Mercuriall Spark Plugin

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Stev0Griffin, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Elric

Elric Member

Okay, I get what you are saying. Thanks for clarifying.

I never used the 1010 but figured it would be straightforward, looks like that is related to the custom ROM and customizing the floorboard's settings. So I can see how that could lead to some serious frustration if it was not working.

2. PRSAtomic

PRSAtomic Supporting Member

This application let me know what CC's and PC's were making it to my system. It is a good trouble shooting tool.

https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

3. Brandon7s

Brandon7s Member

No, I have the full version of both Spark and U530. The demo acted the same way though. Weirdly enough I've not run into any bugs at all with Spark. Didn't realize other people had been having those issues with it as well.

4. Steinmetzify

Steinmetzify Member

This happened to me when I first got the U530...it would cut out if I changed from the Lead channel to cleans...recently switched computers and reloaded everything onto the new one, no issues with the U anymore.

You've more than likely already deleted and reinstalled it but if you haven't, give it a shot. It's stable as anything else on my new PC...using Reaper too.

5. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Just now saw the OP, surprised to see that more people haven’t chimed in. Spark is indeed the real deal, no hype. For Marshall sounds there is no better plugin, native or accelerated.

For those researching, I wanted to mention a tweaky thing that’s important - I found Spark to be very sensitive to the input gain on my interface, much more so than my other amp sim plugs. I unwittingly knocked my interface gain knob down about 20% once and couldn’t figure out why Spark sounded so tinny as to be unusable. I checked S-Gear and Amplitube and they both sounded normal, so I was really perplexed.

I eventually figured it out, and in fact once I did, I cranked the interface gain up even more than usual and Spark sounded even better. It really likes a robust input signal. You have plenty of flexibility with the plugin master input gain plus the amp gain controls, so you can still get clean sounds if you want. Spark has no input gain meter, but it doesn’t matter. Much like a real Marshall, let your ears not eyes be the judge and turn up everything until it sounds good!

6. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

I'm loving it too, definitely agree about setting the input gain correctly too. The Plexi and #34 modes are wicked.

7. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

I should also add that the internal cab section gets a B+. It sounds fine, certainly professional, but it doesn’t quite beat the best stuff available from the usual suspects like Ownhammer, Rosen, Redwirez, etc.

8. Leon Todd

Leon Todd Member

Being able to load your preferred third party IR's into this would be a big bonus.

cwlivingston likes this.
  9. Keg8605

Keg8605 Member

I picked up Spark after catching Pete's demo and man its been fun to play. I use Synergy and an axe fx and what's been nice about having this good plug in is its become my practice rig. Just plug in and go. First plug-in type I've enjoyed playing.

10. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

I have most plugins out there besides the Neural DSP stuff (soon thought...). My favourite by far is the Mercuriall Spark. I use Marshall type of tones 99% of the time, so it was an obvious choice for me.

The amp sims are great, the knob tweaking responds like it should, it's quite dynamic on the player's hands and the stompboxes that come with it are all very well made.

For convenience I use the built in cabs, even though I have an OwnHammer and Celestion library. Decent cab sims, but an IR loader would be ideal for my liking.

Reverbs and delay are quite usable as well, not on par with Valhalla stuff or Eventide, but definitely ok for practice and quick recordings.

I'm beyond satisfied with this plugin, it has kept me from buying a hardware unit for months. People who haven't checked it out yet, please do, it's THE Marshall plugin.

chameleon101663 and mertay like this.
  11. 1967SG

1967SG Member

If you can stand a noob question with VST"s. I really liked this and your Reaxis/Boogie vids. I may buy my son's year old gaming laptop. My current one lacks a bit. Do I need to have a daw to use this product? Just looking to play and not really interested in making recordings. I am thinking it won't operate as a standalone application without a daw platform?

12. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

Unfortunately Mercuriall products aren't released in standalone versions. You will need a DAW to use them.

1967SG likes this.
  13. 1967SG

1967SG Member

?
    Thanks. Is there such a thing as a standalone product. S-gear? Amplitude? I can probably find a cheap/free one I guess. Not needing pro tools I hope.:D:D:D

14. BillTrantos

BillTrantos Member

I don't know what kind of music is your thing, but Neural DSP has 3 amazing plugin suites that include standalone versions.

1967SG likes this.
  15. 1967SG

1967SG Member

From bluesy to metal and all points in between. Thanks - I will check that out.

16. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

You could use a simple VST host like savihost (free). Basically turns a VST plugin into a standalone.

BillTrantos likes this.
  17. cwlivingston

cwlivingston Member

Anyone had any luck eliminating the clicking and popping? It seems to be a processing hog at 64 samples on USB.

18. primemover12

primemover12 Member

It's definitely processing intensive. No real issues on my Core i7-2600k; but no chance on my MacBook Pro. Have to run it at 256 or even 512 samples to get it to run smoothly. Meanwhile, I run a dual amp rig in ReValver 4 with 64 samples with no problems.

19. mertay

mertay Member

this plug-in runs on 2 near 10 year old machines I know of. Try mono mode.