Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

I've never been a Sammy fan. I didn't like him before, during or after Van Halen. I do realize he is good...I just don't like it at all. This is the last version of Van Halen there will ever be so I'll just enjoy listening to Ed play for as long as he is willing to do it. They have earned the right to have fun at this point.

2. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

That's it right there. I just watched "Jump" on Ellen and I found myself grinning from ear to ear.

3. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

And I generally feel OK with it, in part because I love Van Halen and the band sounds great. I'm so happy to see Eddie healthy, sober, and playing that Dave's lapses don't really bother me too much. And with some songs he's fine.

Peace,

4. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I think the degree to which one can appreciate this depends on the degree to which one is in this more for nostalgia or for the music (some combination of both really).

I see people in here saying that the VH people are old etc but Glenn Hughes sings his ass off in his 60s today and John McLaughlin rips at age 72 as does Holdsworth at close to that age.

DLR is a very interesting guy and fun frontman but he clearly doesn't take singing as seriously as he could or he would be taking vocal lessons to help out instead of doing sword lessons or any one of the 50 other things he does seemingly quite intensely.

VH's brand of rock would be hard to pull off just right (especially for a frontman) after a certain age even if one did everything right.

In some ways, I enjoy Roth a lot more on his video channel talking about his interests than when he sings but I can appreciate VH being out there.

5. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

While I completely agree that Dave doesn't appear to take singing seriously (I'm honestly not sure he ever has), we all age differently. If you assume we all take care of ourselves equally, some of us will still look younger as we age, some will be more cognitively with it, some will maintain their muscle tone better, etc. And obviously some will suffer from afflictions which affect our performance. Some of that is how you take care of yourself. Some of it is your genetics.

But to your point, I think you're right that Dave doesn't appear to have worked to keep his vocal chops up. I think Dave is great at being Dave... kind of a singular celebrity. And he's so "him" that it can be mesmerizing. But if you really analyzed his vocal performance, he's got a lot of problems.

Peace,

6. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

this guy on vocals would be cool.

7. Roswellian

Roswellian Member

Wow, they were really awful! Roth sounded just plain bad. They did Jump and played along with a pre-recorded track. It was embarasing....

8. YYZ

YYZ Supporting Member

Just watched Panama. DLR sounded like an old guy singing along in the crowd; off time and everything. Weak link with an otherwise tight tight band. Alex and Wolfgang were on point. EVH was great too.

9. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

To me, he sounds like someone who doesn't sing on a regular basis, just when it's cha-ching time every 3-4 yrs. EVH still sounds like someone who plays ~ 1 hr/day 4-5 times a week (Jeff Beck's schedule). Wolfie probably more, as he has his own musical projects. Alex probably less.

10. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

There's got to be a VH cousin or something that can sing. Complete the circle.

11. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

Should have done Howard Stern. Ellen???

12. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Yeah, isn't that show for lesbians and housewives? That's some manager's bad call. Smacks of total irrelevancy. I guess they really are a household name in every sense of the term, though.

13. Bar-B-Kill

Bar-B-Kill Member

No problem with them on Ellen, but Jump! I think they could have done a whole lot better. Perhaps .... Dance the Night Away! Or god forbid UNCHAINED! I would love to see that audience bee bop to that one! :stir

14. derekd

derekd Member

Goodness that was awful!

Dave's moves look like a cross between Scott Weiland's slither and Axel Rose's funky dance. Eddie still has it. Weird not seeing MA on bass.

15. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Member

I thought it was great.

16. RLD

RLD Member

Got to give them props for being out there and doing it, but it was kinda corny.

17. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

18. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

DLR kind of gives it the lounge lizard feeling.

19. CowTipton

CowTipton Member

They seem a little out of place and at times a little out of sync.

20. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

My mama always said if you can't say something good.....

....and, I REALLY try to not run down other musicians - it's not a competition.....

..... so I'll just say Eddie's looking great. Confident, at ease, playing as good as ever, and looking like he's enjoying himself. Alex sounds good, maybe looks a little disconnected with everyone else .... uuuummmm, I'll leave it at that....

Sometimes it's best to quit while you're on top, and EVH is one of my favorite bands - definitely in my top-10 List. What has been let out of Pandora's Box cannot be put back in; what has been seen cannot be unseen. Once the circus train pulls off, it's time for the clown to put the act away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.