Mercury Retube Results

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by majorledhead, Jan 2, 2008.

1. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I just retubed my Carr Mercury with some pleasing results. I thought my speaker was farting out on the low end so I plugged it into a couple of other 8 ohm cabinets I have and the problem was still there. I've been stocking up on some NOS tube goodies the past year, so I pulled the box out of the drawer and started digging. Ended up swapping out (2) GT 12X7's, a GT12AT7, and a JJ EL34 with some dusty antiques that just kick ass. After 3 hours of swapping in and out, the final line up is : 50's RCA blackplate 12AX7 , JAN Phillips 12AT7, Brimar 12AX7, and a Amperex EL 34 Holland made w/ double D getters. The farty bass is gone and has been replaced with a round, crisp, 3d tone. Cranking the clean setting with the renewed reverb dimed made the 007 theme sound like a remastered DVD through surround sound. The overdrive setting really got warmer and smoother, yielded some great "texas flood" type tones and seemed more responsive with way less mud. On the highest gain setting I was in that "controlled feedback" zone, ripping through some Trower like leads, working the Wah and being driven into new sonic territory that just wasn't there a few hours before. Bottom line, the NOS tubes do have that mojo tone we all strive for. It took some time, objective listening,and money, but in the end, its a cool way to spend a day off.

2. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

I just got one and that's my next plan. It sounds good w/ the cheap tubes so I can't wait to put some good old ones in.

3. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I'm really liking a 6L6 in mine...and it's just a GT

4. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I always "tube" my amps when I get a new one. One at a time like you did. Its absolutely a must thing to do when you get any new amp.

IMO

YMMV
    and all that...

5. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

Does it matter where you set the bias pot when you change to a 6L6 or KT66 , from the stock EL-34 ?? Or is it just to dial in the tightness of the sound ?

6. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

the manual recommends voltages for the various tubes. I've been using those with good results on several different tubes.

7. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I have noticed the ,"touch " of NOS tubes in every amp I have owned. I owned a Merc for awhile. When I got it used, quite frankly, I got really bummed out at how lackluster it sounded. It was an 03, with all orignal tubes,cept one. I switched the, KT-66 for an EL-84,brand new. Things improved. I had tested the preamp section and the tubes were fine. Then in went the Mullard 12ax7 and some GE & or RCA's. Thats when, I felt comforatble about the dollar amount I had spent.
    Tired and well used new style tubes must sound really crappy compared to brand new,new style tubes, obviously . Used NOS tubes still have a lovely flavor to them, better that most new modern tubes. And with the failure rate of new tubes, probably a decent percentage of tube amp owners have tubes sounding bad enough for the owner to loose enthusiasm of their pride n joy.