77 Member

I'm at 5 weeks wait today, so getting antsy. Anyway, was on Instagram today and it looks like the $149.00 introductory price on The King ends on 8/16/15. Sounds like goes up on Monday.

Joe

5. MBT74

MBT74 Member

I've now spent some time playing about with this pedal. I'll say this - this is not a "plug in and play, one trick pony" overdrive. That is either a great thing or a bad thing depending on how you like your overdrives. Between the three EQ controls, the two gain controls, the internal switch for "JTM or Plexi" and the internal trimmer you have a huge range of sounds to dial in. It takes time to play with them all and see how they all interact and what settings get the sound you want through your amp. Took me a little while but it was worth it. JustNick's review is pretty spot on and a great example of what this pedal can do.

I've had two WMB's and two KOTB's and now The King. I think Brian has managed to make one pedal that can nicely cover both those pedals. My old 7 knob WMB was more simple for quickly getting that great JTM45 sound but The King gives me a single pedal that gets that sound plus the ability to dial in the KOTB sound if I want.

Sensates likes this.
  6. Dday

Dday Silver Supporting Member

GAS hit again…couldn't resist adding more to my "collection" of Menatones.

7. hipfan

hipfan Member

I'm the proud new owner of The King #65. Wow, what a pedal! This sounds like good, realistic amp gain in front of my Traynor IronHorse. It has a good deal of bark and immediacy. It "feels" like cranked amp gain under the fingers too.

I tried tweaking the internal controls a bit, but I ended up back in the stock position - trim pot set to full mids ('70s) and switch set to "mod". So far, I have the external controls set as follows:

Hi: 11:00
    Mid: 1:00
    Lo: 12:30
    Level: 1:00
    Drive: 12:00
    Gain: 11:30

Can't wait to try this thing with my band tomorrow night. Will report back afterwards.

OverDrivenGtr and ce24fan like this.
  8. Dday

Hey hip fan- are you running your amp completely clean with the King? Just curious, as I've been setting mine just on the edge of break-up. Still waiting on mine to show up.

9. hipfan

hipfan Member

I'm running the amp mostly clean, but pushed a bit. The preamp control on the Traynor goes from basically no gain to mild gain only, so I turn it up just to the point of where it's breaking up and then let pedals do the rest.

10. turtleboy3

turtleboy3 Member

Hi hipfan. Im gassing for this pedal. Looking for a really good miab pedal. But im curious how it compares to other pedals like DLS MKIII, xotic sl drive and lovepedal purple plexi. What other pedala can you compare it to? Thanks

11. ce24fan

ce24fan Member

thanks for the 411, flantrax. at that price point, i'm surprised i haven't seen more of them around.

12. ce24fan

ce24fan Member

Hey VANGIT, i posted a question about this (voyager vs. red snapper) and i see you have one on your board. i'm considering one or the other for tone enhancment and light OD. how you use your Red Snapper?

13. hipfan

hipfan Member

Dunno. I haven't really used any other pedals billed as MIAB before (unless my memory is failing me). I'm finding the character of the dirt to be similar to my Solidgoldfx Zeta so far, but with more crang and clearer tone. Really liked it with the band last night!

turtleboy3 likes this.
  14. Sensates

Sensates Member

Nobody has both the King and King of the Britains/Workingmen Blues to compare?

15. Dday

I have a KOTB 4-knob and STILL waiting for The King to come in. Planning on a side-by-side when it comes in.

16. hipfan

hipfan Member

For anyone interested in how The King sounds in a band context, here's a little clip from my band's rehearsal this past week. I'm on rhythm guitar throughout, including the intro and interlude where you can really hear the guitar mostly isolated. The signal chain is my Washburn 335-style (Dimarzio PAF Master bridge pup) -> The King -> Badgerplex set to unity -> Analogman buffer -> Traynor Iron Horse head (set to 30 watt cathode-bias setting) -> big Mather pine 1x12 oval open-back cab with a Creamback 75. A little delay is on the intro and interlude.

Apologies in advance for the rough take. We're shifting the lead vocal to our new drummer, and this was his first go at it. The recording was done on a little Tascam handheld on a mic stand in the middle of our rehearsal space. I think the King helps the guitar sit in the mix nicely!

The King on China Grove (as covered by King Saturday)

presence and nixpix like this.
  17. oasis02

oasis02 Member

Ordered "The King" yesterday from Lark Guitars in TX. Should have it by the weekend.

I've run Menatone-exclusive OD boards in the past with BFace amps, and found them to be excellent. There a handful of MIAB-makers that do the job convincingly, but across-the-board I really like Menatone. I don't think anyone has come as-close to AC30 tone as the TBIAC, it's remarkable.

I actually bought the King to fill-in some Marshall tones when using a 2554 Jubilee combo. It's got a decent-enough clean channel to be a good platform for this. I think it would be cool to footswitch between Jubilee and JCM800/JTM45 tone, based on how the King is setup internally. For now, I'm using a SUF Halo Bender for JTM45 tone.

For those who have it, how would you rank the Marshall flavors in the King? Are the Modern better/equal/not-as-good as the vintage?

I will post my impressions when I get it.

18. hipfan

hipfan Member

Just a quick follow-up on this. I'm still loving the King through my Traynor amp. It's super-amplike IMO. The dirt is really natural sounding, and it cleans up nicely (like an amp would/should). I'll be using it as my main drive at my band's gig next weekend (Saturday, 12/12) at 27 Live in Evanston, IL. :)

19. auratnik

auratnik Member

The response between the pedal and the fingers is absolutely amazing, I prefer modern settings with humbuckers and vintage with single coils.

20. Charmless

Charmless Silver Supporting Member

Danville, CA. Always looking for Carlsbro amps!
    Bump--anyone get one for Christmas? I've got one on the way :)

turtleboy3 likes this.