Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

They should have picked a tune that didn't need backing tracks. Somehow hearing a musician that isn't there makes me feel cheated. Not a true LIVE performance, even though their parts were clearly live. Just MY opinion...

Tony

2. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

The Red Rocker is a louder version of Jimmy Buffett. The Guy Fieri of rock. In fact, the Cabo Wabo Cantina should do the All-You-Can-Eat Red Rocker Buffet.

Yeah.

Who wants to see them finish up happy, alive and on their terms?

Here's to hoping for a plane crash, an OD or a recurrence of Ed's cancer.

smh

I get that people don't like this version of VH. I do. But I think it says more about middle-aged men not liking that they're being reminded of the passage of time. I think they're aging as gracefully as they can.

FWIW, I showed my wife (no VH fan, but not a hater either - and a trained stage actress) the Ellen "Dance The Night Away" clip and her impression was "That was really sweet, I'd go. Dave's voice is shot, but they guy can work a room." So maybe they're branching out, and when that happens, maybe some of the Camaros get replaced by Audis in the parking lot.

3. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

The more I see Eddie grow up the more relaxed and happy he appears to be. He just seems comfortable in his skin and he has total control and command of his guitar. His playing looks effortless, but so complex.
    I'm a fan.

HMTM

4. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Member

To each his own, but maybe being "cooler than you" isn't really where it's at, at least not for everyone. EVH himself seems to be smiling just as much. Maybe they are both just happy to be there, making music. I can't begrudge them that.

Everyone gets older and perspectives change. How well is youthful-swagger-in-middle-to-old-age working for Axl Rose? Glenn Danzig? Vince Neil?

5. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Danzig lost his eyebrows.

:(

6. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Maybe people are peanut butter & jealous because they aren't aging as gracefully.

7. monty

monty Member

I wasn't crazy about them doing Jump either and I'm sure it wasn't their favorite choice but given the Ellen audience it was the perfect choice.
    Not sure Mean Street or Sinners Swing would have worked out too well.

8. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Love VH...but watching the videos was painful. Band sounded good...but the vocals were beyond brutally bad...

Now, I understand that everyone gets old...but if you can't handle the gig....

9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

For the record, Sammy is pretty close to 70 now.

10. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

Audience got free tickets to the HB show and a CD?
    Great marketing and promotion.

I am becoming a EVH follower because he survived all of the drinking/ drug issues.

Like someone else posted, a new album by VH, but with guest singers on each song would be cool.

Didn't that work for Carlos Santana a few years ago?

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

People that listen with their memory and their love for VH instead of what their ears are hearing and their eyes are seeing.

No, we wouldn't, based on the comparable skill loss of Robert Plant and Jimmy Page.

Are you saying that DLR can sing at a high level right now but chooses not to?

The demographic of the Ellen show is probably about the same demographic as VH's, so that's not really surprising.

12. Matt L

Matt L Member

I thought it was great! The band just exudes good vibes, and I thought they sounded great. DLR was DLR.....a complete ham and just pure fun. His vocals were fine.

13. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

I personally think those amps or whatever he's got going on (who knows what it really is) sound as good as he's ever sounded. I do miss MA but the kid sounds fine.

14. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

15. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

The band sounded good enough for TV.
    Watching David was like being in Las Vegas and seeing some guy do a bad tribute show with too much adlib talking. All that was missing was asking an audience member "Hey, where are you from?".

16. habanaerosmith

habanaerosmith Member

I personally wasn't interested in VH after Dave left. It's not that Sam can't sing. He's a perfectly serviceable rock singer.

To me, Dave embodies the spirit of Van Halen, along with Ed of course. There really isn't anyone else like him.

Look at almost any other rock singer today, or through the history of rock music for that matter. So many brooding, serious, shoe-gazing, sticks-in-the-mud.

Dave has always been a breath of fresh air, and he still is. Between him and Ed, you can't not smile when you see them perform.

BTW, his voice is strong and solid in the Ellen clip.

17. KHAN

KHAN Member

It's amazing that every VH thread eventually evolves into guys hurling insults at each other. Grow up forchristsake...

Ed looks and is playing great.

18. cg

cg Member

I thought it was cool and they looked like they were having a great time. Life is too short to bitch about everything.

19. Blackmore's Hat

Blackmore's Hat Member

Those vids prove the following:

• Van Halen (the band) is OLD!
    • Dave is as kooky as ever.
    • Eddie's fat kid got the gig 'cause he's Eddie's kid.
    • Diamond Dave is a 1000 times the showman than Hagar ever was!

I love Sammy's early 80s solo stuff, but there's a reason Van Hagar was boring. DLR brings the fun to VH! I don't know how anyone that likes VH could watch that and not smile.

20. scottlr

scottlr Member

I've been here a long time. It is NOT at all amazing. To me, it is expected. I read it for amusement and not much else.

I need to go back and watch some the original VH footage to do a fair comparison of DLR. He is and has always been quite a character. I just can't recall how he used to do it very well. I am old, too. About his age, and no way in hell could I pull off the stage show he does.

OK, back to the petty bickering. Amuse me some more, fellas. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.