Merle Haggard's Dumble

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ColonelForbin, Jan 6, 2017.

1. DRS

DRS Member

Sure got Emerald City a lot of traffic.

RCCola likes this.
  2. Phletch

Phletch Member

Who cares? I'm not in the market for it - are you? The price increase is there because that's what the seller put the price at - doesn't mean that's what he'll get (although these guys know what the market will bear, so they know what they're doing). If somebody wants it, they'll get it if they can afford it, and they might not even care one way or the other if it was ever Merle's amp. And the seller didn't say for certain that it was; only "rumored to have been..." And like I said in a post above, among the relatively small circle of people who are into this stuff, they'll do their due diligence and ask around. Somebody will know. If it is the amp that was in Reverb and that seller was from England, the amp had already been sold at least once between then and now, apparently, as the article I quoted in post #42 states that the current owner/seller in WA purchased the amp from a collector in Nashville.

It seems we go through this on every single Dumble thread, and the people who balk at the price answer their own questions without even knowing it. "Oh, that's outrageous. I'd never pay that." Cool, the amp at that price has no value - to YOU. Doesn't mean that it's not a bargain for somebody else.

Seller sets the price. Buyer determines the value. A thing is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. It's not that difficult.

amphog, dylheaven and Bluesful like this.
  3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes. Art can be valued well beyond what someone might pay for it - because some Art Historians at
    the Louvre told an insurance company the relative value.

Love
    Mr Contrarian!

4. Phletch

Phletch Member

Still doesn't change anything. The insurance company that agrees with the historians' assessment of value and insures it for that amount is still determining the value; it's tantamount to buying the piece.

ArtDecade likes this.
  5. Papanate

It certainly does change the price - you said in different words that Dumble amps are Market Will Bear priced.
    And a art historian (or music shop) set a value that is usually independent of what people will pay for a piece.

It's exactly like the recently posted 50s Les Pauls - one was at nearly $300K and the other at nearly $500K.
    Both are completely artificial prices.

6. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

I have a better chance of making the Porsche sound good.

7. Phletch

Phletch Member

A museum piece that's not for sale is not the same as an amp in a music shop that is for sale; they're two different markets, but, regardless, "price" and "value" or "worth" are two different things. The museum piece is insured for a certain value based on agreement of price set by the museum's historians and the insurance company's experts. The museum's experts set a "price" to the insurance company, and if the insurance company agrees, boom, there's your value or worth. If the insurance company doesn't agree, the museum can bark all they want, but it won't be insured by that company. In which case they can either negotiate for a lower insured value or agree to higher premiums or special security measures be put in place so the insurance company feels a bit more safe with their investment - because it is an investment should the piece ever be damaged or stolen and the insurance company has to pay out. Or the museum can shop their price to another insurance company who may be more amenable.

The music shop with this Dumble amp FOR SALE sets the price, obviously, to make a profit. If they want to sell it and not sit on it forever (ie, they're a motivated seller), they're not going to put the price at, say, $1 million. They can *think* or *believe* the amp is worth that much, but until somebody actually ponies up with the cash, it's worth nothing because there's still no agreement of value or worth. At that price, however, the amp will sit there for a long, long time because the market simply is not likely to bear that price until maybe it's the last Dumble left on the planet. So, they set the price at $160 thousand because other amps have sold for nearly that price, and they've probably set the price a bit higher than what they'll actually take so there's some negotiating wiggle room.
    Right. Which is exactly what I'm saying. Seller sets the price. Buyer who agrees to that price gives it value or worth. If seller agrees to a lower price, then that is the thing's value or worth.
    Every price is artificial until somebody agrees to buy it at that price. When money changes hands that's when sh!t gets real. Again, price is what a seller would like to get, what he wishes for, or believes something is worth. The buyer who agrees to that price confirms its worth, to him/her at that time. If those LPs aren't for sale (I don't know which ones you're referring to) then, yeah, sure, stick whatever "price" you want on them. If they are for sale, and the seller is not a motivated seller, he's willing to go to his grave with those guitars fixed at those prices, or he's simply holding out, hoping he may get lucky and somebody steps up and says, "Sure, I'll give you $300K."

