Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

That was just outstanding. Nobody even comes close to that anymore. That was so in the pocket - I was dusting lint off the speakers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. a_d_a_m

a_d_a_m Member

Ask Carmen Appice about that. Dude hasn't changed a bit in terms of playing, and still hasn't aged much!

3. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Member

eddie for me is still the king. you can see the natural born talent there and personality, not some product of a technical guitar schooling

4. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

:facepalm This crap again?

Here are some other tunes that were written before the 1st VH record came out, but were released on later VH records:

Loss of Control.
    Mean Street.
    Hang 'em High.
    House of Pain.
    Fools.
    Somebody get me a Doctor.

So are those tunes just 'rehashed' as well?

Here's Wolfgang Van Halen talking about the song choices: "On A Different Kind Of Truth: “Every time I would go into the back room of the studio, I’d see walls of tapes with music that nobody’s really heard. I thought, people need to hear this, because dad wrote this music in the same headspace as songs like dance the night away and running with the devil. I wanted to take some ideas out and rework them. I think it was August 2009 and we did the first demo of “She’s the Woman.” When we did that, we realized this was really cool. From there, we wrote seven new songs, and reworked seven or so old demos. Reflecting on the simplicity of the older songs put us in that headspace to incorporate that into the newer songs. Dad tends to write a lot of complicated things nowadays, so I feel it brought him back to that time when he wrote those older songs. That’s why I think the record sound so “old”—in a good way.”

Read more: http://www.vhnd.com/wolfgang-van-halen/#ixzz3W8TtmMDh

5. Defendant

Defendant Member

Sammy is a better technical singer with more range, but he's ...Sammy. And I've never liked the tone of his voice.

A good solution would be a new singer with Dave's overall early album tone but with more range and discipline. Dave could still write the lyrics and advise on between song patter.

The ideal solution would be Dave not pushing his voice and singing in time.

6. paulscape

paulscape Member

Van Halen are my hero's but watching them play the same songs over and over again is getting boring and to be honest embarrassing because it reveals their lack of creativity. It re-enforces them for what they were and in many ways always will be - an amazing cover band. I can't listen to Ed play eruption live anymore...seriously how does he keep doing it for so long without even a minor update or new riffage?

Imagine if Jan Van Halen had immigrated to the UK instead...

Wolfie could be bringing so much innovation to the table...Roth could be singing hyper BBQ techno modernity or antique low down relaxed blues and Ed could quit the nicogain and jam around with the 1st and 2nd channels of his signature amps... but...

Sammy who?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Eh, personal opinion, but I have no interest in seeing Sammy back with VH.

8. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

Agreed. Van Halen, for better or worse, is David Lee Roth. The product was just too good and can't be undone. They're not the only band to have gone through this (Black Sabbath!!)

9. snouter

snouter Member

EVH is of course a legendary musician. The rest is just nostalgia really. Sammy and Micheal Anthony perfectly fit into a superior band, Chickenfoot. Can't imagine Alex and Dave doing the same.

10. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

It's all good Johnny. The "rehashed old material" comment was tongue-in-cheek. Kinda a running gag between a few of us guys here.

11. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I think a lot of drummers were more interesting than Bonham, Al being one of them. :) Yeah, Eddie and Al are like on some kind of freaky timing wave length, they just know where they are and where they are going. :drink

12. Kevcleat

Kevcleat Member

Dave must still own the PA!

13. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

That's how I felt in 1985.

14. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Ha!

15. mikebat

mikebat Member

/thread

yes DLR has always sucked live, but it is part of the formula. But Hagar....not even for one screeching, out of tune, flip flopping second.

16. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Agreed, and the Kimmel show made up my mind that I won't go see them at Red Rocks when they come this summer.

But I have no interest in seeing Van Hagar.

Nor do I have any interest in seeing them with a new singer. Tried that with Gary Cherone, who is a fantastic singer, and it sucked.

Therefore it's best that, in the words of Mike Tyson, they fade off into Bolivian. Whenever I go see my 80's rock idols live now, I come away wishing they would have stayed in the 80's. I'll pass.

17. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

18. Ben R

Ben R Member

Along with a reunion with Sammy would come all of those Van Hagar songs. You'd never again hear Mean Streets, Hot for Teacher, Unchained, Beautiful Girls, Ice Cream Man, etc. You'd replace those with When it's Love, Love Walks in, Why Can't this be Love, Dreams, and Right Now with pre-recorded keyboards and Ed barely playing guitar over it live. No thanks.

19. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Like Ozzy, DLR is a great Front man and a good studio singer. Neither have been anything close to "good singers" live for decades and actually tbh neither have ever been consistently good live.

I've seen Sammy live 4 times from the early 80's to mid 2000's and every time he's been on pitch and a great front guy and a decent enough guitar player.

I'm not saying I'd like to see Van Hagar again but I could sit through it much easier than what's transpiring for VH live these days. I cannot stand a singer that goes way off pitch constantly. I've walked out of concerts that I paid good money for because it grates on my nerves so bad it will ruin my day.

Everybody has their pet peeves and mine is off pitch singing. I've no scruples calling a spade a spade. DLR can't do VH songs any more. If I were a betting man the nose thing on Kimmel was intentional because he knew he was going to suck live in front of millions of viewers.

20. cram

cram Member

howabout let the band do and play what they want? Go see/listen to them if you like... otherwise pick and choose between the infinite amount of great music to enjoy! It's like a win win situation with less stress. pretty cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.