• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

MENTOR WANTED!

indica

Hi there!

I'm a singer/songwriter and I could use some help. I'm currently putting finishing touches on my bedroom recorded debut album and I'm looking to network from scratch, a crap shot in the dark I know, but still, trying to overcome my own social incompetence with the help of others, become a better musician, a better person and get my work heard on radio, tv, pitch a song to another artist to perform, land one of my songs in a movie/tv/commercial, any progress is fine with me.

I don't have to "make it big", I just want to improve myself and my music and I'm asking for direction and advice.

My style is rather mellow and deep but accessable, male vocals/guitar stuff, handmade, authentic, rough and rather throwback, nice enough for lovers, loners, movies, tv shows or night radio, not of the generic or laid back Jack Johnson type. I don't have anything on the internet right now and I don't like to spill the a-material beans either, butin case you are intrested I have plenty of b-material to display what I do.

If you'd like to share your experience to support a new artist with advice contact me or post it right here. Thanks in advance!

loudboy

First, why would you lead with your worst stuff?

If it's copyrighted, and it should be, get it out there, but only when it's good enough to release w/o making any excuses about.

I would always try to impress on my recording clients to never put up anything other than a final, mastered mix.

You only get one chance to make a first impression, so you need to make it count. Good is not really good enough, it's got to be better than that, as the S/N ratio today is off the scale.

Take a day or so and immerse yourself in listening to people doing similar stuff. Is yours as good, in writing/performance/production?

If not, figure out why and fix it. These are the people that you're competing with, and you need to be better and work harder than them.

Good luck.

Rex Anderson

get my work heard on radio, tv, pitch a song to another artist to perform, land one of my songs in a movie/tv/commercial
If you achieve any of these goals, you are on the way to "making it big". Put it all on youtube and get a million hits. Someone will find you.

Like loudboy said, better put out your best stuff. Funny thing is though, who knows what's "best"? A lot of hits almost got cut from the album, ended up on the cutting room floor etc. Even veteran "hit producers" are surprised sometimes by the popularity of a song. "We put it on the "B" side and it sold a million records"....

You just gotta throw it at the wall and see what sticks.

Do your best work to make the recording and production quality top notch. Make each song the best you can do and see if anyone likes any of them.

indica

Take a day or so and immerse yourself in listening to people doing similar stuff. Is yours as good, in writing/performance/production?

If not, figure out why and fix it. These are the people that you're competing with, and you need to be better and work harder than them.
I don't think there is competition when you're an artist doing your own thing your own way. I don't have to be better than anyone, I just have to be myself.

loudboy

I don't think there is competition when you're an artist doing your own thing your own way. I don't have to be better than anyone, I just have to be myself.
I highly doubt that you're doing something that's completely different than anything anyone has ever heard. If you are, congrats, but the rules still apply.

When people hear your music, who do they say it reminds them of?

There's nothing wrong with working in a specific genre - 99.9% of musicians do.

No matter what you do, you have to work your ass off to put out the best music you can possibly make.

Many of the people that are trying to get the same airplay/synch placements/publishing deals as you are doing it already, and chances are they're working harder and are better than you.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it's the truth.

You need to have a thick skin, 1000% commitment in yourself and the work ethic of a Russian peasant woman.

Search for posts by Splatt - he's a fountain of info, and a guy who's doing exactly what you want to do.

Best of luck...

indica

Put it all on youtube and get a million hits. Someone will find you.
I don't want to be found by someone or just anyone. I want to be found by the right one. I will not put my best songs on YouTube because I didn't write them for a pat on the shoulder. I'm looking for the right way to make a first impression and put my work in the right context, not to repeat the same mistakes people have been making for the past ten years or so. That means no YouTube and no open mics or any of that ego and attention crap. I've heard it all when it comes to that first you gotta do this before you can do that but who made these rules and how come anyone who ever made it didn't play by them? I'm ready to challenge and lift others higher, but I feel I need a mentor, whatever, to direct the energy and attention onto the right path, whatever, you name it. Where do you find those people if you don't want to sit and wait for them to find you?

RocksOff

Allow yourself to be mentored remotely. Study your favorite artists. Read every interview and book about them that you can find. It's all in there.
Plus, don't feel like you're so important that the mountain must come to you. You must go to the mountain.

loudboy

I don't want to be found by someone or just anyone. I want to be found by the right one. I will not put my best songs on YouTube because I didn't write them for a pat on the shoulder. I'm looking for the right way to make a first impression and put my work in the right context, not to repeat the same mistakes people have been making for the past ten years or so. That means no YouTube and no open mics or any of that ego and attention crap. I've heard it all when it comes to that first you gotta do this before you can do that but who made these rules and how come anyone who ever made it didn't play by them? I'm ready to challenge and lift others higher, but I feel I need a mentor, whatever, to direct the energy and attention onto the right path, whatever, you name it. Where do you find those people if you don't want to sit and wait for them to find you?
If you're anti-internet and public performance, you could look up their names on the back of CDs and write them a letter?

Worked for Tommy Emmanuel...

Rex Anderson

You have to shop your music to people who market and sell it. How do country artists get discovered? Hip hop artists? Rock bands? Who hires people to write music for film scores, TV shows etc?

They are all in big cities-LA, New York, Nashville. You are one of a many folks trying to make a living selling music.

What kind of music are you writing? Is there a genre, or are you a composer who can write any kind of music, what ever is called for? Do you read and write music?

If you are a great composer and gifted musician, go to where you want to work and start knocking on doors. Find an agent who will represent you and get your product to the people who buy it.

You have to figure out what you want to do and go to where it is happening. There are only so many major music markets in the country. Big cities. Ad agencies in Chicago, recording studios in LA, NY and Nashville, film and TV scoring stages in NY and LA. What are you trying to sell? What is your music for? Hit pop songs?

Did you watch the Grammys last night? Do you care about any of that?

I'm really trying to help you, but I need more info. I worked as an audio professional (recording and live sound) for over 40 years and worked with a lot of great musicians and composers. Some have very successful careers, many make a good living, some just get by, some just do it as a hobby and have day jobs.

Most people who got discovered shopped their product to the market they were trying to enter. In the old days, you went to record label executives and A&R (artists and repertoire) guys to try to get a "record deal".

I haven't heard any stories of anyone who made a bedroom album getting lucky on the first try-who got found by the right guy the first time out.

Tom Scholz of Boston (pretty good first album) shopped it around for quite a while and got rejected a lot. Like for 5 years.

"Boston is the debut studio album by Boston-based American rock band Boston. Produced by Tom Scholz and John Boylan, the album was released on August 25, 1976 in the United States by Epic Records. Scholz had first begun playing music in the late 1960s after graduating from MIT with a master's degree, which led to a senior position at Polaroid. After being involved in the Boston music scene for several years, Scholz concentrated on demos recorded in his apartment basement with singer Brad Delp. His previous group, Mother's Milk, had received numerous rejection letters from major record labels in the early 1970s. By 1975, the demo tape had fallen into the hands of CBS-owned Epic Records, who signed the band."

If you want help from folks here on TGP, I suggest you post a clip, even if it's your "B" stuff.

http://www.skyelab.com/articles-advice/how-do-i-get-a-record-deal

https://www.google.com/search?q=how...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom