Mesa 2x12 vertical cab question

Hi guys,

Just got this cab and its my first mesa cab.

The cab has two Celestion Vintage 30's are you probably all know.

I noticed as soon as I got the cab home (its used), that the top speaker is much louder than the bottom one. I checked and they are both V30's in there.

Now I know its pointing at me and would give the perception that its louder, but when I put my ear up the to bottom speaker, all i can mostly here is the top one. there is sound from the bottom V30 but its certainly not as loud as the top one.

Is this normal?, or should both speakers be at exactly the same volume?.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
Hi guys,

Just got this cab and its my first mesa cab.

The cab has two Celestion Vintage 30's are you probably all know.

I noticed as soon as I got the cab home (its used), that the top speaker is much louder than the bottom one. I checked and they are both V30's in there.

Now I know its pointing at me and would give the perception that its louder, but when I put my ear up the to bottom speaker, all i can mostly here is the top one. there is sound from the bottom V30 but its certainly not as loud as the top one.

Is this normal?, or should both speakers be at exactly the same volume?.

Appreciate any help.

Cheers
Is it closed back on both speakers?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
I would lay the cab on it's side and see if you notice the same volume difference. If you do, then I would check the wiring and speakers. Make sure they are actually the same model and impedence.

BuckshotJenkins

Gold Supporting Member
I had a similar issue myself when I bought that same cabinet used. I took off the back, and sure enough it had 2 16ohm V30's. To me, the slant of the cabinet, while very cool and probably appreciated on a stage, aimed that V30 right in my face which was not appreciated in my relatively quiet jam room at home. Laying on its side not only revealed the other speaker's existence, but made the cab sound a bit more mellow. Probably simply due to the distance of those speakers from my head.

*I use mine with Mark V 25, and at this moment the combination is too sharp for my ears. I'm looking to change the speakers out or buy a new cabinet entirely…or maybe the Mark V 25's days are numbered for me. Hope you have a much better experience with your signal chain!

RadioRadio

I have one of these as well. Sounds much better with the casters off and sitting on the stage. IMHO the coupling helps the bottom speaker and adds some low end which smooths out the overall sound.

Trending Topics