Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Status
Not open for further replies.

technomancer

Supporting Member
So glad they played these talk show gigs, it saved me the cash I would have wasted going to see them live. Right before the date here went on sale too.

As for being jealous or angry, I'm neither. If you think that caliber of performance is worth going out to see for $100+ per ticket more power to you, have fun.

JCW308

Supporting Member
I don't know, it really IS painful to watch DLR on that video. The rest of the band sounded good but he is just so annoying (but that has always been the case).

GuitarGuy66

So glad they played these talk show gigs, it saved me the cash I would have wasted going to see them live. Right before the date here went on sale too.

As for being jealous or angry, I'm neither. If you think that caliber of performance is worth going out to see for $100+ per ticket more power to you, have fun.

Fleetwood Macs abysmal today show saved me $600.

smv929

Sam Halen is something totally different than Van Halen. Sammy can technically sing better but i m not a fan of his vocal tone, the pop songs and Eds use of chorusy guitar during that period. I prefer the true Van Halen even with Roth's shortcomings. VH rocks.

derekd

Supporting Member
lot of it is funny to read because the people bitchin have never done anything worth while musically in their lives and they are nothing but jealous and angry.
If you can't be happy for VH you really have deep issues...If you don't like them or Dave the internet is wide open go bitch about other things that are more important
Is that Doctor hansgruber then? It must be for you to have the power to diagnosis all of us from behind your keyboard.

Isn't it possible that for those of us who grew up with VH, seeing them self destruct in bitterness, ego, substance abuse, cancer, etc, are a bit disappointed it took them until they hit their 60s to get over their issues enough to perform again?

I wish them well, and hope they accomplish whatever it is they are shooting for on this tour, whether it be the $, Wolfie and Ed getting the experience together, reliving the glory days, or whatever.

However, if you are unable to live with the fact many of us see their act as a shadow of what they were, maybe you need to take your own advice. The stress of people not agreeing with you may be too much.

RCM78

pre sale packages just went on sale for my local show at the PNC Art's center in Holmdel NJ. Front row package was $999 a ticket and are sold out... VIP packages are $750 each and the lowly Tour Package is $450 each...

I like Sammy but there's no way they would sell those packages if he was fronting the band...

Last edited:

hansgruber

Hit a nerve did I? I grew up with them too my friend but I'm smart enough to know they are getting old and not in their 20's anymore and to know they owe me nothing.Btw I could care less if you agree with me.I injoy it for what it is and don't out of my way to **** on other people just because i'm disappointed some other human being hasn't lived up to my expectations.

JTM100

I mean 'ole Dave has his songs and schtick... and don't get me wrong... I LOVE my David Lee/Van Halen catalog but the other guys in the band are leavin' him in the dust... c'mon!

From those Jimmy Kimmel clips that Tweedy posted and everything else posted lately....?

I think Sammy Hagar could keep up with the Van Halens and then some!!

Love's me some Dave but Sammy? Whole 'nutha level...

Fine you guys... Let the flaming begin... :brick:FM:Devil:dude:dude:dude
How a bout...uh...NO!!! Sammy is great...but lets keep Dave.

derekd

Supporting Member
Hit a nerve did I? I grew up with them too my friend but I'm smart enough to know they are getting old and not in their 20's anymore and to know they owe me nothing.Btw I could care less if you agree with me.I injoy it for what it is and don't out of my way to **** on other people just because i'm disappointed some other human being hasn't lived up to my expectations.
No nerves hit here, just thought it ironic you calling people out because they don't agree with you.

Frankly, I'd rather remember them from 78 at Texas Jam, and the other times I saw them. 5150 tour was especially memorable.

Btw, that is "I couldn't care less," and clearly not true, otherwise, you wouldn't have felt compelled to **** on those who disagreed with you. :dunno

I wish both them and you well. Go see'em and have a great time!

Mike K

Supporting Member
Dave looks and acts like a chump. More so than he ever has. At this point, Sammy would be WAY cooler. Not trying to troll, just amazed that EVH and Alex put up with that as their lead singer.
I agree, 'At this point, Sammy would be WAY cooler.'.

jaycee

Dammit, what a fickle bunch of old grumps on this friggin' page. Seriously.

All people did was bitch and whine about VH coming back for years. Then they do. All people do here is complain about it.

"Where's Sammy"
"Dave's old"
"It's schtick"
"He's off key"

I was afraid to watch the video because of all the negative whining. I watched it and IT PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE. Isn't that the point? Sorry guys, but 1980 was a long friggin' time ago. Get over it. Enjoy it.

And not for nothing guys, but 60 year-old Dave is in better shape than 99% of the people here whining about him. Sheesh.

R3deemed

Nice to hear Wolfie refer to EVH as "Dad". (And talk about Dad's "headspace", LOL).

Every time Dweezle refers to his dad as "Frank" I cringe. Silly, I know, but arghh.

Dave... is just Dave. Saw him plenty when he was young, he was all over the place but the balance of schtick to singing was much better and he actually could do some interesting things with his voice. Solo tours in the Vai period I noticed the balance was moving towards schtick... he'd let the boyz sing entire parts while he did a talk-sing thing. But he'd still pull out some melodies.

Now... the balance has moved into a place that's pretty annoying, because to my ear he actually *could* do more actual singing and is just too into being Dave to bother. But then again he's DLR and I'm not so my opinion means nothing. And I listen for Eddie anyway. I really enjoyed some of the fun comping he was doing on the Ellen clip. That's a fun song and he seems to enjoy goofing off with it. He remains a top-notch rock guitarist with great groove and humor in his playing.

Seeing those girls jumping in the Ellen show audience sorta says it all doesn't it?

neastguy

Dave just makes it so goofy .... the rest of the guys are fine.. but Dave is way out there with his singing and his appearance.. that grin on his face is freaky..... I like Dave but its just not working anymore.. IMO...

oh and I'm not jealous.. I really like Van Halen...

oh BTW Dave is in great shape for his age... I agree.. so what? lol...

GuitarGuy66

I do agree about the constant **** eating grin. He used to be "oh so much cooler than you" whereas now he just seems kinda dorky. The "silliness" seemed to really take hold during the bluegrass VH album he did, and it never really went away.

Where did the swagger go.

I do like that his hair is age appropriate and for the most part his stage dress is as well. The suit/vest look really works for him. The baggy jean jacket/pants not so much. I really enjoyed their last tour and I'll definitely see them again if they come this way.

MikeyG

Supporting Member
The recordings from the 70s and 80s show Dave singing well (he never blew you away, but it was nothing that made you go 'ew'). So he has the capability, he's just lazy. Even back in the 70s and 80s, in concert, he'd do that talk-sing thing, but at least he was more in key than he is today.

He's more interested in being goofball Dave. "Come on, Dave, gimme a break, you can do both"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics