Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I'm curious about something.....other that Eddie's son being a bass player and taking Michael Anthony's spot, is there any other issue between Michael Anthony and the Van Halens?

2. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

What's with chewing a mouthful of gum while performing? I've never seen another singer do that. It looks lame and has to have a negative effect on his performance.
    I didn't read the whole thread, so if someone else mentioned it already so be it.

3. micycle

micycle Member

Dave Grohl seems to somehow defy the law of gum chewing while singing. I don't know how he does it.

4. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

I'm telling you - Roth brought his game to the gig! Yeah his voice is dying - his hair is gone...but wow...he made a the gig fun.

One side note...that Wolf...is he about as boring as it gets?

5. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Don't take this as my personal opinion, just what I've read on the subject. Ed tried to replace MA several times even in the first Roth era. Billy Sheehan was asked twice and Jeff Berlin at least once. Both declined and (my opinion now) likely not for musical differences.

IIRC, they did the 2004 tour because Al needed $$ after IRS issues and Sammy had just happened to call him up to chat around that time. The brothers didn't want Mike on that tour, but Sammy said no Mike, no tour. So they bought out his share of the VH corp. and all future claims, then paid him as a sideman.

Ed has always wanted to replace Mike, but his most recent reason for it was that Mike was touring with Sammy after he was out and the brothers couldn't figure out what to do after Gary Cherone was out. Six yrs. is a long time for MA to sit on his hands and so he went to tour with Sammy.

6. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

You know what. I disnt see anything wrong with Jump or Dance the Night Away. The backups are just Ed & Wolfie, Roth is Roth and they are just having a helluva good time up there. What's not to like.

Roth is a bit pitchy and out of time, post up some live clips of your bands, let see you nail every note.

Plus no tan pants, music stands, or teleprompters to be seen.

;)

7. JeffK

JeffK Member

Live, either front man is a compromise, at this point (not that Sammy is really an option anymore).

With Dave, you get the better songs with questionable vocal performance.
    With Sammy, you get better vocals on top of Van Hagar tunes, which were never as interesting as the early material.

8. Valus

Valus Member

If that's "a bit pitchy" to you I want to hear what you consider truly bad singing.

I get that people are excited about CH making a comeback, but that performance would absolutely make me think twice about buying concert tickets. It's one thing to be a bit off your prime, but this was totally a different level bad. His ability is gone.

9. frennis

frennis Member

I can't believe Dave missed his opportunity to cut holes in those pants so his ass cheeks could hang out. That audience would have loved it, and I fully believe they will suffer a drop in ticket sales in light of this major PR blunder!

10. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Vince Neil comes to mind for bad singing lol.

And like I said, the Not Stevie Nicks broad was brutal on The Today Show.

Jesus.

11. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

My thought... find a new young singer. You already have a kid on bass, so find someone younger that can hit the notes and entertain. There's all kinds of talent out there.

12. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

This is flawed logic. First, and most obviously, none of us are fronting Van Halen. The standard for playing arenas and big national TV spots should be a bit higher than local clubs. Second, one doesn't need to be a great singer, or even a musician, to have a valid opinion about a band/music/whatever. The notion that one needs to be equally successful to have a valid criticism is silly.

Here's the thing. I've always liked Dave and appreciate what he brings to VH. But he has clearly slipped further than the other guys in the band. He's more than just a little pitchy and his timing is all over the place. To the point where--to me--the only reason he's in VH is because he's DLR. Because if they picked a completely new to front the band and that was the performance, it would be completely unacceptable.

So your defense of DLR is that other big performers suck. Well Ok then...

Peace,

13. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

It's more that they are all getting older, so it's to be expected. You can't expect the performance of a 30 year old. VH could get a hotshot new young singer to nail all the notes, I wouldn't be interested in it.

A lot of it is nostalgia. It's good to see them together again. Lots of older bands are really slipping. I heard the stones last tour was pretty bad, etc etc. It's just good to see them together.

14. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Ok...
    good response in this thread.
    I am happy for EVH... he is enjoying life and his music.

How many of us would trade places to be playing music with his son and brother? And making the money that he does?
    I would.

15. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Yep. I've said it about some of the other bands around that are washed up like Sabbath. I see no shame in having a younger singer that can hit all the notes and be very energetic. A la Foreigner, Queensryche, Journey etc etc..

This BS of "It's only ____________ if ___________ is in the band is just that BS. Of course the caveat is there are still core member(s) remaining.

16. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Right now KISS isn't KISS to me. They are basically a cover band. One member away from being Lynrd Skynrd, and 2 members away from being Foriegner.

17. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

To hell with that. I *hate* bands that do that while the original members are ready and willing to play. Part of the whole deal with classic rock is the nostalgia of it all. I don't want a bunch of scabs in the band, no matter how well they play the role.

18. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Thats a little different if original members are "able" to play the stuff but get left behind. Hmm I just don't have an issue with it if it's a quality facsimile of something I've enjoyed for years.

19. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I understand that and generally agree. I wouldn't expect 61-year-old Dave to perform like 30-year-old Dave. I totally get that. And as I said in another thread, this isn't far off what I would have expected from Dave 30 years ago. Even then, he would sing off beat, talk through parts of songs, sometimes be pitchy. He's just does it more now. The question is (I think), at what point does that become just too much. Obviously some people here feel like he's at that point. I'm not so much, because I can still enjoy the band in spite of Dave's shortcomings.

Peace,

20. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

The Kiss situation is a little different. Ace is able to still play the stuff. There's serious questions on whether Peter could play the drums well enough still.

Talent wise comparing Peter to Eric Singer is like comparing the bass player for Nirvana to Victor Wooten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.