Mercury output transformers/choke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by lennon08, Mar 24, 2008.

1. lennon08

lennon08 Member

OK, so I am thinking about putting in the Mercury OT/choke kit in my Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 602.

Has anyone tried this here? Does it really make that much difference? It looks like it should run me a little over $300 for the upgrade. I really like the amp but like anything else it always be improved.

2. mach5

mach5 Member

I guess Marshall 2000's are taboo at this site, I posted a similar thread without a single reply. :puh

3. lennon08

lennon08 Member

You may be right. I really love my amp. I felt I had to redeem my myself so I bought a Dr Z mini head. I had it for a month and realized it wasn't for me. I did by a Mesa F-50 head and I am very pleased.

I emailed Jeff at Andrews Amp Lab (I really trust him) about it and he feels it really helps clean up the tone. It should have a much defined tone when he is done.

What model do you have? Maybe we should start a JCM 2000 site?

4. AL30

AL30 Member

I don't know much about them but from what I've seen the transformers look very wimpy. That doesn't mean they are but they were much smaller than my JMP or any JCM 800 I've seen.

Based on that alone (which isn't much) I would thing any swap with a decent transformer would probably make a difference. Make sure you check out some other companies as well. Heyboer comes to mind.

AL

5. lennon08

lennon08 Member

I will check them out, thanks!

6. justonwo

justonwo Member

I think it's more a matter of finding people that have actually done the swap so they can tell you first-hand how much difference it makes.

I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence saying that replacing the stock Marshall transformers with Mercury (or Heyboer) results in a major improvement. But I haven't done it myself so I can only pass along second-hand information.

7. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Which trafo is that exactly?
    I have never seen a single "wimpy" iron from MM and would like to if you can provide some pics or numbers.
    I use them in Fender style amps and none of them are smaller then stock originals...

8. coreybox

coreybox Member

I'm pretty sure he is referring to the stock marshall iron.

9. justonwo

justonwo Member

I think he's talking about the JCM2000 transformers being smaller, not the MM.

10. Nigel11

Nigel11 Member

11. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

I used to have a 1987xl with all Mercury upgrades and NOS tubes ---huge difference! Go for it!

12. lennon08

lennon08 Member

That is good enough for me! I am going to drop it off at Andrews Amp Lab this week.

Thanks for all of the advice!

13. quinnamps

quinnamps Member

Ah that makes sense. My bad.

14. mach5

mach5 Member

Anyway, I have a DSL 50 and I too was thinking about upgrading it. Some say it's worth it, some don't and put the money towards another amp. Maybe they're thinking it doesn't increase the resell value much so save my money.

I was seriously thinking of trading for another amp or upgrade this one. Tough decision. I'm not even sure who to take it too for the upgrade.

15. AL30

AL30 Member

Yes, I was talking about the newer Marshall transformers. Again, I'm going on site alone. But those things are tiny in comparison to the older Marshalls. That's a poor way to judge things but seeing something like that makes me nervous. The MM's and Heyboers (and others) I have seen are pretty beefy.

AL

16. mach5

mach5 Member

17. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I have done the choke mods and thought it was a very low return on my time...I could not tell much if any difference at all.

18. lennon08

lennon08 Member

I sure hope have the MM OT/Choke makes a difference. It is going to run me roughly $270. I wouldn't mind but my Mesa needs to go in the shop. The MM mod was for fun, the Mesa is out of real issues!

Argh!

19. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Im no builder but I know Tom is using MM's in the Deering amps. I wonder if thats the difference in how beefy it is compared to my 900 series?

I got a new amp coming from Tom and I know he's using the MM's in it.

20. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

IMO. Don't do it. Try selling your TSL on Craigslist or one of the other forums. Use that money and the MM upgrade money, and by a better amp/fix the Mesa. In the long run you will be much, much happier.
    Good Luck
    :cool: