Menatone - The King

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by King Rat, May 19, 2015.

1. Broomz

Broomz Member

Just got The King and still trying to figure out all the tonal possibilities and how it differs from KOTB. Interestingly, on the included instructions page it says:

"The King of the Britains has a lot of gain, it may oscillate at higher gain levels."​

I guess we should assume that was a copy/paste error..?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  2. thisisnot4u

thisisnot4u Member

Hello hipfan, you have the Zeta LM308 right? How does it compare gain-wise to The King at max gain?

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

No longer have the LM308 version, and I didn't have it as the same time as The King. I have the regular Zeta on my board now though, which is similar to the LM308 version but with more prominent midrange content. The King has more amp-like krang than either Zeta. It's rougher. It probably has more gain too, but I use both as medium gain boxes. Their different characters make both useful at similar gain levels.

4. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Here's the great extensive demo of the Menatone The King from the BestGuitarEffects.com. I missed it somehow when it was published back in March this year. Showcases all the tweaks and whistles of the device. The King still stays one of the best MIAB pedals around imho. Enjoy!

gkelm, coldwaternights and Broomz like this.
  5. Mathias Minquet

Mathias Minquet Member

I bought the pedal thanks to this forum so I figured I would post a demo about it here :) I've been using it for a few months and I looooooove it!

gkelm, Sensates and Broomz like this.
  6. Broomz

Broomz Member

Wow that is really nice! Could you share your settings? What did you have for the 60's/70's/90's dial and the Vintage/Modern switch?

7. Mathias Minquet

Mathias Minquet Member

Thanks!
    The switch was on modern for the first half and on vintage with the Strat. I believe the EQ was scooped for the intro and then I added mids for all the solos, treble and bass at noon. I know that for the solos I had the drive at noon and the gain and 3 o clock, but I'm not sure for the intro... (I was tweaking all the time). for the 60's/70's/90's dial, to be honest I have a hard time hearing a big difference, but it's also that once I unscrewed the plate, changed the settings, and went back to play, I kind of forgot how it sounded before!! That's why the Studio version of the King must be soooo cool!

Broomz likes this.
  8. coldwaternights

coldwaternights Member

that pedal seriously sounds amazing in the first clip.
    his pedals really sound like amps.
    he's also the original "amp in a box" designer.

9. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

I've just noticed Brian has an original The King overdrive (not a studio version) on sale for just $134. If you ever wanted to buy The King seems this is the right time. Here's the link.

10. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Member

I got my King about a week ago and thought I'd post a review but I found this thread so I guess I'll just bump it.

I was looking for a pedal that could give me that edge of breakup tone at a comfortable home level. I've got pretty bad tinnitus and it's just getting worse, so loud comes at a cost these days. With your average distortion or overdrive pedal I ran into the "needs to be cranked to sound good" problem. Not so with "The King". I'm not talking TV level, but to where it's comfortable for me to play for a long time and still satisfying.

This is my first Menatone so I was not sure what to expect. Man am I stoked - I REALLY like this pedal. I feel like I could write a very detailed review but I don't have the time right now so I'll bullet point it.
    • Price - got it on sale - a gift compared to what you get.
    • I set the internals on "Mod" and "70's"
    • The mid knob! Can give you a sloppy scoop or a tough, tight punch
    • The drive knob! Working in tandem with the mid control you can finesse your tone to taste in great detail
    • I mostly play a G&L Legacy these days, through my Lil' Dawg Wonderdawg - so here are some the tones I've enjoyed so far (it's still new to me)
      • Tight and solid, mid rich, low gain punch and spank (sounds weird now that I read it) - just enough break up to make it fun
      • Raise the gain just a bit and drop the drive a touch and it's a nice tweedy-ish overdrive - I've never been a Vox player so I can't compare, but I was trying for a Bonnie Raitt type of jangle break up and I got it.
      • Push the drive up just past noon and add a bit more gain and it's a Joe Walsh flavored strat through a Marshall
    An amp in a box, yes. But more accurately I'd say 3 or 4 amps in a box.
    I know there is a lot more for me to find in this pedal. I can say that the controls are really sensitive, you can get big changes with just little tweaks. As a mostly home player these days I kind of wish I had ordered the studio version so I could play with the internals as externals.

I've been playing about 45 years and I'm really picky and a bit OCD. I've been on a tone search trying to get a good at home tone and I feel I've found it. Now I have to make myself keep digging into this pedal before I go and order the "Dumbstruck".

My 2 cents - Don