ArtDecade likes this.
  8. Papanate

Yes true. I don't think we are in any disagreement - except that the value of a Dumble is aritficial and actual - as the shop owner would have
    to set some value to the device - so that the blanket insurance will cover them should it get lost or stolen.

We have achieved ignition. All the prices out and about are artificial. It's just a weird observation
    of mine that contrast with all the people here saying - 'oh that's way overpriced!'. It can't be
    as there is no 'price'.

Phletch likes this.
  9. Phletch

Phletch Member

And that's all I've bee trying to convey as well. Seller sets price at what he/she perceives its value to be. To the buyer who perceives the value to be lower the item is overpriced. When seller and buyer agree on "price" and money changes hands, then we have real agreement on value.

10. seiko

seiko Member

11. logdrum

logdrum Member

I understand all that market analysis that you are being a pundit of. My question was is there a certificate of authenticity that this is indeed Merle's amp, because the original seller from England in the reverb ad, did not mention that then. So basically the price reflects that it previously belonged to Merle's not that it is just a Dumble. Basically this is an amp for the 1 percent, which probably if sold at that price, won't be repaired if the caps go Isn't it in Seattle where the collectors of Eric Clapton guitars and the like reside.

Also please don't words in my mouth, I never said the price was outrageous or I would never pay for that. I am just wondering where the massive markup from the last known selling price came from. It is easy to say it is Merle's. Merle's was not SRV who was known to be playing Dumbles before he died.

Is this also a consignment item? Emerald City is still a store you can walk into and buy a set of Ernie Ball Strings not a by appointment only Violin shop, or Norm's or Gruhn's or Manny's.

12. logdrum

logdrum Member

Okay then... If a house in San Jose south that's livable, with a two car garage is now considered a shack, I guess I do not know how starter houses should look like. Not everyone makes 500K a year. Wondering how long that can be sustained and where would the help live after a while.

13. Major Dude

Major Dude Member

Yes it is a lot of cash for an amp every band member and FOH engineer you ever encounter is likely to ask you to TURN DOWN :cool:

Raidermofojeff and Bandersnatch like this.
  14. Strat335

Strat335 Member

Haven't read most of this but Hag played through two Bassmans a long time, and in his younger years, all he ever wanted to do really was play lead guitar in a working band, that was his goal before he got famous. He was a good guitar player, but of course the last couple of decades slipped some. His son Ben is a kick ass guitarist. He also made a hundred million or more in his career, and he could spend the money, which led to bankruptcies (he could spend it, and so could his management).

Just saying, I can see him getting a wild hair and buying a Dumble, but I have never heard about it. I can find out.

mcuguitar likes this.
  15. logdrum

logdrum Member

Please do.

Says his net worth was 40 million. Did he spend the other hundreds or stolen by management http://www.famousbirthsdeaths.com/merle-haggard-bio-net-worth-facts/

16. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Mama Tried to teach me better, but her pleading I denied. ....

Now there's no one but me to blame....for buying the Dumble.

17. tmac

tmac Goldmember

I think "Merle Haggard's Dumble" is the perfect title for a country song.
    C F C
    "She took the house, the car, and left me quite humble.
    G C
    But she'll never take my pride, or my Dumble"

18. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

You don't get it then. It's cool.
    Roy Nichols. later clint strong, then redd voelkert.
    It sounds easy.
    It ain't.

19. onetracker

onetracker Member

well...

it's not even CLOSE to being cranked. what would it sound like at 3/4 volume? playing some music instead of a tone test. the ones I've heard live sound amazing (ford and carlton). check out: fatman in the bathtub on waiting for Columbus by little feat. play it loudly on some good gear.

that being said, the asking price is just stupid.

OT

20. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Oh ludicrous price for sure.

niassist likes this.