Mercuriall's new Bogner XTC Plugin

primemover12

After putting out a killer Marshall modeler, Mercuriall is coming after my wallet again with a Bogner XTC 101B clone. And they got Pete to do a killer demo that only amplified (pun!) my desire to have it. So, the question is: save your money for the forthcoming apocalyptic economic depression; or throw it at yet another tantalizing piece of gear?

greatmutah

Download the demo version. Won’t hurt to try. It’s pretty neat but I haven’t had time to dig into it yet. I’m playing around with the demo. So far I like it but it’s not as super essential to me as U530, ReAxis and Spark are. Still awesome though and props to Mercuriall for yet again making such a full featured amp sim.

Tried out the demo, and absolutely love it. When it comes to modeling, I don’t know what Mercuriall’s secret sauce is...but the realism and playability of their plug-ins is consistently excellent. I absolutely love the Spark and U530 too. I’m always blown away by how good their products are and how they stand up to the best plug-ins and hardware modelers out there.

Mango Positive

Gold Supporting Member
Tried out the demo, and absolutely love it. When it comes to modeling, I don’t know what Mercuriall’s secret sauce is...but the realism and playability of their plug-ins is consistently excellent. I absolutely love the Spark and U530 too. I’m always blown away by how good their products are and how they stand up to the best plug-ins and hardware modelers out there.
Don't sleep on the SS-11X either!

greatmutah

I definitely do not have an issue with their modeling at all! Even their freebies are awesome. I grabbed their MetalZone pedal and use it as a boost occasionally in front of U530. And it works like a Metal Zone set to clean boost should!

luckymethod

After putting out a killer Marshall modeler, Mercuriall is coming after my wallet again with a Bogner XTC 101B clone. And they got Pete to do a killer demo that only amplified (pun!) my desire to have it. So, the question is: save your money for the forthcoming apocalyptic economic depression; or throw it at yet another tantalizing piece of gear?

I don't recommend buying from them. They have a nasty but in the midi implementation of the Triaxis that makes that plugin impossible to automate at least with Ableton and have not release a fix for it in months after aknowledging the issue, and denied a refund.

You're better off with someone else's products.

kyolic

I tried the demo and all I can say is WOW! :eeks

Try it with some decent IR's (default cabs kind of sucks) and you won't believe your ears.

Billinder33

I'm sure this is killer. I don't use plugins anymore except for occasionally scratch track, but ReAxis is my goto for that.

I'm guessing this Bogner is off the hook. Great company, great products.

Barmaleus

I don't recommend buying from them. They have a nasty but in the midi implementation of the Triaxis that makes that plugin impossible to automate at least with Ableton and have not release a fix for it in months after aknowledging the issue, and denied a refund.

Hi!

I am Slava, representing Mercuriall on this forum (I work with partners/artists/public/marketing).

Sorry to hear about the issues and no clear solution to the problem =(
I don't know exactly what discussion you had with our support, but here is what I can say in the grand scheme of things.

We are a very small team. If a new product development starts, it's highly unlikely that an old one will get updates during this period (we simply have no one who could deal with it in parallel). As we continued to release new products, older ones sat in the shadow and did not get much attention. Which sucks and should not be the case.

With Euphoria we set an intention to unify our offerings, moving all existing plugins under one hood. I.e. eventually we want to have one plugin that we can regularly update and all customers will take advantage of those updates (will not matter which amp you purchased). This way, we can spend time on things people ask for and not spread time on updating all the separate plugins.

One platform is our future vision and we'll do our best to make this happen.

I know my explanation does not fix your issue, but at least it gives some more insight why existing plugins are not getting all the love they deserve.

frthib

you have found the perfect recipe for ampsims.. its incredible that its been found by a small team! great work guys! the unified plugin is such a good news.. will we be able to create weird amp such as a afd#34 with a bogner Power amp ? who knows.. exciting times - for ampsim.
stay healthy all

edit : ive listened to scythe studio review, i think he's right about cabs.. they are made by redwirez, why not add more mics or cabs to the one available? they have very desirable cabs and mics.. mesa os, engl, marshall basketweave, and tons of mics

Last edited:

JunkGear

Silver Supporting Member
I like it:)
I’ve always felt that plug-ins that model Bogner amps never really capture the true sound and that squishy yet tight Bogner feel, but this one gets there.
Nice job Mercurialll.

Jarick

Silver Supporting Member
Man I kind of wish Pete Thorn would find a kick ass singer and start a rock band. He makes some great demo tunes but would love a full on album (with vocals).

primemover12

I found a non-lethal bug in Spark too (the UI on gold-knob models creates a significant lag in certain MacBook Pros). They were friendly when I reported the bug, but months and months later, there's been no fix. I guess the answer is that they just don't have enough people to fix up old stuff and pump out new stuff. Fortunately, the bug in Spark isn't crucial, since I can disable the UI and it's sounds killer.

That said, I think Spark is basically the only thing that sounds as good as my Axe-FX for Marshall tones, and it does it at 5% of the price.

luckymethod

We are a very small team. If a new product development starts, it's highly unlikely that an old one will get updates during this period (we simply have no one who could deal with it in parallel). As we continued to release new products, older ones sat in the shadow and did not get much attention. Which sucks and should not be the case.
As a fellow tech worker I get it, but as a consumer I can't recommend a product that I KNOW will be abandoned right away.

FYI the issue with Reaxis is that the program change (I think, don't quote me on that, been a while) that changes the preset doesn't actually "activate" the preset. Let's say I'm on preset #1, I send a midi event to change to preset #2, the name of the preset in the UI of the plugin changes but the sound doesn't. If I change things by hand, it does work.

My gut feeling tells me it wouldn't be a particularly burdensome issue to fix.

Tito83

Just tried the Euphoria and I'm floored. Sounds great and feels just as good to play.

If Mercuriall releases a Two Rock model I'd start to consider gigging with my laptop. Damn.

Trending Topics