• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Mesa 2:90 vs Simul 395

Marshall_SLX

This will be for use with my Triaxis and Quad preamp... looks to me like it all comes down to the "modern" voicing switch on the 2:90... 395 seems to get better tone and build quality reviews but im playing mostly high gain thrash... will i miss the modern voicing?

Janus Alfador

I've had a Strategy 500 for over a decade and I just recently got a 2:90. I'm very impressed by the 2:90, and surprised by it. It has a rounder sound than the 500 and it's every bit as loud, if not a bit louder at max volume.

The 395 has the same chassis as the 500. I don't know if it weighs the same, but the 2:90 takes up one less rack space, and it's a lot lighter than the 500.

I haven't yet gotten a switcher for the 2:90 so I can't comment on the modes like the Modern. But overall, I think it sounds fantastic. I just wish that it had the front panel controls that the 500 has. I think that would make it pretty unbeatable if it had that, and also reverse taper pots to make it easier to dial in lower volume sounds. My 2:90 is a V1 and I don't know if the taper is changed in later production years.

I'm very happy with the 2:90 so far, though.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
It’s a good question, one I’ve wondered about. But I haven’t owned either power amp to know first hand. The 2:90 manual says this about Modern mode, though:

“Again, this LED indicates the Modern voicing feature has been selected. Derived from the presence shift switches found on our Mark IV amplifier, and the "Red" or Modern Channel of our Dual Rectifier Solo Head..”​

So I guess it depends on what you're trying to do with the Triaxis. If you're shooting for a Recto tone in LD1 Red, or a Mark IV (with presence shift) tone in LD2 Green, the 2:90 might be a good choice. But otherwise both amps are Simulclass, have Deep and 1/2 Drive, and the just the Quad + 395 brings up a pretty massive sound in my mind.

Marshall_SLX

Ill likely buy whatever opportunity comes up first... head says 2:90 but the heart says 395... i dont want any bigger than a 3 space so the 295 and 400 are out and i already have a 50/50 factory deep mod which i like but i want one of the big boys...

Marshall_SLX

One other thing i have considered although it does violate the 3ru rule is to rack mount a mkiii head (cheapest) and often the same price as the 2:90... since the graphic EQ is after the FX return it is perfect for the Triaxis... limits it to mono though and its not as good for the Quad stacking those eqs on top of eachother even though you can turn them off i still dont like it... im going to try it out with my triaxis and mkiii to see how it goes... although i get along fine with the dynamic voice.

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
@Marshall_SLX This is sort of how I ended up with a Mark III and selling my Studio Preamp, haha. Just wanted a better power amp than my 50/50 for the Pre, and saw a good deal. Ended up working better than I expected :)

I've also used a Mark IV as a power amp, because the the EQ can be triggered by a footswitch.

This will be for use with my Triaxis and Quad preamp... looks to me like it all comes down to the "modern" voicing switch on the 2:90... 395 seems to get better tone and build quality reviews but im playing mostly high gain thrash... will i miss the modern voicing?
The Modern switch is awesome.

It decides everything for me and helps make the MkIII-based Lead 2 channel on my Quad sound more aggressive than my MkIII head. Plus the 2:90 is much more compact.

Trending Topics