Mesa .50 Caliber Plus, vacuum sound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by G22, Jan 30, 2015.

1. G22

G22 Member

Hi TGP,

Hi have an old 1984 Mesaboogie .50 Caliber Plus.

There's a little background noise at 3-4 and it doesn't come from the guitar itself, I've unplugged everything and the noise is still there. I guess this noise is normal as it's an old amp and I can live with it (Tell me if I'm wrong).

Where it comes to be an issue is when I crank it up. I want to put my amp at 7-8 and lower the volume on my guitar to get that classic tube from the tune. The little overdriven clean. BUT WHEN I CRANK IT UP I hear a vacuum sound from the amp and it sucks. Really it's louder thank you can think.

Is that normal or is it broken? Because like I said at 3-4 it sounds incredible, this amp delivers an incredible clean tone.

???????????? :mob

2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Have you replaced tubes?
    If so, filter caps maybe?
    Shouldn't do that. The .50+ is a good sounding lil amp when it's running the way it should.

3. hogy

hogy Member

Well, they don't call them "vacuum tubes" for nothing.

4. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

Def not normal. I have had a 1x12 combo for 24 years and it is not noisy. It is either a tube or a cap problem. They also have a Random problem with the effects loop which can cause some weird signal drop but your sounds like a power tube issue....

Great amp overall.

5. G22

G22 Member

Thanks guys, tubes are all new since last year and havn't played that much. It must be a problem inside. I have an amp guy in town and I'll bring it to him!

Could this be my cabinet?

6. NoBrakes

NoBrakes Member

Do a internet search on 50 caliber + noise. They have some issues. They can be a bit noisy and they are basically OK.