Mesa 5:50 / 5:25 at home?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mole351, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Mole351

Mole351 Member

How does this amp sound at lower volumes? Interested but will be playing a lot at home. How is sound on the 5/15(25) watt power setting? Seems the 5:50 would be most versatile in terms of needs for playing at home and gigging?

2. Lef T

Lef T Member

I bought the 5.50+ combo two months ago.
    Sounds great at home at low volumes.
    I picked this amp to gig with also.
    For me the weight and size was important.
    The weight of the combo let's me lug it around without
    killing my back.
    My TRRI was beautiful,but it was just too big and heavy.
    You can,t go wrong with the 5.50
    50 watts and lots of clean if you want it.

3. blackie59

blackie59 Member

I had a 5:25 combo and it worked great at home. With the Master Volumes on both channels I survived newborn twin boys and a cranky wife. Now the kids are almost five and I'd sold it to get a Rectoverb 25. It's a little louder but it sounds really great. Mesa makes great amps.

4. Mole351

Mole351 Member

Thanks.

Similar to my situation as I have 2 small ones at home...only I dont plan on getting a new amp in a few years so want this to be the one for a long time. Leaning toward the 5:50 for that reason assuming it will work for now (don't plan on getting a louder amp down the road)

5. melodiusthunk

melodiusthunk Bronzd & Supported Member Silver Supporting Member

I have a 5:50 + that I play in a 12' X 12' room at home, and while it does sound"better" with the MV cranked up above 10 o'clock, the combination of 3 power modes, 2 channels with 2 gain modes each gives a wide variety of useful tones across a wide range of volumes.

All that said, a) I live in a sparsely populated area and b) my wife generally leaves the house when I play through this amp, regardless of what power mode I'm using.

In my opinion, it is really more of a stage amp than a bedroom amp, but it does sound good jamming with a friend who plugs his harp mic into a 2 watt roland microcube with the Mesa MV dialed in at noon, so, yes, I would say the Express would be a good choice if looking for one amp that can both play nice at home and hang with a loud band on stage.

6. David Garner

David Garner Member

I have a 5:25 1x10 and I used to have a 5:50 1x12. Especially on 5 watt mode, they sound fantastic at bedroom volume. 5 watts is still loud, and it starts to get thin much below 9:00 on the master, so it's not really a "2:00am, kids asleep in the next room" amp, but it can sound great at very reasonable volumes.

7. Guild_S-100

Guild_S-100 Member

I had 5:50 non plus 2x12 combo before and it was loud for home or bedroom use. That amp was ok but I hated the master volume, low volume to boom!

Im not sure about the 5:50+ version if its the same way though...

8. Mole351

Mole351 Member

Thanks again for all of the feedback.

How about the difference in the 5:25 and 5:50 when talking Bout home use/volume levels? Don't plan on being a 2am kids asleep amp but just can't run it wide open a lot of the time...

9. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

At higher volumes I prefer the tone of the 5:50+. At low volumes they sound identical. Great amps with a good taper on the master volume so it's easy to dial in a good low volume tone.
    I sold my 5:50+ to finance my Mark25. If your planning on spending more time on the higher gain channel I'd get the Mark25, if your playing clean to a bluesy OD then I'd lean towards the Express.

10. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

I have a express 5 50 non plus combo and while it can do low volumes fairly well the master volume doesn't have much of a sweep before it gets pretty loud. So you kinda have to give it gentle nudges to get your volume right. Still, it's a dynamite amp for the money!

11. Lef T

Lef T Member

Maybe give the Lonestar Special a listen too.
    When I tried out the 5.50,I tried out the LS too.
    Very sweet sounding.
    Weighs more than the 5.50 though,is more expensive and
    I chose the 5.50 because it had more power which I
    would need for playing in a band situation

12. Al Rose

Al Rose Silver Supporting Member

I have a 5:25+, and use the 5 watt setting at home all the time. Sounds great to me. The 5:50+ would be 10 watts, which is only 3 db more. Not very much. For home either would be fine. The real question is do you like EL84's or 6L6 tubes?

Al

13. Mole351

Mole351 Member

Does the Express Plus have any more gain in tap than the original? While I'm not looking to get much into metal territory, I would like to get some good crunch/gain when playing rock. I want to be able to get as "heavy" as say G'n'R/Slash (realizing it's not a Marshall) or Zeppelin...but love cleans and blues as well. Youtube vids sound good but kind of hard to gauge.

Hope to be trying one out in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  14. David Garner

David Garner Member

The original Express will get heavier than GnR. I'm sure the Plus model will as well.

15. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

16. Jonny G

Jonny G Member

Have the original 5:25 (non plus) 1x12. Great sounding amp that's really good in 5watt class A at home (pretty civilised volume) but plenty enough headroom to gig with clean - surprising level of headroom actually for a 2xEL84 amp, though the V30 (100DB) probably helps.

17. Mole351

Mole351 Member

Thanks all. Pretty sure I have SOME sort of Express in my future.

I like both the head and the combo - would the head/cab sound ok at lower volumes with a 1x12 cab? I'd love to be able to get the big head/cab sound but also want it to sound ok at home...

18. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

I had a 5:25+ head and now have the combo version, I liked the added portability but that may not be a factor for you. Both sounded great, the one larger weight instead of the head/cab works for jamming situations really well but it's just preference. I run the combo through my Steamboat Hemp 100 and other speakers to save the tubes sometimes, so the option is there either way.

19. David Garner

David Garner Member

Head and cab should work fine. My 5:25 sounds really good with my 2x12 with G12H Anniversaries in it. Even on 5 watt mode it sounds fantastic.

20. Gridlock

Gridlock Member

I owned a 5:50 non-plus for a while. A great sounding amp at both rock band and at bedroom volumes. I loved the Clean and Blues channels. Only sold the Express to fund another vintage amp.