Merged Van Halen Super Thread...post here. STOP WITH THE OTHER THREADS ALREADY

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by kselbee, Mar 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defendant

Defendant Member

Well, we're not taking you seriously. That's gotta count for something.

Edward is many things, all at once. A serious musician in a less-than-serious band. A socially awkward guy whose evening job involves tens of thousands of eyeballs watching his every move. A borrower and modifier who happened to also make a bunch of stuff up from scratch and change course of rock guitar.

By most accounts Ed is the second most influential rock guitar player of all time. If that's being a hack, I'd take a life of hackery.

Not everyone has to agree on his level of influence -and I agree it has limits both over time and across genres. But your constant, repetitive selective nit-picking of the components of his style is just odd. What are you hoping to achieve? We've read the same stuff you have, heard the boots. Are we all going to finally understand just how miniscule Ed's contribution to the guitar really was, despite all evidence to the contrary?

To be fair, it is more difficult for me to believe Edward is a hack than most. That has to do with seeing him play the piano for his own enjoyment in a hotel bar in '98. If people think he's good on guitar, they should hear what he does in his spare time. I wish I had a smartphone back then.

Of course, there'd be some especially consistent soul on a piano forum picking it apart with justs, onlys and slightlys, to the tune of 30 plus near-identical posts over a six month period...

BTW: punctuation will make your posts appear a little less 'special'.

2. Birddog

Birddog Member

I remember some of the threads from which this thread was created were actually fun to read. Maybe I'm just putting too positive a spin on them?

This one has ceased to be fun, or even informative.

3. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

4. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

:spit

Eh. Cheats, makes his own in a completely unprecedented way... same difference.

Pffffft! Tell me about it. Everybody was combining those elements in hard rock back then. Pure hackery!

5. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

I always enjoyed EVH and Spanish Fly but does anyone here actually take this quote to mean that John thinks this is flamenco or rather that it's a flamenco inspired technique and that he enjoyed it etc?

Some seriously odd discussions in here.

6. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Death to false flamenco!

7. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

He's not a complete idiot hack, he hacks things together and makes them work in rock and he also did it with his guitars.

There is footage of him playing the piano at home and he probably knows a lot of things and he listens to stuff like Debussy but his guitar approach is hacking things together.

A Flamenco player would not use what EVH is using in Spanish Fly but EVH makes it work because of his hacking approach.

Does anyone know what Flamenco consists of?

EVH is saying himself that he's cheating some Flamenco.

If EVH had to give a concert playing Flamenco for half an hour he wouldn't be able to do it.

btw Flamenco guitarists use their right hand fingers which EVH could not do at that time and he had hardly even played any Acoustic guitar at that time either.

It's Flamenco that is good enough for Rock and Roll and it has some interesting things in it but does anybody think that EVH fancied himself as a Flamenco guitarist?

So, EVH does a Flamenco sounding thing and now we have to put him up there with great Flamenco guitarists, only a narrow fanboy would say that.

If EVH read the Flamenco playing crap in this thread (dudes/dudettes taking him seriously as a Flamenco player) he'd probably be laughing out loud.

8. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Nobody said he's a Flamenco guitarist, that I'm aware of. First off, it was more a fusion of his style with some flamenco technique. To an average listener who is not very familiar with flamenco, they might describe it as flamenco. To someone that knows their stuff (ie. John M) they'd recognize it as a pretty awesome hybrid of various techniques that include, but are not limited to, flamenco.
    Only an argumentative contrarian, or record store nerd level flamenco purist would bitch about it not being 'troo flamenco', and therefore hackish.

9. fenderlead

fenderlead Member

It's hackish but it's what makes EVH EVH.

If EVH was playing Flamenco seriously then he would not be sounding like EVH where he has the freedom to do what he wants and hack together anything that takes his fancy.

There is a hacked Flamenco bit in Eruption as well and it fits in and that's what makes EVH EVH.

10. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

So clarify this for me: anyone that takes a technique or style and infuses it with their own on some level is a hack?

11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

In modern parlance the ability to 'hack' something is to make a skillful, creative, use or modification of an existing process to improve its function or outcome.

whodathunk it would come to that?
    A 'hack' is a 'genius.':rolleyes:

12. Wagster

Wagster Member

Who cares, he plays his ass off.

13. hansgruber

hansgruber Member

Fake and a hack...lol

14. Defendant

Defendant Member

Ten repetitions of the term flamingo.

[​IMG]