Mesa 5:25 Combo Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by docsmith, Feb 6, 2012.

1. docsmith

docsmith Member

Hi all,

I've been eying a Mesa 5:25 combo as a grab & go amp for a while now. My main rig is a rack system featuring the Fractal Axe-Fx2.

I could've sworn the 5:25 started out as a 1x10" combo. But when I was at Guitar Center, they had a 1x12" combo. And the Mesa Boogie website indicates it's a 1x12". Was I hallucinating the 1x10" configuration? Or did they re-configure it? I prefer the 12" speaker. If it has the 12" one, it's as close to my all time favorite Mesa amp - the old Studio .22 (which I had and sold...which was the worst decision ever).

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express.htm

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express-525-1x12-enlarged.htm

What cool little amp! I must have one!

Doc Smith

2. jfwund

jfwund Member

There used to be a 1x10 and a 1x12 5:25. I don't know if that's changed recently.
    For the $$, I'd recommend the 5:50 -- I AB'd them extensively when I bought my Mesa 2 years ago, and the 5:50 sounded fuller and more "alive." The tubes are different in each, so that might account for the difference, at least going by the 5 watt setting...

Either way, though, they're great amps. I absolutely love my 5:50.

3. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Both 1x10 and 1x12 are available.

The 1x12 sounds better to me.

I actually prefer the 1x12 5:25 to the 5:50.