Mesa 295 power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hydesg, May 7, 2016.

1. Hydesg

Hydesg Member

2. slybird

slybird Member

I would imagine it is safe. Mesa power amps are bomb proof. That is a heavy unit, not an easy thing to move. Unless you want the simulclass and its coloration I would probably find an old 50/50. A 50/50 will save some some dough, weight, rack space, and will need four less tubes when the time comes. The 50/50 also has a low watt switch that some love and some hate. Best of luck.

3. mrwhipple

mrwhipple Supporting Member

The 295 is is really nice unit. Can't go wrong with one of these. Nice full sound with good headroom.

I use to run the 400 with a quad preamp. The strategy simul-class series are fantastic.

4. logdrum

logdrum Member

You can use it as a stereo amp as well - great for vinyl spinning. You just need a good preamp or a mixer.

5. Wyzard

Wyzard Member

I have several of these, and have used them extensively over the years. Get it, and get a competent tech to give it the once-over .... looking at the power tubes, I'd say you might need to check for matching. Obviously go over the guts too - these units are getting to the point, like older amps generally, where caps etc. are going, and need replacing.

Great sound, and worth quite a bit more than the money they seem to go for, I've always felt - and why I started collecting Boogie stuff generally.