Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

Eddie looks good, happy and is playing well IMO.

Alex is doing fine.

Wolfie is very talented and Eddie wants him in the band. I can't imagine them ever calling Michael Anthony unless Wolfie told his dad that he wanted out of the band to do his own stuff. And I don't think that would ever happen, as they have too much fun playing together and Wolfie knows it would break his dad's heart.

DLR live can be split into two worlds: voice and stage presence. His voice is pretty shot, but it has been for awhile and he wasn't any worse on Ellen than he was on Kimmel or any other live video I've seen over the past 2-3 years. He talks more words than sings them.

Visually (stage presence) I'm glad he finally gave up on trying to do anything with the hair and he moves around well for a man his age (but not the way he used to of course). But the Ellen performance of Jump was a little scary - his constant smiling made me wonder if he was on happy pills. His comments during songs are generally awkward as was the entire routine with Ellen about Ed Sullivan and this is the first show we thought of to appear on, etc. Kimmel he seemed pretty normal for what modern day Dave usually is, but the Ellen performance he seemed extra awkward and all over the place. The constant smiling for no reason just freaked me out.

This is what VH is now. They need Dave because he's the devil they can deal with best rather than going to Sammy (who would surely mention the whole Michael Anthony issue). A replacement singer or Patty Smyth or whatever is not going to sell tickets like Dave can (to the general public with fond memories of classic VH).

EVH wants to play in his band with his son, first and foremost. Anything that would cause waves in that area (Sammy) is off the table.

I just wish that EVH would release new music of some sort. Most of that last album was reheated stuff from their early days, and for all his talk over the years about how much time he's spent playing and recording ideas in 5150, I would love to see something like instrumental stuff with just Al and Wolfie being released for free on their website or something like that. But I know that will never happen either, and that's just the way it is.

2. jwny72

jwny72 Member

I thought they were great. Ellen has a HUGE audience. It's definitely a good move for ANYONE to play her show.

I think DLR's shtick is cool. He's a vaudevillian at heart. The joke about The Beatles on Sullivan was funny, because the band Van Halen are a bunch of old guys playing hits from when they were young, 30+ years ago. It's a good joke!

I don't watch daytime TV or talk shows in general, but the few times I've seen Ellen's show I thought it was a good talk show. She does a great job in the talk show host role in my opinion. Maybe it's true that her audience is primarily women, but so what? And wouldn't a lot of women who grew up in the 80's love Van Halen? It seems like a great move for them to play there.

The band sounded great, DLR didn't sound bad, and he was excellent in his role as entertaining front man. What's with the critics on this board? Some of you are appallingly negative.

3. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

It's the new cyber-critic gen didn't you know?

Let's crap all over every legend that isn't once was anymore.

4. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

In the early days, DLR was the face of VH. He was the main attraction, and he couldn't sing for ****, although he sounded pretty cool. Guitarists went apeshit over Eddie and everybody loved him, but DLR was still it. In the mid to late 80s, pretty boy frontmen were a dime a dozen because of DLR. However, the few times I saw them, DLR annoyed the crap out of me. And I like him as a personality...but oy.....

5. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

That sounds like Geoff Tate with post nasal drip.

6. MatZen

MatZen Supporting Member

This sums it up best.

7. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Sounds like dUg, no?

8. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

This x 1000.

9. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

I am the biggest Sabbath fan I know and I admit Ozzy has been done for a long time. Sabbath had some great years without Ozzy though. Still could if Tony wasn't dying. :-(

10. skronker

skronker 2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions

i watched up until DLR started to "sing"

then I changed the channel

11. bugzapper

bugzapper Member

It baffles me that anyone wishes for Sammy in Van Halen. I can count the number of Van Hagar songs I like on one hand.

The first Montrose album is a bona fide classic, and Sammy has had a few moments since. But, for a long time and especially during his tenure with Van Halen, he's been the poster boy for "trying to be something he's not." He's not convincing as a party-hearty all-about-the-good-times guy--never has been.

When he remembers his R&B roots, he can be brilliant. But, for the last 35 years, at least, that's been rare. His voice is really good, but not for the music he plays. I think of him as one of the notable squandered talents in rock music. He could be in the same league as Paul Rogers as a singer. But, no. He'd rather barf on about tequila and Cabo whatever.

12. SteveO

SteveO Member

I was 15 when 1984 was released, and 16 when Sammy joined the band. Both versions of VH were there for my high school years, and both are equally a huge part of the soundtrack of my youth.

And I like them both equally well, but for different reasons.

13. gkinsingapore

gkinsingapore Member

This week has been like Xmas for me:

1. Living on the other side of the world I get up every morning and there's new Van Halen videos to watch (in HD that I can watch on a big screen TV none the less)
    2. Rock guitar on network TV AND VH is the most in demand artist in the history of Jimmy Kimmel
    3. A new Van Halen album that (I think anyway) seriously kicks major ass... EVH is on fire (no pun intended) all the way through the concert. I've listened to it through a couple of times and I don't notice that Dave doesn't sing with the technique of an American Idol contestant. In context is ****ING KILLER.
    4. VH is all over the internet and TV
    5. I get to show my favourite guitar player to my kids in big screen kick ass glory, even they get that its fun and real people playing rock n roll rather than Iggy ****ing Azalea rapping over sterile computerised loops. My 10 year old daughters only complaint about it all was that she didn't like the canned keyboards on Ellen.

Happy days fellas, step out from behind your keyboards, crank the Tokyo concert up and enjoy it for what it is.....

\m/

14. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

That's Dug Pinnick from King's X
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXYf6Xc58Dc

15. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

I thought it was a killer performance - no doubting their stage presence, and the band mix was spot on. My only quib is with DLR - sure, he's a frontman of unmatchable charisma, but I think, especially considering it was a one-song-only TV appearance, he should have focussed on delivering a better vocal performance than swinging around the set like a monkey with A.D.D.

Edit... I might have to eat my words... I only saw Jump, not realising they also performed Dance The Night Away. DLR is the perfect partner in crime for Eddie - a total attention magnet. Those 20-something vocal squeals he used to drop are seemingly a distant memory, but he still holds the audience in the palm of his hand, nor can you wipe that smile off his face. Looking real good for his age too.,, must be all that sushi he's been eating in Japan.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  16. GilmourD

GilmourD Member

If that is indeed actually him he sounds completely different on everything else I've ever heard him on.

17. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

Great post. My thoughts as well.

18. GF4LYF

GF4LYF Member

Love Van Helen, Can't stand Ellen.

19. GF4LYF

GF4LYF Member

With all these new threads of Van Halen, it reminds me of all the excitement there was when they came out with A
    Different Kind Of Truth.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  20. V-Type

V-Type Member

This is one of VH and Roths Best youtube gigs imo.
    What a Show and Eds tone and playing =:love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.