Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

^^^^
    This is why TGP sucks.
    It reads like an audition "Fashion Police", not a post on a music gear forum.
    :facepalm

That Ellen clip was the best clip of VH I've seen yet.
    Dave sounds great and played to the crowd which is exactly what a front man should do. Plus I'm sure more than a few seats in the crowd were moist.
    The band look good and are all smiling.
    Al dropped the beat a couple of times but it wasn't too noticeable.
    Yeah, Ed's tone is processed. So what? He's EVH.
    At this point it's great to see them playing and having fun.

2. donnievaz

donnievaz Member

That (very hot) "production assistant" looks exactly like the "random" girl he pulled out of the crowd on Kimmel...

3. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

It's probably comforting to be such a fanboi of anything to the extent that it doesn't matter at all what they do, look or sound like.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  4. ak301

ak301 Member

And Wolfie's been err Wolfing down some pies by the look of it

5. m4dm4x

m4dm4x Supporting Member

You are dead on, I enjoyed that clip and think that they are really enjoying themselves and so am I!!

6. drod1985

drod1985 Member

I'm a fanboy, but there's no denying Dave's the weak link here. And anybody who thinks the 3 VH boys aren't delivering the goods is in denial. Ed is on fire, Wolf has some cool bass lines and decent BGVs, and Alex is solid as always. Dave just needs to get his vocals under control, and then the rest of his shtick is fully excusable.

Ed was on the brink of death from 2004-2006. Now he's happy, healthy, and playing at near 1995 levels of awesomeness. What more could you ask of him?

7. 67blackcherry

67blackcherry Supporting Member

If you go back a page or two, you'll see me ripping on people for posting drivel such as that. It was all tongue in cheek, my friend.
    LOVE LOVE LOVE the band, Wolfie, Ed's tone, and DLR in general. They're back together and kicking ass, ADKOT is brilliant, saw them twice in 2012, and so happy Ed is sober and playing his ass off.
    If I want to hear stellar vocals, I listen to Freddie Mercury or Robert Plant or Steven Tyler.

8. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

Do you think it could be the same girl :confused: haha man she looked good in those black stretch pants

9. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

10. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    How about if the VH boys write a Rap album and have Dave just talk through it? :idea

That could work :red

11. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

I'd say it's the same girl.

12. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I don't know. People (us) need to get used to the idea that these rockers' abilities are going to fade in one way or another at this stage in the game and just enjoy what we have before they, literally, are in wheel chairs and fully retired from public life. Some hold on to it longer than others (Dio). But voices and bodies are going to start slowing down at 'some' point. Once you get to your late 50's, all you can do is try. These bands are built on the high energy of youth. It's silly to think they'll remain as effective in their social security years.

Having said that... yeah, he could've at least sung on time.

13. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

I just watched the clip of Jump from Ellen and thought they sounded pretty great. If EVH himself is bothered by what DLR is doing, he is doing a pretty good job of concealing it. His smiles looked pretty genuine to me.

14. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I like Sammy, and I agree with this. I know that Sammy has always been the better singer of the two, but DLR is just a better frontman for that band. Now if he would just quit singing so high and straining his voice, rather than just singing in the same lower register he did when they originally recorded the songs (oh, and stop acting like a 3 ring circus entertainer meets jazzercise instructor), then they'd be fine.

I would like to hear more of the last album's tunes live though, and not so much of the older stuff. I do realize that the older stuff is what most folks want to hear, but maybe just throw in a few more songs from the current era.

15. micycle

micycle Member

He's also wolfing down a lot more money than you or I ever will.. and his dad is Eddie Van Halen.

So with all of the recent VH talk going on TGP I have come to these conclusions:

1. David Lee Roth is awesome
    2. David Lee Roth is not awesome

16. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

When you can't bag on him about his talent you have to make fun of his weight. Sad.

17. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

That was cool. Very cool. Dave's voice isn't what it was, but the guy knows how to work a stage and put on a show.

And how about Ed? 15 years ago he never would have played Ellen, and he would have scowled as soon as Dave went off-script. He seems clean and healthy. He's playing GREAT. He seems happy, and he gets to tour the world with his son, whom he clearly adores.

So if they're happy, how about we be happy for them. Even if you don't enjoy Dave any more, let me leave with this:

Would rather be in a world where EVH is playing at the peak of his powers, or where he sits in his garage slowly killing himself. I'll take the former.

18. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Roth's solo stuff was more rock than the Van Hagar stuff.

Here's hoping Roth can show some improvement this summer

19. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I disagree - he sounded like DLR of old - and the audience liked him.
    Ed and Wold looked scared of the lesbians!LOL!

20. Plexico

Plexico Silver Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.