Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Status
Not open for further replies.

neoprimitive

I'm thankful they are back together playing at all. Sure it isn't the same as the old days, but that was many years ago. they seem healthy, happy and having fun. the world of full of a lot of crap music these days, and for me, having them back doing their thing is a great thing. if I was Dave, I'd probably have a permanent sh#t eating grin too. I'd rather listen and see VH at their worst than today's bubblegum processed cheese pop disney machine music acts..

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
Love VH...but watching the videos was painful. Band sounded good...but the vocals were beyond brutally bad...

Now, I understand that everyone gets old...but if you can't handle the gig....

^ ^ ^
This.

Giving DLR a pass by saying he sounds okay for 60 is BS. He could never really sing well and now he sounds just terrible. Hell, Tony Bennett is going to be 89! I would rather watch him and Lady Gaga any time any day.

frdagaa

Silver Supporting Member
I heard or read about a DLR performance with VH that was terrible recently -- on Kimmel, was it? -- and I expected the absolute worst when I saw the Ellen performance. I enjoyed the band, and actually thought DLR was just fine. I saw DLR perform about 10 years ago with his own band, when his hair was bleached or gray and long and he was balding, and he was still wearing spandex and acting like he was in his 20s. Now THAT was horrid. The Ellen performance was so much more reasonable. Nice vest, ok singing, goofy smile (he's always had that), showing his age appropriately.

Really liked Eddie and Alex. Had't seen wolfie since he was 8 or 9. He's ... grown.

Structo

I recorded it.

I was embarrassed for them.

It was like watching the geriatric version of Van Halen. (and I'm 58)

They should just leave us with the recordings they made as the Dave band and the Sammy band.

GuitarGuy66

Silver Supporting Member
I heard or read about a DLR performance with VH that was terrible recently -- on Kimmel, was it? -- and I expected the absolute worst when I saw the Ellen performance. I enjoyed the band, and actually thought DLR was just fine. I saw DLR perform about 10 years ago with his own band, when his hair was bleached or gray and long and he was balding, and he was still wearing spandex and acting like he was in his 20s. Now THAT was horrid. The Ellen performance was so much more reasonable. Nice vest, ok singing, goofy smile (he's always had that), showing his age appropriately.

Really liked Eddie and Alex. Had't seen wolfie since he was 8 or 9. He's ... grown.

slybird

David Lee Roth is the main reason I have no love or respect for Van Halen. Eddie might be a great guitar player, but he wasted his talent on idiotic songs with a clownish front person.

V-Type

Look I think Sammy was Brilliant with Montrose and is a Great singer but the formula Sam and Evh used/created was way too Pop Industry derived for me.
Between Eds complete tone change and his New Pop era writing/playing,Sams lyrical content,etc...
I was repelled almost immediately.
That shifted and chorus drenched guitar tone on the 5150-later material just leaves me
wondering wtf was the reasoning there at the time..

plaintopper

IMO, everything that was cool about Van Halen disappeared the minute Sammy Hagar came aboard.

I loathe Van Hagar. If it comes on the radio or Pandora or whatever, I'm flipping somewhere else. Sammy is a good rock crooner but to me, he is poison in Van Halen. When my wife said way back when that Van Halen was a lot better with Sammy singing, that pretty much assured me my gut feeling was correct ... :)

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I saw VH live during the 5150 tour which was 1986 I think, Sammy Hagar of course on vocals.
it was quite possibly the worst vocals I've ever witnessed live, his voice was literally giving out on him, so yeah, no thanks.
DLR is the true VH frontman.

I saw Sammy last year, and he was amazing. Not just for his age. He flat out sang, entertained and rocked it. I was most impressed, and I'm not a fan. I much prefer the DLR era VH. Van Hagar not so much. But I have to give it to Sammy, he put on one helluva show for us. It was a great time.

killagorilla

He's not bad.....he's just not Mike. Mike has a signature vocal that is almost as much of the VH sound as Eddie's guitar.

I get that a lot of old fans like MA and want him in the band. But this sort of hyperbole is rampant.

Michael Anthony was a good backing vocalist (he could never make the grade for world class lead vocals), a barely adequate bassist and non-existent songwriter.

Eddie Van Halen can make a case for being the greatest Rock guitar player ever and has written dozens of the most memorable riffs in guitar history.

11130255_469922643164443_2596134975113473942_n.jpg

Last edited:

Craig Walker

"Anger, fear, aggression. The Bark Side are they"
Gold Supporting Member
But this sort of hyperbole is rampant.

That's why I threw "almost" in there....

Ok, how about "Mike's BGV are a key part of the VH sound, and are now absent."

Better? :)

If you watch that '99 clip of DLR, he really does much of the same moves/schtick as now. For some reason seeing him sans 'The Hair' it just doesn't work for me. He just looks silly. Back then it looked like it flowed naturally.....now it looks like he's thinking "what did I used to do when I was cool?"

killagorilla

I hear what you are saying and my response is not primarily aimed at you but more at a significant portion of the internet. Michael Anthony is a likeable fellow, has maintained dignity and anyone would wish him well.

He is being used as a stick to beat Eddie by some when I feel we should just appreciate a unique and huge talent - but fragile guy (cancer, mental illness etc.) - is back in the game. Some people should remember there is a good reason for the band name.

They are called Van Halen. Not Anthony.

Oakvillain

I'm talking about using the entire guitar as a tool to get what he wants from it? Drop D,use of Floyd, tapping, guitar and amp mods and the rest of it. Can't think of anyone else in popular music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom