Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

2. dc_jcm800

dc_jcm800 Silver Supporting Member

This is a good point. Ozzy's solo band live voice is processed and processed again.

I think if VH tuned down another whole step or processed the hell out of DLR's voice it really would not work.

3. hansgruber

hansgruber Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

4. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

yuck. ugh. uhhh, no thanks.

5. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

The Ellen performance started to remind me of the MTV awards...

Ed was looking nervous when DLR was talking to Ellen and then Dave was acting pretty strange (what was that spin around and grab his cheeks thing??). Wolfie is even starting to look uncomfortable. I'll take the odds this comes off the rails again.

6. badhorsie551

badhorsie551 Member

Here's the thing if Sammy came back to the band.

You would hear two or three dlr era van halen tracks tops because he won't sing more than ain't talkin bout love, panama, or jump.

We'd have to suffer through at least two Sammy solo songs during every concert. That by far is the worst part about going to a Sammy fronted van halen.

7. Hammered

The odds are against you but if it happens you can say I told you so

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

I didn't even think about that, but you've nailed it. That's the #1 reason why this would be a bad idea.

9. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

Good Gawd...that was horrible.

DLR - looks like a business man, what's with the suit & vest?
    Wolfie - Dad's not playing a guitar w/ stripes anymore, why do you?
    EVH - your solo didn't match the recorded one, way too much gain, what's with the goatee?

Did I miss anything? :stir

More drivel....the nerve, bringing a Production Assistant up on stage to dance...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  10. melondaoust

melondaoust Member

I got into VH during the Hagar era, so that material is some of my favourite.
    Got into the Roth-era records after that.

Understand that VH fans love Roth but oh my god... If there was ever a cause to need lip syncing in a show. Roth can still bring the show though.

How's this for a twist? Bring back Michael Anthony to replace Roth/Hagar (at least Anthony's pipes are in better shape than Roth's)

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It certainly seems to be a fanboi thing, like Allman Brothers fans wanting Dickie Betts back in the band (prior to their retirement)...they can't do the job anymore, but the fans still want to see them on the stage.

12. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

Eddie plays different with each singer... Fun and loose with DLR, tight and focused with Sammy, and strange with Gary. I prefer the DLR stuff....

13. Hammered

I`ll admit it I`m a fanboi , sure I know Roth is a goof and his singing is a little off LOL but I`ll purchasing my tickets ASAP to see them this summer

14. Hammered

Ah that production assistant :drool

15. straycat113

straycat113 Member

No flames as I totally agree! Dave never had a strong voice when he was young but being such a great front man made up for it. And the Dave era was harder and darker but VanHalen was always a party band. I enjoyed the Hagar years as much as the Roth and 4 straight #1 studio albums showed the public wasn't minding. But a few months shy of 68 Sammy makes Dave look like a guy pulled up out of the audience to sing a few lines. I don't care how much bad blood is between everyone= a ton of scratch will put everything on the backburner. Hell! Let them both sing and split the show as Ed and the band are in top form and smoking and I can't see Dave's voice holding up for a quarter of the tour.

16. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I prefer DLR VH any day of the week.
    That last effort of theirs ADKOT, killin' as well.

Hagar has always been too poppy to me with Ed.
    He can sing great (and that 1st Montrose record, killin'), and play guitar...but other than
    For Unlawful... (also a fave disc of mine), I pass on the rest of
    Van Hagar.

My .02,

S.
    j

17. Ben R

Ben R Member

Here's an example of what Dave brings to the band aside from his singing. Sammy Hagar could never pull off the stuff that Dave does in the middle and end of the song with the production assistant and the crowd:

http://ellentube.com/videos/0_bwwrprdd

18. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Gotta agree after watching Kimmel....

19. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

THIS for me.
    The guy "sings" as if the whole thing is just a big joke to him, but this seems to be his schtick for the past 30+ years, right?

Oddly enough, I was watching YT videos of the DLR Band (w/ Vai, Sheehan, etc...) and he actually sang really, REALLY well, so I know the guy is capable...and maybe that's what is even more angering; the fact that he can sing these songs decent enough, but won't.

20. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

So I need to tell you all something hilarious.....my wife is from El Salvador; she didn't even arrive in to the US until after Fair Warning and grew up in a very insulated Latin culture......

Last night, I turn on the TV as I had DVR'd the Kimmel show; I fast forward to the VH portion (having already watched many of the YT clips posted here) and I say to her. "honey, this is huge, one of the greatest guitarists in history right here" she says "who is this?" (I had already said Van Halen about 10 times prior to her asking)....I say "this is Van Halen, that is Eddie Van Halen!" and she replies "who is Eddie Van Halen?"

I fell down.

I got back up and tried to find an analogy, so I say "That is like me saying who is Julio Iglesias?" and she said "I grew up on Ricky Martin before Ricky Martin was g**!"

Yes I live in a cross-cultural home!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.