Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

Yeah, you don't want those people enjoying you music or buying your record.

2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I watched Jump and Dance the Night away.

Eddie was looking good .... I think former long hair musicians look better in shorter hair when they are older, and he is stylin.

Yeah, the high vocals are missed in Dance, but no one in that audience would ever know.

Alex ... I hate to criticize but wouldn't just one bass drum and 3 or 4 toms be enough to get the job done for a gig like that?

Dave, I'm thinking valium could help you, just 10mG with a meal before the show. :red
    I think dancing with that chick kept it kind of interesting for that particular audience, so good on you Dave.

That was a really nice stage floor!

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

I thought the same thing, watching the vids, about Sammy coming back.

Money is a powerful motivator. I think they've accepted they are a nostalgia act now, so I would think the money dangled in front of them for Sammy and Mike to come back, even for a few shows, would be a lot. Hard not to consider it.

Not many people, at that age, can continue to write new music that competes with their old. I didn't like A Different Kind of truth for that reason, I think Van Halen's genre lends itself to certain age period. They sound dated. The themes they are good at writing about are dated.

Bands like U2 and Pearl Jam can keep putting out good stuff because they've always written serious music about serious topics. But Van Halen is a party pop rock band and that theme doesn't have the staying power.

That's not to say they aren't great at what they do, just that they are fighting their own legacy and a fan base that out grew them. Anyone going to see VH expects the band to take them back to the 80s or 90s by playing those songs that remind them of certain times in their lives.

4. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

Absolutely. In fact, many of us were discussing this when Eddie was still hitting the sauce heavily. His last tour with Sammy was pretty uneven and the few performances we saw between then and the first Dave reunion tour were pretty brutal. For me, that's one of the big reasons I love seeing Ed back on top of his game. For a while it seemed like he might be done.

I agree with "Nah", but I think VH is too far down the path with Sammy or Dave and pretty much anyone but one of those guys would seem wrong to most fans.

Peace,

5. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Wasn't that bad......thought Dave sang better than on Kimmel

6. MSS

MSS Member

Not a fan but I thought it was quite good.......Eddie was great which is good to see after-all the crap he's been through.

7. Phila67

Phila67 Member

I am happy with Van Halen as is. Let Sammy stay with Chickenfoot. I bought the live album and have listened to all of it. It's actually pretty damn good and Wolf and Ed fill in more than adequately for Michael Anthony.

8. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Did anyone else notice that the "girl from the audience" that Dave pulled up to dance with him on DTNA was the same girl on Ellen AND Kimmel? Same outfit and everything. I guess she's just part of the show.

9. Phila67

Phila67 Member

Yes, that was clearly rehearsed. The average production assistant is not likely to know how to do the "Open Cuban Turn", or pull it off at the drop of a hat. But I thought it was a cool performance nonetheless.

10. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

If DLR walked on water all y'all would say it's because he can't swim.

lol @ grumpy old men. I doubt many 60 year olds here could front the band as well as DLR.

I'm sure that would work, but what's the fun in that.

;)

11. hansgruber

hansgruber Member

:facepalm:nuts

12. Phila67

Phila67 Member

This. I bought it on ITunes and it really is a good live album. Ed and Wolf even harmonize well. Dave sounds pretty good on all of the lower register stuff like And the Cradle Will Rock, Hot of Teacher, I'll Wait, Beautiful Girls, Pretty Woman, Romeo's Delight etc. His problems come when he tries to do too much. But that's what live rock and roll is kinda all about--going for it.

They really smoke on Hot for Teacher.

13. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

watched these clips last night on computer w/ my boy's beats headphones.
    i've never been a fan of jump, but it sounded fine.
    now DTNA, wow, the band i thought sounded awesome and huge!
    ed looks so good and happy, which is great for him.

you know, it's funny people ragging on DLR, he admits on the show that he's 60. guess what, ed is 60 also, and honestly for 60 years old, they both look great! as for DLR, you know, as you age: EVERYTHING CHANGES!
    i'm sure he has hearing loss, and it is a reality that the vocal cords change, you can no longer hit high notes (see: billy joel also).
    honestly i thought he did ok singing, he is a clown of sorts, so that's his personality...the little dance number improv...well, honestly, you can tell he can dance. for a 60 year old he has some moves.
    and honestly, from what that band has been through, it's a miracle they are still together and alive!
    so, i'll cut them some slack, plus it's just rock and roll, when was it a requirement to be Pavarotti to sing rock and roll: never.
    he did fine.
    And from watching Ed's interviews from the DVD extra on ADKOT, he's about as deaf as my mom, so it's a miracle he's still playing, and honestly
    i thought he sounded awesome!

14. Ben R

Ben R Member

Unchained from Kimmy Kimmell...

15. Ben R

Ben R Member

Aint' talkin' 'bout Love from Jimmy Kimmell...

16. Rogue

Rogue Member

They are having fun, and making a boat load of money. Yeah, Dave has slipped several notches, and probably wouldn't be able to entertain anyone these days without the VH family....so he's quite happy to be where he is.

Eddie is healthy and looks happy. He was in a deep hole at one point, so I'm really happy to see him like that. He's jamming with his bro and son, and I suspect that is deeply important to him as no telling what time was lost in the black out period. Particularly with Wolfgang. He's showing his son the business and hooking him up for life to do whatever he wants to do with it. How can anyone blame him for that?

I'm happy to see them out doing it. Hopefully we can get another cd or two of original music from Eddie before he's gone. I'd be fine with an instrumental. There was a point not too long ago I thought it was an impossibility.

17. hansgruber

hansgruber Member

lot of it is funny to read because the people bitchin have never done anything worth while musically in their lives and they are nothing but jealous and angry.
    If you can't be happy for VH you really have deep issues...If you don't like them or Dave the internet is wide open go bitch about other things that are more important

18. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Say what you will, Michael Anthony was no Billy Sheehan.

19. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

They are grumbling into their music stands. Lol

20. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Nice to hear Wolfie refer to EVH as "Dad". (And talk about Dad's "headspace", LOL).

Every time Dweezle refers to his dad as "Frank" I cringe. Silly, I know, but arghh.

Dave... is just Dave. Saw him plenty when he was young, he was all over the place but the balance of schtick to singing was much better and he actually could do some interesting things with his voice. Solo tours in the Vai period I noticed the balance was moving towards schtick... he'd let the boyz sing entire parts while he did a talk-sing thing. But he'd still pull out some melodies.

Now... the balance has moved into a place that's pretty annoying, because to my ear he actually *could* do more actual singing and is just too into being Dave to bother. But then again he's DLR and I'm not so my opinion means nothing. And I listen for Eddie anyway. I really enjoyed some of the fun comping he was doing on the Ellen clip. That's a fun song and he seems to enjoy goofing off with it. He remains a top-notch rock guitarist with great groove and humor in his playing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.