Menatone users: need an advice!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blueprint, Dec 6, 2005.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

What Menatone pedal would match an EL 34 powered amp set clean with single coils guitars?
    I like dynamics and I use my guitar's volume pot a lot...
    Any opinion welcome!

:cool:

2. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

What type of gain are you going for?

The Red Snapper is great for boost and low/med gain sounds. The Blue Collar is a great all around drive. Both the Working Mans Blue, and the King of the Britains are good for med/high gains.

Overall, Menatones are great pedals. I have a couple. Our local shop is always running out of them because they sell faster than Brian can make them!

Hamilton

3. blueprint

blueprint Member

Well, I'm mostly looking at low to mid gain, not high gain at all.
    According to you, Hamilton, the Fish Factory would work for me?

4. Hamilton

Hamilton Active Member

I've never tried a Fish Factory, but since it is a Red Snapper, and Blue Collar in one, it should be very good. Plus you can stack the two together if you want a higher gain sound.

Hamilton

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

My favourite Menatone pedal is the Ms. Foxy Brown...I've had the 3 knob and it was excellent for low-gain...crunch or just pushing an amp over the top...

The 3 knob was a bit bright and I wanted a little more control over the brightness so I have a 4 knob on the way...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. bobotwt

bobotwt Supporting Member

I have a 6-knob kotb that I just haven't gelled with. I love the feel but it is so overly bright. One of the guys on the toyz forum did a mod to his. He put a cap on the volume pot of his tbiac and said it helped alot in making the treble control more usable. I want to try this but I'm not sure about his cap value. He said he used a 4700pF cap. What else do i need to know (such as voltage rating, ceramic or metal film, etc.) when getting a cap for a pedal?

7. stratneck

stratneck Supporting Member

I just got my Kar/Krash , and I played through a Rivera and I super Rev BF, better,with the R on the lead chanel,
    so so w' the BF.
    still experimenting! So far, Ilike the pedal .OH!, My amps, are
    tubed w' 6l6s:rolleyes:
    Hope the help???

8. Rollo Timbre

Rollo Timbre Member

My favorite set up is a EL34 powered 50watt half-stack, set clean, with a strat type guitar. I like to play funky type blues and like pedals which embellish my clean tone. I think Menatones are perfect for this role. I use the new Dirty Blonde a lot for a cleaner rhythm. I set the drive between 12 and 1:00, and it gives my tone a cool sweetening plus a little grind. Some have complained that the pedal is a little mushy, but it reminds me more of the sag you get when cranking an old Fender Showman. I've also been loving the new Kar Krash with this setup. It's a little tighter sounding than the DB, and perfect for a little higher up the gain ladder. This is probably the least pedalistic pedal I've owned. It's very dynamic and amp-like, and is cool to crank and then ride the guitar's volume. When I want to enhance a straight clean tone, I usually go with the Red Snapper. With my strat, I usually have it set pretty clean, but with my Gibson, I like to crank the gain for some creamy overdrive. It doesn't congest with humbuckers like so many overdrive pedals do. I also really dig the Workingman's Blue. I have an older one and I think it's great for that Marshall grind. I've tried the new six knob WMB, and it seems a little more dynamic and can do the clean gains a little better.

9. blueprint

blueprint Member

Thanks all for the replies, it helped me, really...:)

10. Nathan

Nathan Member

I own the Kar Krash and continue to be impressed by it. It's one of the most dynamicsemsitive pedals I have played (the Xotic BB and OCD are way up there too). Anyway, I recommend it. I used it with 6L6 and KT66 in the same amp so I can't say about EL34's. I find this pedal to be maybe the most amplike out of any ss pedal I have heard. So many settings it's a blast. Only my Varidrive sounds more amplike, and even then, there's not that much difference.